Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2012, 21:54   #1
BHPian

2013 Land Rover Freelander 2

MODS: Couldn't find an appropriate thread, hence I started a new one.

These are the first official pictures of the facelifted Land Rover Freelander 2, to be officially revealed at the upcoming Moscow Motor Show.

Quote:
The subtle exterior tweaks include new re-profiled front and rear lights that feature the latest in Xenon and LED technology. The grille also gets a new finish.

The interior is where all the major changes are seen. The chief addition is an all-new centre console. This houses a 7-inch touchscreen that incorporates the audio controls for the all-new Meridian audio system. This upmarket audio system will also be available in the all-new Range Rover.

The dial of the Terrain Response system behind the gear lever is replaced by a series of switches, which also frees up additional storage space. The parking brake is now electrically operated.

There is a new 5-inch colour screen that sits between the instrument dials in the instrument panel, while the docking station for the key has been replaced by a keyless go system, which allows the engine to be started as long as the key is present in the car.

There is also the addition of a new Dynamic trim in some global markets. This variant comes with 19-inch, 10-spoke alloy wheels, a bodykit and gloss black trim for exterior detailing.

The Freelander’s engine range carries over unchanged from before, and will be powered by a 2.2-litre turbodiesel producing 148bhp (SD) and 187bhp (HSE).

The revised Freelander 2 / LR2 will make its global premiere at the Moscow International Motor Show on Wednesday 29 August, 2012, before it goes on sale this fall.
SOURCE: Land Rover Freelander 2 facelift revealed | News | Autocar India

2013 Land Rover Freelander 2-12.jpg

2013 Land Rover Freelander 2-2.jpg

2013 Land Rover Freelander 2-0.jpg

2013 Land Rover Freelander 2-8.jpg

2013 Land Rover Freelander 2-5.jpg

2013 Land Rover Freelander 2-10.jpg

2013 Land Rover Freelander 2-6.jpg

2013 Land Rover Freelander 2-11.jpg

2013 Land Rover Freelander 2-2013lrfreelanderfacelift5325255b225255d.jpg

Damn! The facelift looks stunning! Love the new centre-console, especially the new analog clock. The new headlamps have made it even more drool-worthy. The Freelander-2 is just perfect for my requirements. If only it was a little bit cheaper.
Abhinav667 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2012, 22:26   #2
BHPian

Re: 2013 Land Rover Freelander 2

Looks quite stunning this facelifted Freelander. Especially the new exterior color and neat dashboard layout.
Strange they missed out on the popular facelift trick - the DRLs.
Old 23rd August 2012, 23:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

Love the analog clock.
Love the leather seats.

Hate the headlights.
I am still convinced that SUV's should have normal headlights.
The whole HID/LED makes them look like "Trying too hard".
Old 24th August 2012, 11:49   #4
BHPian

Is there any info about it subsequently coming to the Indian market? I am contemplating to purchase the baby Landie soon, but wouldn't mind hanging out a little while longer. Should probably be worth the wait.
Old 24th August 2012, 13:47   #5
BHPian

Just beautiful! Thanks for sharing. Any idea how much I'd need to save up to buy this beauty in India ?
Old 24th August 2012, 15:26   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220kmph View Post
Is there any info about it subsequently coming to the Indian market? I am contemplating to purchase the baby Landie soon, but wouldn't mind hanging out a little while longer. Should probably be worth the wait.
Nothing official yet but since the Freelander 2 is assembled in Maharashtra, it'll take a couple of months to begin with. Expect the facelift to be assembled starting later this year or in 2013. Do wait for the facelift to come-out as even the current car will have some discounts on it then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
Just beautiful! Thanks for sharing. Any idea how much I'd need to save up to buy this beauty in India ?
The current car costs close to Rs. 39-40 lakhs (on-road), don't know whether the facelift will cost more or less than that.
Abhinav667 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2012, 15:35   #7
BHPian

Few of the updates are good. Especially the interiors. However the rear end remains uninspiring as earlier.
Old 27th August 2012, 14:36   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav667 View Post
Nothing official yet but since the Freelander 2 is assembled in Maharashtra, it'll take a couple of months to begin with. Expect the facelift to be assembled starting later this year or in 2013. Do wait for the facelift to come-out as even the current car will have some discounts on it then.

The current car costs close to Rs. 39-40 lakhs (on-road), don't know whether the facelift will cost more or less than that.
How does it compare to X3, I am looking at the same option either FR2 (face lifted) or X3. Is there any discussion on these 2 options?
Old 28th August 2012, 04:07   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknair View Post
How does it compare to X3, I am looking at the same option either FR2 (face lifted) or X3. Is there any discussion on these 2 options?
It depends actually. If you're going to be driving it on tarmac, then the X3 makes more sense. Not only is it better to drive but because its a soft-roader it behaves more like a sedan. The Freelander2 on the other hand is a scaled-down version of a mud-plugging monster (read: Land Rover). Because of the taller springs, the handling - although great - would be a little more SUV-ish. There would be a fair amount of body-roll and the steering feedback would be limited. The Land Rover then is perfect if you have an appetite for off-roading.

I personally like the Freelander2 more so I may be a little biased towards it. If you want something more exclusive, you could also checkout the Volvo XC60.
Old 28th August 2012, 08:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

I have been a HUGE fan of LRs. I have always dreamed to own a RR Sport.

Some day, Freelander would be my first step into the LR territory. I loved the new facelift. Looks modern, yet brute. I guess this will look smashing in darker colours like brown, grey and black.
Old 28th August 2012, 08:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

Very nice except for the shape of the taillights and the gate. Land Rover should have changed it.

That's the most unappealing part of the current Freelander too.
Old 28th August 2012, 10:55   #12
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The freelander is a superb vehicle but it a quite overpriced in India. (considering that they are reported to be CKD units.) But then so are many of the alternatives.

On road and from a practical point of view the X3 and even more so the Q5 would seem to make more sense.

Though personally I do love the Feelander 2 more. TATA JLR should go a bit aggressive on their entry models to get some numbers on the road initially.
Old 28th August 2012, 11:03   #13
BANNED

Quote:
I extensively TDed the FR-2 and the X3 at Bangalore. While the on road (NICE) the X3 felt faster and better planted, when I took it into one of the gullies to check the suspension and pothole handling, the FR-2 was way better. Supple, tough and felt like it was made for that terrain.

I also took both of them offroading to a construction site and it goes without saying that the FR-2 beat the living daylights out of the X3 there.

What would I buy @ 40.00lac INR? The FR-2 SE in a shade of green or white.
Old 28th August 2012, 14:17   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I extensively TDed the FR-2 and the X3 at Bangalore. While the on road (NICE) the X3 felt faster and better planted, when I took it into one of the gullies to check the suspension and pothole handling, the FR-2 was way better. Supple, tough and felt like it was made for that terrain.

I also took both of them offroading to a construction site and it goes without saying that the FR-2 beat the living daylights out of the X3 there.

What would I buy @ 40.00lac INR? The FR-2 SE in a shade of green or white.
Thanks, have you tried the HSE model, is there a noticeable power difference between SE & HSE?
Any details on when they would launch the face lift?

Also, I hear that they may launch the FR-3 by mid 2014, any clue?
Old 28th August 2012, 14:34   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks, have you tried the HSE model, is there a noticeable power difference between SE & HSE?
Any details on when they would launch the face lift?

Also, I hear that they may launch the FR-3 by mid 2014, any clue?
I tried the HSE too and the difference in power becomes evident only at speeds beyond 160kmph. The other features are only cosmetic in nature and can be ignored.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks