Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2013, 14:43   #31
BHPian

Re: Skoda unveils updated Superb and Superb Combi in Europe

looks refreshing, the rear is definitely better than the current gen one, the interiors look quite similar to the current gen and the placement of most buttons for windows and ovrms etc, besides the steering wheel.
Old 9th April 2013, 15:37   #32
BHPian

It looks more like a cosmetic upgrade than a full upgrade
Old 9th April 2013, 15:40   #33
Senior - BHPian

The rear looks like all modern boring audis and the front looks like a vw skoda is beginning to lose their charm :/
Old 9th April 2013, 17:41   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
The upgraded cars post 2012 are mostly running with ZERO issues. The manual that I own is a gem of a unit and the 6-DSG on the diesel too is a consistent performer. Some past flaws like the air conditioning etc. have all been sorted out in the newer units and the AC now is a chiller and compares to my Fortuner. The past gremlins do haunt the Superb's reputation but in the end it's tremendous value proposition eventually appeals to the luxury car buyer and the consistent sales figures are testament to that.
Its just Apr, 2013. Even if we consider entire last year, we are talking about 1.5 years (and probably 30K KMs). I would consider this is too short a time frame, given the large sum of money needed to buy one.

Am not judging sir, but if you hold the same opinion after say 80K Kms, then Skoda is worth it.

(You know, there are folks in our forum with more 1-1.5 lakh Kms with much simpler machines and happy!).
Old 9th April 2013, 18:48   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babu.sundaram View Post
Its just Apr, 2013. Even if we consider entire last year, we are talking about 1.5 years (and probably 30K KMs). I would consider this is too short a time frame, given the large sum of money needed to buy one.
Yes, you are right in your observation. But I have also seen Skoda's on the forum that have done 1 lac plus kms and still running strong. It was mainly the DQ200 gearbox with the Superb that was a major issue and most other vehicles were relatively trouble free. With 4 years extended warranty under the belt, I easily foresee the MT Superb doing lac+ kms without major issues, seeing it's current build quality.

Also to add perspective to the "large sum of money" issue, I paid just 2 lac extra than a Corolla from which I was upgrading, for my Superb at the time of my purchase (17 lacs ex-showroom after discounts), that made a tremendous value for money proposition.
Old 19th May 2013, 11:31   #36
Team-BHP Support

First drive report of the face-lifted Superb – from Autocar UK.
The updates have made the car look quite fresh IMO.

Skoda unveils updated Superb and Superb Combi in Europe-superb-facelift.jpg
Skoda unveils updated Superb and Superb Combi in Europe-superb-facelift2.jpg
Skoda unveils updated Superb and Superb Combi in Europe-superb-facelift3.jpg
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2013, 21:11   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
The updates have made the car look quite fresh IMO.
Somehow the car now feels less premium than before even with the claimed enhancements. The rear is the best part of this upgrade but the front and the steering along with the black interiors is a class down than before. It looks more business like rather than a premium offering that it was before. The fuel tank's capacity is also down to 55L from the 60L that it is presently.

Rest, I would like to reserve the comments till I touch and feel the car personally, though my first hand experience with the new Octavia in France recently was also inkling towards slight dumbing down the Skoda product range from the VW group.
Old 19th May 2013, 21:30   #38
Senior - BHPian

The front of the current Superb is a bit strange - same case of the Laura too. The new facelifted Superb carries the new Skoda design language and I like the front way more than the current car. The rear looks much better too.

For the interior trims, Europe likes black interiors, for other markets, I guess similar beige trim would be available as the current model
Old 19th May 2013, 21:43   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rest, I would like to reserve the comments till I touch and feel the car personally, though my first hand experience with the new Octavia in France recently was also inkling towards slight dumbing down the Skoda product range from the VW group.
The issue that VW has with Skoda platform sharing is that as Skoda sales rise, the cars don't pay for the R&D involved, development cost is arrived at assuming VW products' sales would help recover the costs of an additional model line from Skoda.

Unless Skoda is dumbed down VW will be in a spot, Audi and Skoda racing ahead with the mother brand in the woods. I am not sure how they will achieve this with the new Octavia, its better than the Jetta anyday, the vow factor atleast.
Old 20th May 2013, 08:44   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Somehow the car now feels less premium than before even with the claimed enhancements. The rear is the best part of this upgrade but the front and the steering along with the black interiors is a class down than before. It looks more business like rather than a premium offering that it was before. The fuel tank's capacity is also down to 55L from the 60L that it is presently.
I don’t think there is a deliberate effort to water down brand Skoda (compared to VW). I actually liked the strategy they are following on these brands. There is at least a couple of years’ space between the models playing in the same space (Passat v/s Superb, or Octavia v/s Jetta). For e.g.; the Jetta was launched in 2011, and it got a solid couple of years to catch on, before the arrival of the new Octavia. In Europe, Skoda have steadily moved up the ladder, and is no longer considered a brand to joke about.

Regarding the black interiors – Black is in vogue in Europe now, and personally I feel the interiors shown look much better than the beige and glossy faux wood combination in the current Superb/Laura in India. It actually does not look any less than an all-black Passat. The Indian version of the updated Superb / new Octavia may have beige interiors (probably the only option), considering our affinity for the lighter shade.

OT: When I did a TD of the Laura in January, I asked the sales person if I can get the Elegance trim with brushed aluminum inserts (from the Ambition variant) and he thought I am crazy. He asked “why sir, the wood is much better than the cheap silver colour”
Old 20th May 2013, 09:57   #41
BHPian

I definitely prefer the looks of the rear end more than the current Superb although the front looks a bit wonky. I would also like to see it in more colours to decide how it looks overall.

Quote:
Regarding the black interiors – Black is in vogue in Europe now, and personally I feel the interiors shown look much better than the beige and glossy faux wood combination in the current Superb/Laura in India. It actually does not look any less than an all-black Passat. The Indian version of the updated Superb / new Octavia may have beige interiors (probably the only option), considering our affinity for the lighter shade.
I would agree to what you said vb-san. The black interiors with piano black inserts look much better than the current beige. The test car does not seem to have leather, with black leather seats, it would be epic.

I also think that Indians are kind of obsessed with Beige so, when it comes to India, we might get the beige interiors although I think we should have the option of choosing like in Europe.

Quote:
OT: When I did a TD of the Laura in January, I asked the sales person if I can get the Elegance trim with brushed aluminum inserts (from the Ambition variant) and he thought I am crazy. He asked “why sir, the wood is much better than the cheap silver colour”
but I can relate to what vb-san said. Even in the lower segments, people tend to prefer beige. When buying our i10, they were offering seat covers as a freebie, and I asked if they were available in Black, and they looked at me as if I was mad or something.
nipcarlover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2013, 09:34   #42
Senior - BHPian

A nice video of the facelift -

- Notice the DRL's and Indicator lights in the 1st video. The DRL switches off of that side where the indicator comes on.
- Interiors are pretty much the same as the current model.
- Added support to slide front passenger seat from rear.
- The compartments in the boot are no longer covered. They have now become cubby holes, so you can't hide anything out of sight in the boot. New EU requirements, maybe.

Last edited by dkaile : 15th June 2013 at 09:38.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2013, 17:57   #43
Senior - BHPian

The Facelifted Skoda Superb (UK) brochure is attached

Skoda unveils updated Superb and Superb Combi in Europe-new-superb-facelift-2013.jpg

Skoda unveils updated Superb and Superb Combi in Europe-new-superb-facelift-2013-back.jpg

Brochure Link - https://www.dropbox.com/s/klysufou4f...ure_superb.pdf

Last edited by dkaile : 5th July 2013 at 17:59.
Old 8th July 2013, 13:24   #44
Senior - BHPian

Skoda begins testing the new Superb in India as per ACI - http://www.autocarindia.com/News/349...-in-india.aspx

First look looks a little bland.
Old 8th July 2013, 13:36   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda begins testing Superb facelift in India. Launch expected end 2013.

Quote:
The Superb facelift will come with exterior changes such as an all-new grille with the new Skoda logo, head and fog-lamps, re-profiled bumper, front fenders and bonnet. The updated car will also get bi-xenon headlights with integrated LED daytime running lights.
The rear styling also gets tweaked in the form of re-shaped tail-lamps which mimic the shape of high-end Audis and get new inserts with LED elements.
http://www.autocarindia.com/News/349...-in-india.aspx
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks