Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2012, 15:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

Keralite Taxi Driver wins a Lamborghini in Abu Dhabi!

Soupi Abdulla, a Malayali taxi driver won a lucky draw hosted by Al Jimi Mall. What's the prize? a gleaming new Lamborghini Gallardo LP550-2!

GTSpirit.com
Keralite Taxi Driver wins a Lamborghini in Abu Dhabi!-lamborghinigallardolp5502winner.jpg
Quote:
An Indian taxi driver got lucky recently after entering a prize draw at a local shopping mall in Abu Dhabi. Soupi Abdulla was chosen out of nearly a quarter of a million entries. His prize? A 2012 Lamborghini Gallardo LP550-2 valued at Dh750,000 (€163,119 at today’s exchange rate). The prize had been offered by Al Jimi Mall for those shoppers that spent more than 68 USD and it could not have gone to a better recipient.

Soupi Abdulla originally came from a “very poor region” of Kerala. He currently shares a one-bedroom flat with two brothers in Al Ain and has never owned a car. Sadly, he probably won’t ever drive the Lamborghini as he plans to keep it at the mall until he can sell it. News outlet The National reports that he will use the money to repay a loan he took out to build his family home in Kerala with the remainder going to build houses for the needy in his village and donations to his local mosque.

Abdulla currently earns Dh1,000 (around €217) a month as a driver for a food company. He keeps Dh300 for himself and sends the rest to his wife, two children, disabled brother and widowed mother. Selling the car will make a huge difference to his finances. It should also prevent a recurrence of the accident that happened last time somebody won a Lamborghini!
Scorcher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 17:58   #2
BHPian

Re: Keralite Taxi Driver wins a Lamborghini in Abu Dhabi!

I read about this in the newspapers last week, and was searching for a few photos regarding the same.

He is a Lucky fellow, and i hope he gets to redline it insanely, before he sells it to someone.
Old 27th August 2012, 19:22   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

What are the odds : 1 out of 250,000. And the man did it! I'm really happy for him because:

Quote:
The National reports that he will use the money to repay a loan he took out to build his family home in Kerala with the remainder going to build houses for the needy in his village and donations to his local mosque.
Good things happen to good people. The man has a family dependent on him, including a disabled brother & a widowed mother, and he's still thinking larger than most of us. Hats off.

Last edited by GTO : 27th August 2012 at 19:24.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 19:25   #4
Team-BHP Support

However, I think that last line is in poor taste and has arrongance and snootiness written all over it.

Quote:
Selling the car will make a huge difference to his finances. It should also prevent a recurrence of the accident that happened last time somebody won a Lamborghini!
Zappo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 22:35   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajoy123 View Post
I read about this in the newspapers last week, and was searching for a few photos regarding the same.

He is a Lucky fellow, and i hope he gets to redline it insanely, before he sells it to someone.
exactly thought so, at least a 10 Km drive before he sells it.

But I have always thought all these were a gimmick and trick to woo customers as who ever got enlisted would never follow up to see who won it and was it genuine or do they ? an old age marketing thingy. So, never tried my luck in all these draws and now i feel even i should go ahead and participate, just a give a try

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks