Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2012, 22:57   #16
BHPian

Re: Availability of diesel in the USA

I agree with tj123.
Some more points :
1. Do you have to pay custom duty when car is received at LA port?
2. Possible damage during shipping and headache of claiming insurance after that? Remember the shipping time is 20 days
Old 24th August 2012, 00:54   #17
BHPian

Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciate the practical tips!

Getting back to the shipping. It is very easy to ship a car on a temporary basis from here to the US. They don't require a "carnet" (it is sort of like a passport for the car), for travel in North America. The US customs require a form to be filled which says that you will export the car back after a specified time-period (its usually 12 months).

I went through a freight company called Global Freight. They specialize in vehicle freight, so they organized all the paperwork (all their costs are included with shipping costs). All I had to do was get a roadworthy certificate from VicRoads (VicRoads : VicRoads) saying the car is registered here, and is currently roadworthy.

The US customs (US CBP) don't require the car to pass any inspection etc. because the car is only going to be there on a temporary basis. If I was shipping the car permanently then it would be a big hassle, but its fine on a temporary basis).
Old 24th August 2012, 06:18   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper1941 View Post
So just wondering if diesel is available at most petrol stations, and also what would be the cost per gallon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got BHP? View Post
Diesel is widely available in the North American continent today. Infact I drive a diesel powered car and never found any difficulty in finding diesel. Price is US $4.50/US Gallon. The price changes every day by few cents though. The price given here is what I paid at Chevron gas station at Baline, WA near USA Canada border.

Just want to point out that in addition to the highways, diesel is also widely available in cities so you needn't worry at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Right hand drive car in USA? Is it permitted?
Yes, RHD is permitted. Most of the postal delivery vans are RHD, but that's mainly due to residential mailboxes being on the right hand side - so the postman/woman doesn't have to step out.

Enjoy your trip and do keep us updated as to how it's progressing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks