Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2013, 07:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford's new Ad sparks International Controversy! UPDATE: JWT fires 2 Senior employees

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
Unbelievable how politically correct the world is getting. It is a joke and if people can't treat it as such, it shows a complete lack of sense of humour
Would you still opine the same, if it had been a pic of somebody whom you would hold high instead of those celebrity bigwigs? Am afraid if we are playing double standards in passing on the leaked Ad as a humorous material.

Everybody loves humor. But then we should know where to draw a line. This is something totally indecent and unacceptable to pass it on as humor.

As pointed out elsewhere on this thread, Ford has got very little to do with this saga. It is primarily the Ad agency that is responsible for this whole episode.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 26th March 2013 at 07:21.
Old 26th March 2013, 07:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford's new Ad sparks International Controversy! UPDATE: JWT fires 2 Senior employees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Would you still opine the same, if it had been a pic of somebody whom you would hold high instead of those celebrity bigwigs? Am afraid if we are playing double standards in passing on the leaked Ad as a humorous material.

Everybody loves humor. But then we should know where to draw a line. This is something totally indecent and unacceptable to pass it on as humor.

As pointed out elsewhere on this thread, Ford has got very little to do with this saga. It is primarily the Ad agency that is responsible for this whole episode.
My opinion would not change irrespective of who it was in the ad. Fair enough, I take the view that it was done with humour and done to get a chuckle, not intended to be a political statement or some person's personal viewpoint like say women need to be subjugated, s&m etc.

I admit that I can see the lighter side of this. Maybe I am broad minded and do accept that more narrow minded people the world over are likely to be intolerant. Oh well, such is life.

Like they say, it takes all sorts to make a world.
pganapathy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 09:08   #18
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Unbelievable how politically correct the world is getting. It is a joke and if people can't treat it as such, it shows a complete lack of sense of humour.

Nowadays everything is mired in terms of being PC, that you are better off not even attempting to use your brain apparently. Sad reflection of society.

All those ad photos are meant to evoke a chuckle, not be treated as literal fact.
Couldn't have put that any better myself!

Quote:
Would you still opine the same, if it had been a pic of somebody whom you would hold high instead of those celebrity bigwigs?
www, there has to be a difference between people who take offence and resort to violent protests all over the world when somebody drew a cartoon about their God and us (the so called educated balanced folks).

If everybody starts taking offence at every joke, 90% of the jokes would have to be removed and the creators would have to issue apologies for hurting the sentiments of someone or the other. Life would be politically correct, but utterly dull without humor.

PS: Everyone is entitled to a opinion. Everyone has freedom to choose what offends them. The lower your threshold, the higher would be your chances of stress and choking arteries. All the best! I am out of here.

Last edited by SDP : 26th March 2013 at 09:11.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 09:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Like they say, it takes all sorts to make a world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
PS: Everyone is entitled to a opinion. Everyone has freedom to choose what offends them.
Absolutely. To each his own

Quote:
The lower your threshold, the higher would be your chances of stress and choking arteries. All the best! I am out of here.
Not really, just because somebody doesn't like this Ad they are not gonna choke up and die protesting it!

Quote:
Life would be politically correct, but utterly dull without humor.
You are right again.

But calling something obscene and indecent as humor is just not acceptable to me. IMO, it reflects the declining moral values in the society.

Tomorrow, some world renowned Ad agency would illustrate an orgy scene happening in the boot of the Ecosport to show how spacious the boot is and we would still laugh at it and pass it on as humor. Sad!

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 26th March 2013 at 09:32.
Old 26th March 2013, 10:15   #20
Senior - BHPian

Ford would never have approved these ads but this is how things do tend to unroll when social media platforms are in the mix , i think it was simply a case of the agency being creative for internal purposes or sharing stuff informally for fun with the ford guys and then someone made a silly judgement call of putting this up online.
Old 26th March 2013, 10:33   #21
MHG
BHPian

Quote:
But calling something obscene and indecent as humor is just not acceptable to me. IMO, it reflects the declining moral values in the society.

Tomorrow, some world renowned Ad agency would illustrate an orgy scene happening in the boot of the Ecosport to show how spacious the boot is and we would still laugh at it and pass it on as humor. Sad!
While I don't speak for the entire generation, to me moral values represent things like not stealing, being honest, showing compassion, etc. These are values which India clearly lacks. Instead we go overboard calling everything "indecent" and "against our culture". If every Indian stopped being worried about being "indecent", "obscene" and "against our culture" and learnt to laugh at good humor, while at the same time displaying the REAL moral values like honesty, kindness, compassion, helpfulness, etc our country would be a much better place.

I have a friend who in his personal life rumbles around laughing at the most obscene of jokes, but as a profession has dedicated himself as a fellow at TeachForIndia and takes great pride in teaching little kids who would otherwise go without education. This to me represents a person with moral values, not some random goons who beat up youth because they dress "indecently" and celebrate valentine's day.

Last edited by MHG : 26th March 2013 at 10:34.
MHG is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 11:08   #22
Senior - BHPian

Its getting picked up internationally as well now , this is from one of the larger websites when it comes to news

http://www.businessinsider.com/15-in...-distributed-1
Old 26th March 2013, 15:06   #23
BHPian

It might not be in good taste, but what about freedom of expression? I don't see the point in any form of censorship. People need to lighten up and stop taking themselves so damn seriously.
Anghammarad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 15:31   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
While I don't speak for the entire generation, to me moral values represent things like not stealing, being honest, showing compassion, etc. These are values which India clearly lacks. Instead we go overboard calling everything "indecent" and "against our culture". If every Indian stopped being worried about being "indecent", "obscene" and "against our culture" and learnt to laugh at good humor, while at the same time displaying the REAL moral values like honesty, kindness, compassion, helpfulness, etc our country would be a much better place.

I have a friend who in his personal life rumbles around laughing at the most obscene of jokes, but as a profession has dedicated himself as a fellow at TeachForIndia and takes great pride in teaching little kids who would otherwise go without education. This to me represents a person with moral values, not some random goons who beat up youth because they dress "indecently" and celebrate valentine's day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anghammarad View Post
It might not be in good taste, but what about freedom of expression? I don't see the point in any form of censorship. People need to lighten up and stop taking themselves so damn seriously.
I couldn't agree more with you. Freedom of speech says I can dress up as hitler if I want to. It may be in poor taste and may upset people, but it should not be the reason I cannot do something. Today we all get so caught up in being politically correct we forget to actually think normally and sensibly.
pganapathy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 15:39   #25
Senior - BHPian

I think the Berlusconi thing is humorous and intelligent for what its trying to say regarding the car. Its all facts, so a good car
Old 27th March 2013, 01:59   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
This is as ridiculous as some political party making a big issue out of a facebook post. Everyday thousands of such crazy ads are done by ad professionals in their free time for privatle consumption. Some of them do end up in closed forums where these creative minds hang out. They are never meant for release in publications. It's just like how some guys/gals crack 'adult jokes' while talking amongst friends.

It's deplorable that a reputed newspaper like Hindu jumped the gun and published it as a front page news item, and that too with the image.
Defnitley a case of falling newspaper standards. The article in Hindu says " The draft advertisement was presumably outsourced to JWT India, and meant for the Italian and American markets."
What they didn't know is that, Ford doesn't even sell Figo in either Italy or America.
The Figo is sold in Mexico though, and i think other parts of Latin America. I thought the ad was in bad taste; maybe if they werent bounded and gagged in the boot, that would have been alright. Its funny, sure, but it should have never got out onto the net. They should have actually done a version with Indian Politicians, i think EVERYONE would have gotten a kick out of that .

Last edited by CaliAtenza : 27th March 2013 at 02:05.
Old 27th March 2013, 06:35   #27
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:

I couldn't agree more with you. Freedom of speech says I can dress up as hitler if I want to. It may be in poor taste and may upset people, but it should not be the reason I cannot do something. Today we all get so caught up in being politically correct we forget to actually think normally and sensibly.
Try dressing up as Hitler in France of today and you can still get jugged as a Neo Nazi.
Trust me, I once went to a 'Goth' pub somewhere in the back streets of Paris and was shocked at what I saw there. The gendarmes who turned up a short while later on account of the noise, weren't terribly pleased either.
Old 27th March 2013, 11:19   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
The Figo is sold in Mexico though, and i think other parts of Latin America. I thought the ad was in bad taste
The Figo sold in Mexico is sold under the IKON brandname. The Figo manufactured in India is marketed as "FIGO", only in India, South Africa and some Asian markets.
The latin American or the Brazilian version is not a rebadged version of Figo. It's a different car manufactured there itself, on the same Fiesta platform and sold under the FIESTA brandname.
Old 27th March 2013, 12:40   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
The Figo sold in Mexico is sold under the IKON brandname. The Figo manufactured in India is marketed as "FIGO", only in India, South Africa and some Asian markets.
The latin American or the Brazilian version is not a rebadged version of Figo. It's a different car manufactured there itself, on the same Fiesta platform and sold under the FIESTA brandname.
oh thats right, you're right . I forgot lol. So then this ad was definetly meant for the Indian or South African market.
Old 27th March 2013, 14:27   #30
Senior - BHPian

JWT sacks creative head Bobby Pawar over controversial Ford ads

Quote:
Four days after a series of posters for Ford Figo caused international outrage, heads have rolled at its ad agency. Bobby Pawar, JWT India's chief creative officer & managing partner, as well as Vijay SimhaVellanki, creative director at Blue Hive, a WPP unit dedicated to managing the Ford business, have been asked to resign....
Full Article + Source

Most Viewed