Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2013, 12:46   #16
BHPian

re: Skoda unveils updated Superb and Superb Combi in Europe

The front follows their new VisionD / MissionL design language, and I think it's a moderate improvement. The back end, however, is MUCH better.
The one grouse I've always had against the Superb's back end is the bumper-mounted license plate. Something like that works on a hatchback, but doesn't work on a D-Segment car like the Superb - it makes the entire tailgate look bland and incomplete. This new update makes it look much, much better.
ghostrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 13:45   #17
BHPian

The facelift of the car I think has improved the looks quite a bit, especially from the rear. Although I am not a big fan of the Brown interiors, I really like the new design for the steering wheel. I also agree to what someone said above about the headlamps being smoked. I feel that smoked headlamps look much better in smaller hatchbacks/sedans and not on a luxury car like the Superb, especially with the design of the Superb's headlamps.
Old 4th April 2013, 14:51   #18
Team-BHP Support

Here's what i mean - its too difficult to differentiate, and these are supposed to be cars from 3 different brands!

Out of the below lot - I like Skoda's execution the best though.

Skoda unveils updated Superb and Superb Combi in Europe-skodasuperbfl53-1.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 4th April 2013 at 14:52.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 20:32   #19
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav667 View Post
Here are the first official pictures of the Skoda Superb facelift. Looks pretty good, I think.

Source: Carscoops

I just hope they launch the 1.8 TSI DSG variant with a different gearbox this time. With a brand makeover on it's way, it would be the perfect time for Skoda to sort out it's poor after-sales in the country. Expect a Q4 2013 India launch.
Ooh! The combi is delicious indeed!
I really wish they would resurrect the Octy Combis in India.
Beautiful practical and comfortable cars.
Old 4th April 2013, 21:14   #20
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda unveils updated Superb and Superb Combi in Europe

The facelift looks neat and added more character, the front with smoke effect headlights makes it look much better IMO, the rear end is too Audi A4 like to look though nothing bad in that sense. Most importantly i loved the interiors, very classy indeed looking at the pics.
Old 4th April 2013, 21:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hardly an original design. Has cuts and curves taken from the jetta , a4 and the a8. But somehow works and looks sportier compared to the old barge. Now , if only the car worked as good as it looks.
Old 5th April 2013, 08:42   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Now , if only the car worked as good as it looks.
That's a little below the belt. Except the DQ200 (7DSG) gearbox, the car works perfectly in all aspects. I have 10000kms and 1 year under the belt to prove that. Incidentally, VW is launching the DQ200 on the 1.2 TSI Polo this month in India. God help VW and the clueless prospective owners of that Polo model...
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 09:03   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Except the DQ200 (7DSG) gearbox, the car works perfectly in all aspects.
I agree, Skoda cars aren't inherently flawed its the brand's attitude towards repairing or replacing components that's the real problem. It's been repeated several times on the forum that the Superb offers the most bang for the buck in that segment.

If they really want to set the sales charts on fire with this refreshed model, they should offer it with a standard 5 year warranty. Hyundai offers an 8 year warranty in the U.S. and Canada and that's one of the most compelling reasons to buy into the brand (heck, that's what made people buy Hyundai's even before their fluid design language and new interiors when they were just another run of the mill "cheap" brand five years ago).
Old 5th April 2013, 09:36   #24
BHPian

The Superb is a good car but personally, I never liked the it's odd proportions. The cabin is too long and the C-pillar is set too far back, almost like a limo. The Combi on the other hand does not have these problems, it looks far better in my opinion. Too bad estates/station-wagons never took off in India, except the BMW X1 .
Old 5th April 2013, 10:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

@ dkaile - Consider yourself lucky and an exception and not a norm if your skoda suberb has been a cherishing experience. I know atleast 8 such instances mine included where people with their superbs both petrol and diesel have had a harrowing time with their cars. But lets not make this thread a good skoda bad skoda debate. Visually the new one looks better than the old IMO and lets leave it at that.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 12:54   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Here's what i mean - its too difficult to differentiate, and these are supposed to be cars from 3 different brands!

Out of the below lot - I like Skoda's execution the best though.

Attachment 1069086
THANK YOU for posting this. I'm not a fan of a uniform design language being so pervasive within a brand - look at the new 3 Series - it looks almost exactly like the 5 Series, just smaller.
VAG takes it to a whole new level. If I'm plonking down close to 40 lakhs on an A4, I want it to look nothing like a 18 lakh Jetta. They aren't even the same brand, for crying out loud. Why do they need to look so similar?

I was driving the other day and I saw the new Jetta TSi alongside. I could only see the front of the car upto the front wheels - which means I could see the grill, the headlights and the fenders up to the wheel arches (not the wheels or wheel arches themselves) and I had to look closely to check if it was a Jetta or a Vento.

You can argue that they do this to make a brand uniform (and partially to bring fabrication costs down) but it just smacks of design laziness to me.
ghostrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 13:12   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
THANK YOU for posting this. I'm not a fan of a uniform design language being so pervasive within a brand - look at the new 3 Series - it looks almost exactly like the 5 Series, just smaller.
VAG takes it to a whole new level. If I'm plonking down close to 40 lakhs on an A4, I want it to look nothing like a 18 lakh Jetta. They aren't even the same brand, for crying out loud. Why do they need to look so similar?
I am not surprised. This is something which manufacturers do when they have products with different market positioning. Toyota used to do this quite successfully with their Lexus and Toyota brands. For e.g; the outgoing generation of GS becomes the template for the upcoming generation of Camry. Now for VW, the A4 is in its last leg and some of the design cues get transferred into lower brands. Not sure if there are some cost savings with this approach, or it is probably to make the buyers feel that their car actually resembles something a segment above
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 14:04   #28
BHPian

Nice rear design. That was the only grouse with the present Superb. The brown interior definitely receives a thumbs down, reminds me of the i20. The Combi also looks real good. Hope the same is launched in India as well this time.
Old 6th April 2013, 08:25   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
I know atleast 8 such instances mine included where people with their superbs both petrol and diesel have had a harrowing time with their cars.
I am sorry my friend for your harrowing experience, but the exception in this case is your experience and not mine. A car that consistently sells 200 units per month for years in the premium D2 segment cannot be that flawed as you are making it out to be. There have been failures of the DQ200 and they have been well documented on TeamBhp but I know at least 5 Superb owners in Meerut alone who are all enjoying their current steeds without issues.

The upgraded cars post 2012 are mostly running with ZERO issues. The manual that I own is a gem of a unit and the 6-DSG on the diesel too is a consistent performer. Some past flaws like the air conditioning etc. have all been sorted out in the newer units and the AC now is a chiller and compares to my Fortuner. The past gremlins do haunt the Superb's reputation but in the end it's tremendous value proposition eventually appeals to the luxury car buyer and the consistent sales figures are testament to that.

Last edited by dkaile : 6th April 2013 at 08:29.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 11:25   #30
BHPian

Any idea when is it expected to be launched in India? And in what variants?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed