Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2006, 18:32   #1
BHPian

Production Ends On Porsche Carrera GT: The Most Successful Supercar In History

The manufacture of the most successful supercar in history has come to an end. Production of the Carrera GT at Porsche’s facility in Leipzig, Germany, concluded on Saturday, May 6, 2006, bringing to a close the latest series in a line of ultra-exclusive and ultra-performing automobiles from Porsche.

In its brief production run, and befitting its ethereal performance, the award-winning Carrera GT was named “Best Dream Car 2004” by Road & Track magazine, and “Best Dream Machine” by the popular MotorWeek television program in 2005. “Even a short ride in this carbon-fiber wonder-car will spoil you for the rest of your life,” said MotorWeek host John Davis. “The Carrera GT is the best motivation to get rich that we’ve ever driven.”
Even in an economic climate that did not favor products in this segment of the market, Porsche’s V-10 powered supercar has sold in unprecedented numbers. More than 1,270 Carrera GTs have been sold since its introduction in late 2003. To date, 604 have found homes in North America. This figure represents a greater number than the total production of the McLaren F1, Ferrari Enzo, and Pagani Zonda models combined.
The Carrera GT is a storied member in a line of limited edition supercars, a lineage born from Porsche’s experience at the highest levels of world-class endurance racing. The Carrera GT owes its product modeling as an exclusive, racing-derived, ultra-high-performance roadcar to Porsche’s first supercar, the 959. Storming the world automotive stage at the Frankfurt Auto Show in 1985, the 959 was intended for “Group B” racing competition, and served as Porsche’s technology flagship—a rolling paradigm of automotive performance from which future models could draw even loftier benchmarks.

The Carrera GT supercar also had its genesis in the racing program, but instead became a street-only machine. The Carrera GT evolved from a 5.5-liter V-10 engine program originally developed for endurance competition. Enlarged to 5.7-liters for the production car, the naturally aspirated Carrera GT’s V-10 produces 605 (SAE) horsepower at 8,000 rpm, and this power is routed through a production car first—Porsche’s Ceramic Composite Clutch (PCCC®). Only 6.65 inches (169mm) in diameter, the race-caliber clutch easily handles the Carrera GT’s prodigious output while allowing the entire powertrain to sit lower in the chassis, dropping the center of gravity for even sharper handling.

The Carrera GT’s wide use of cutting edge materials prompted Popular Science magazine in 2003 to name the exotic machine the “Best of What’s New” for its advanced technology and chassis development. The Carrera GT’s monocoque chassis is constructed from bonded layers of carbon fiber tissue, resin, and aluminum and plastic honeycomb materials that are incredibly light, but strong. The entire chassis weighs just over 220 pounds (100 kg), and is mated to equally esoteric materials including forged magnesium wheels, and the staggering 380mm Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes (PCCB®).

Thanks to near fanatical attention to weight savings, the performance results are stunning. The Carrera GT will accelerate from a standing start to 62 mph (100 km/h) in only 3.9 seconds, at which point, things really get going. The 99 mph (160 km/h) mark arrives in less than seven seconds, 124 mph (200 km/h) in under 10 seconds, and the Carrera GT can achieve a top test-track speed of 205 mph (330 km/h). Despite the otherworldly performance, the Carrera GT is still one of few supercars that can be driven every day. Traction control, air conditioning, GPS navigation, a Bose audio system, and a fitted, 5-piece, matched-leather luggage set are standard equipment.

The Porsche Carrera GT first went on sale in North America on January 31, 2004, and pricing for this ultimate Porsche supercar is $440,000 (USD).

Courtesy : www.fast-autos.net
Old 15th May 2006, 19:14   #2
BHPian

Was watching "Europe's richest men" and there was a Hotelier who lives next door to Elton John and owns a Carrera GT, the car was poetry in motion, simply beautiful!!!!

It really is a legend!!!
Old 15th May 2006, 20:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

The sad thing about the CGT is that, for all its amazing technology and weight-saving measures, it still was only as fast in a straight line as the rather comparitively porky McMerc SLR.

The fact that it was supposedly a handful to drive, and could only be driven in a lively manner by very good drivers, was another limiting factor.

Why do I mention this? I read in an Autocar issue that values of second-hand CGT's were not very good, and that demand wasnt as strong as it should have been.

Sad, for this is defenitely one of my favourites. What a soundtrack!! What an engine!! What an amazing car!!!
Old 15th May 2006, 21:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero
The sad thing about the CGT is that, for all its amazing technology and weight-saving measures, it still was only as fast in a straight line as the rather comparitively porky McMerc SLR.

The fact that it was supposedly a handful to drive, and could only be driven in a lively manner by very good drivers, was another limiting factor.

Why do I mention this? I read in an Autocar issue that values of second-hand CGT's were not very good, and that demand wasnt as strong as it should have been.

Sad, for this is defenitely one of my favourites. What a soundtrack!! What an engine!! What an amazing car!!!

CGT is one of the finest cars ever made to be driven by almost PROs...you need to be concentrating when you drive and you need to give it much more respect than you would say an SLR or Even some faster cars like the Zonda..anyhow its resale is pathetic and you can get almost new ones for about dealer invoice..

But it was a car not meant for straight line performance but for track use..

Inspite of all the exotic materials and weight saving measures it weight a whole lot compared to true light weight cars like the Zonda and the Saleen etc...

hell if you see even the Z06 is either 15lb lighter or 15 lb heavier which shows that they could have done much better..

But I still love the car..its rolling art and I will have mine in yellow please..

there is one yellow one for sale in my area..simply awesome..has been there for few months now..
Old 17th May 2006, 14:58   #5
BHPian

It's one of the greatest sports cars ever built on the planet. And the best Porsche ever built. I still don't understand why people buy the Enzo Ferrari if they can get the Maserati MC12 or the Carrera GT.
Old 17th May 2006, 19:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

People buy the Enzo instead of the Maser because it is cheaper and has more power.

But I dont know why people ignore the CGT and buy the Enzo!!

At that end of the car mayrket spectrum, its more of personal preference and less of budget or any material values of which car is better overall etc etc.
Old 17th May 2006, 20:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

One of my old German colleagues, told me once that he had a porsche CGT. His girlfriend of that time used to stay around 220+ km from his city and he used to make it in an hour or so regularly. He sold it off as he got married later and had a family to support.
Old 17th May 2006, 20:31   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri
It's one of the greatest sports cars ever built on the planet. And the best Porsche ever built. I still don't understand why people buy the Enzo Ferrari if they can get the Maserati MC12 or the Carrera GT.
1 word...Pedegree....(history, pride etc to name a few more...hahahhah)

Enzo's sell easy...CGT's dont...people who logg for that kinda of performance and love their porsches, would settle for a TURBO or an RS..or even a GT3

i mean the ENZO is named so for a reason.. there is no way a true car lover would ever pass over something that is aptly named after a particular old italian!!

i would go for the MC12 or something else as well but....these decisions have a lot more than just performance and looks...

thats why they're are called SUPERCARS...

OT: i am sure that none of us would ever be completey satisfied with our choice of the right Supercar if ever given an option ...

its just too complicated!!!

Last edited by R32_GTR : 17th May 2006 at 20:33.
Old 17th May 2006, 21:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR

OT: i am sure that none of us would ever be completey satisfied with our choice of the right Supercar if ever given an option ...

its just too complicated!!!
give me a Pagani Zonda F Coupe/Roadster and I would be more than satisfied..

it performances better than 99.99% cars out there and it looks the best that is out there today..
Old 17th May 2006, 21:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

Truly one of the best supercars arnd, way better than the Enzo. The CGT's got killer looks and deadly performance. In that Top Gear episode in with Stig tests the CGT, even a pro driver like him found it difficult to keep that car under control. Shows how much skill and determination it takes to drive that one-of-a-kind car
Old 17th May 2006, 21:58   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day
give me a Pagani Zonda F Coupe/Roadster and I would be more than satisfied..

it performances better than 99.99% cars out there and it looks the best that is out there today..
I BET YOU WOULD COMPLAIN ABOUT OVERSTEER WITH THE ZONDA..

LACKS ANY TRACTION CONTROL SYSTEM WHAT SO EVER...NO LSD..THERE'S PLENTY MORE...

CHECK OUT ONE OF THE TOP GEAR SEASON 7 EPISODES..(CANT REMEMBER WHICH ONE AS I CHANGED THE FILE NAMES..) ITS THE ONE WITH
THE ZONDA F v/s F430 v/s GT40

I FIND CLARKSONS COMMENTS EXTRMELY BASELESS AND A MANIFESTATION OF HIS OWN PERCEPTION!!

BUT WHEN PITTED AGAINST CHEAPER COUNTERPARTS SUCH AS THE F430..IT WAS BEATEN BY A MILE IN PERFORMANCE..

HAVE A LOOK AT IT..MIGHT CHANGE YOUR MIND....AGAIN!!!

Note From Moderator - Please do not type messages in ALL CAPITALS

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th May 2006 at 06:10.
Old 17th May 2006, 22:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

I dont go too much by top gear, check of the review of Zonda F on fifth gear and see how beautifully the car handled..i think zonda is 99% perfect..
Old 17th May 2006, 22:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

I dont go too much by top gear, check out the review of Zonda F on fifth gear and see how beautifully the car handled..i think zonda is 99% perfect..

whereas enzo would be like 90ish, CGT would also be in the same range
Old 17th May 2006, 22:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

[quote=R32_GTR]
CHECK OUT ONE OF THE TOP GEAR SEASON 7 EPISODES..(CANT REMEMBER WHICH ONE AS I CHANGED THE FILE NAMES..) ITS THE ONE WITH
THE ZONDA F v/s F430 v/s GT40
/QUOTE]

First off, the Zonda used in that episode was a normal C12 S and NOT the F. Please clarify your facts first.

Second of all, how could anyone possibly think Porsches have lesser breeding than Ferrari?

They have just as much racing pedigree and success as Ferrari. Can Ferrari boast of wins in the Paris Dakar, various rallies, Le Mans, Sebring, Nurburgring ? No, because they only make cars for on road purposes. ( and have amazing success in on-road racing too)

Can they boast of a single car which, when modified suitably, can be made both into an amazing rally machine, an endurance racer, a clubsport racer, a stylish boulevard cruiser,? Only the 911 can.

Forget the 911, look at the various Porsche racers through the years, 550, 90/7/8, 917, 926LM. What amazing and succesful cars they all were!!

And inspite of all this heritage, they were not able to shift this car. It surprises me.
Old 18th May 2006, 00:56   #15
BANNED

Porsche Carrera GT! A car that was just made to steal hearts. And it did so.

I'm sure Porsche will soon come up with a more brilliant one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks