Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2013, 12:31   #31
M35
BHPian

Re: Chinese Cars : Would they sell in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_s14 View Post
Very true sir. In the end, this is the only factor that should matter to the user. This and the fact that they have to make sure that their vehicles don't break down in india, otherwise they won't be doing their already tarnished image any good.
It won't be a big task for those chinese brands to offer more reliable vehicles than some of our home grown products.

Image correction,indeed will be a challenge for them especially in India. We are used to associate anything cheap [both price and quality] with Chinese whether they are made in China or in some streets in India.
Old 3rd January 2013, 12:39   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
It won't be a big task for those chinese brands to offer more reliable vehicles than some of our home grown products.

Image correction,indeed will be a challenge for them especially in India. We are used to associate anything cheap [both price and quality] with Chinese whether they are made in China or in some streets in India.
Regarding the streets in India manufacturing and assembling of Chinese products:
Most of the retro-fitters who install CNG/LPG kits in India are importing the gas tanks and most of their components from Chinese manufacturers and are getting them homologated in India.
And surprisingly, the failure percentage of Chinese components is much lesser than their European counterparts, who incidentally are "supposed" to be manufacturing products of a "higher quality".
I_s14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 16:58   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

I believe that the Indian market will lap up Chinese cars- considering the massive leap forward the Chinese automotive industry has made, with their borrowed engineering and low production costs.

The availability of Chinese cars in India is more a question of political will than anything else - will the Indian automotive players allow the government to open the flood gates for cheaper cars?

End of the day, if the Indian consumer can perfectly live with 10-15 year models still being sold in different guises, that is a necessary mindset to buy similarly engineered cars from China.
Old 4th January 2013, 22:15   #34
Senior - BHPian

This time, Chinese set eyes on Gujarat for auto base

Saw in rediff com today. Gujarat will soom be a hub for Chinese car manufacture.
Link click here

Quote:
Gujarat seems to be emerging as the favourite investment destination for automobile companies. After Tata Motors, Maruti Suzuki India, General Motors India and Ford India opted for production facilities in the state, leading Chinese automobile company Great Wall Motor (GWM) is now eyeing the state as a potential destination to set up its manufacturing base in India.

GWM, listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, is a leading non-government automobile company in China. For 2011, it recorded a turnover of 30.141 billion yuan (Rs 26,288.6 crore) and an operating profit of 4.079 billion yuan (Rs 3,557.6 crore), according to the company's website.

A senior Gujarat government official said, "Officials of Great Wall Motor had visited Gujarat sometime back to survey possibilities for setting up a manufacturing plant in the state.

They were shown land at Sanand (where Tata Motors and Ford India have plants) and Halol (where General Motors India has a plant)." The state government was awaiting feedback from the company, he added. GWM could invest about Rs 2,000-3,000 crore (Rs 20-30 billion) in the plant in Gujarat.

A senior official at the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers said GWM was considering the states of Gujarat, Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu for a prospective production site.

GWM manufactures sports utility vehicles (SUVs) and pick-ups. The Haval SUV, the Great Wall PC and the Wingle pickup are the primary categories in its product range.

The company has production bases at Baoding and Tianjin in China, with an overall production capacity of 8,00,000 vehicles a year.

"Great Wall Motor vehicles have already been exported to more than 100 countries, with more than 800 overseas sales networks across about 80 countries all over the world," says the company's website.

Europe, central and South America, Asia, Africa, Russia, Australia, South Africa, Italy and Chile are the major export destinations for the company. GWM has about 30 holding subsidiaries, with about 48,000 employees.

Last edited by rajeev k : 4th January 2013 at 22:17.
Old 4th January 2013, 22:35   #35
Senior - BHPian

We Indians are obsessed with value - if these chinese cars offer that, then its a no brainer. Whether its an original design or a copied or a stole one or so - nothing matters! No major technical breakthru has happened over the last decade (or more) and the technical know-how is available with all manufacturers..

Rather than taking the route all-over by themselves, they should find an indian partner though personally, the made-in-china doesnt matter to me anymore.
I am typing this on my Lenovo
Old 10th June 2013, 16:23   #36
M35
BHPian

Chinese carmaker Great Wall Motors may set up plant at Pune

As per this article on ET, China's largest SUV maker, Great Wall Motors is likely to be the first carmaker from China to set up a plant on Indian soil. China's eighth-largest carmaker has zeroed in on Pune in Maharashtra for the plant and aims to start production by 2016.

The article says, GWM has also decided to launch its globally success Haval H5 model in India.The product is likely to be showcased along with a few other models from the GWM stable in the February 2014 Auto Expo in New Delhi.
source and read more:

A few pictures of GWM H5 clicked be me today,here in C-H-I-N-A.
Chinese Cars : Would they sell in India?-h51.jpg

Chinese Cars : Would they sell in India?-h52.jpg

Chinese Cars : Would they sell in India?-h53.jpg

Chinese Cars : Would they sell in India?-h54.jpg
Old 17th February 2014, 07:46   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Chinese auto company JAC plans to launch passenger cars, medium to heavy trucks in India.

One of China's oldest automakers, Anhui Jianghuai Automobile Company, plans to launch passenger cars and medium to heavy trucks in India.The company, also known as JAC, has sent its top executives to India in recent months to firm up its debut plans and to identify the location where it can set up a plant to assemble completely knocked down (CKD) kits imported from China.
JAC is the third Chinese automaker after Beiqi Foton and Great Wall Motors to plan a foray in the domestic market.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/30537670.cms
Old 17th February 2014, 18:54   #38
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Chinese auto company JAC plans to launch passenger cars, medium to heavy trucks in India.
Worth taking a look at their Urban SUV s5 !

Name:  s5 2.png
Views: 1130
Size:  319.2 KB

Name:  s5 1.png
Views: 1124
Size:  446.7 KB
M35 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2019, 17:34   #39
BHPian

Reviving an old thread.

I briefly drove and extensively sat in a GAC GS4. It has been rented by a friend overseas. He was there for a few months and asked for the "cheapest SUV". He was given this - brand new at a fairly low price by the rental firm.

Cosmetically, the car ticked all the boxes. There were some panel gaps here and there but the fit and finish was excellent overall.

Driving can be called "drab". It was functional, there was no wow factor.

It did come with 6 airbags and a host of bells and whistles.

Do I think it would work in the Indian market? It reminded me of the Chinese cell phone onslaught which displaced some of the top brands off the perch. If priced right and loaded to the gill with features and offering good mileage, it is possible that the Chinese might do really well here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks