Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2013, 22:58   #1
Team-BHP Support

The New 2013 Toyota Vios

Toyota recently launched the third generation Vios in the 34th Bangkok International Motor Show. Unlike the recent efforts from Toyota, this one looks quite fresh, modern and elegant.

I think this is one model which they can try launching in India, especially since its regional competitor Honda City will get an upgrade only in 2014.

The New 2013 Toyota Vios-vios1.jpg

The New 2013 Toyota Vios-vios2.jpg

The New 2013 Toyota Vios-vios3.jpg

The New 2013 Toyota Vios-vios4.jpg

The New 2013 Toyota Vios-vios5.jpg

The New 2013 Toyota Vios-vios6.jpg

The New 2013 Toyota Vios-vios8.jpg

The New 2013 Toyota Vios-vios9.jpg

The New 2013 Toyota Vios-vios10.jpg

Pictures courtesy: TopGear
vb-saan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 23:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Toyota recently launched the third generation Vios in the 34th Bangkok International Motor Show. Unlike the recent efforts from Toyota, this one looks quite fresh, modern and elegant.

I think this is one model which they can try launching in India, especially since its regional competitor Honda City will get an upgrade only in 2014.
None of the Toyota offerings in India have that quality interiors

Can somebody tell why Thailand or Indonesian markets considered more seriously by these manufactures as compared to our Indian market?

Is it something to do with higher number of sales or taxation policies ? We are talking about a basic sedan here and not a high end luxury car that we can't afford

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th April 2013 at 07:31. Reason: Removed video link
rajshenoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 08:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: The New 2013 Toyota Vios

From the very first pic. it looks like a Rich man's Etios. Any info on what's under the hood?
Warwithwheels is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 08:57   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
+1 to that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
From the very first pic. it looks like a Rich man's Etios. Any info on what's under the hood?
with the meters in the right place

I think it will have the same 1.5L engine.
Old 13th April 2013, 09:22   #5
BHPian

The front looks like a glorified etios and the rear has an uncanny resemblance to the nissan teana .

And what have they done to the interiors, they make me wonder..is this really an all new offering ??
Old 13th April 2013, 09:26   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
I believe the Vios have only one engine option - the 1.5 Petrol with 109 bhp, and is only manufactured in Thailand (and exported to other Asian markets).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Can somebody tell why Thailand or Indonesian markets considered more seriously by these manufactures as compared to our Indian market?
Is it something to do with higher number of sales or taxation policies ? We are talking about a basic sedan here and not a high end luxury car that we can't afford
Thailand is a traditional market for Toyota, and is also their Asian manufacturing hub. So is the case for Honda.

And Toyota is all about profits. Maybe the VFM definition of Indian markets does get aligned to the profits they are looking for. Remember, in the recent past one of their top official made a remark that India is not ready for quality cars like the Yaris. And that’s their entry level hatchback in Asia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradyblr View Post
with the meters in the right place
Yes, the previous generation Vios had the dials in the middle, but they have made the correction with this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
The front looks like a glorified etios and the rear has an uncanny resemblance to the nissan teana .
And what have they done to the interiors, they make me wonder..is this really an all new offering ??
IMO, its pretty good for an entry level sedan, and looks way better than the outgoing 2nd gen Vios.

On a side note, I will not be surprised if Toyota make use of the previous gen Vios’ template for next gen Etios.

Last edited by vb-saan : 13th April 2013 at 09:33. Reason: Quote added
Old 13th April 2013, 10:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I believe the Vios have only one engine option - the 1.5 Petrol with 109 bhp, and is only manufactured in Thailand (and exported to other Asian markets).

Thailand is a traditional market for Toyota, and is also their Asian manufacturing hub. So is the case for Honda.

And Toyota is all about profits. Maybe the VFM definition of Indian markets does get aligned to the profits they are looking for. Remember, in the recent past one of their top official made a remark that India is not ready for quality cars like the Yaris. And that's their entry level hatchback in Asia!

Yes, the previous generation Vios had the dials in the middle, but they have made the correction with this one

IMO, its pretty good for an entry level sedan, and looks way better than the outgoing 2nd gen Vios.

On a side note, I will not be surprised if Toyota make use of the previous gen Vios' template for next gen Etios.
Who says India is not ready? May be Toyota is not ready for India. Launch this as next etios at same price range and expect 10k sales per month. And an ertiga rival avanza too.

Toyota offerings in India are way too overpriced for what they offer(apart from that Toyota reliability) leading to that feeling that they only target taxi segment
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 10:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

The 2nd rate treatment for Indian markets by some car companies including Toyota is uncalled for. This is the car that they should have launched instead of the Etios in India. Why they can't manufacture it at our price point, which is the logic that they give, is beyond my comprehension.
dkaile is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 15:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

Looks quiet confusing design wise. Front looks 'typical' Toyota and is much like 'face lifted' Etios while side profile reminds me of Vento or rather VW design.

If this car competes with Honda City in rest of the world then its unfair to expect Toyota to launch this at Etios price point!

In Thailand Altis 1.8G (CVT) will cost you 899,000 Baht which is roughly INR 16,88,043/- while its roughly INR 2.25L (13%) cheaper in India. Looking at the INR value so I feel if at all Toyota decided to launch Vios in India it will be slightly costlier then Honda City.
Old 13th April 2013, 17:01   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And Toyota is all about profits. Maybe the VFM definition of Indian markets does get aligned to the profits they are looking for.
Exactly! And Why shouldn't they be? There are here in India to do business after all. They felt that a car at the Etios price point would bring them higher volumes rather than the Vios, and they were right. The Auto industry is all about volumes, isn't it?

Maybe now that the Verna is selling so well, Toyota can look at bringing this car here at some point.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 18:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

And Toyota is all about profits. Maybe the VFM definition of Indian markets does get aligned to the profits they are looking for. Remember, in the recent past one of their top official made a remark that India is not ready for quality cars like the Yaris. And that’s their entry level hatchback in Asia!

On a side note, I will not be surprised if Toyota make use of the previous gen Vios’ template for next gen Etios.
You are dead on mate ! They will use the previous gen vios platform to make the next gen Etios as they really treat India as a third grade market.
What i find hard to understand is that the Toyota India management has not notice the success of Hyundai Verna and Honda City in India (both are the latest models of their respective companies).
Whats worse is that they have not noticed the success of the Swift (a new gen car) and used that as a good enough reason to bring in the Yaris.
nik_kapur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 19:51   #12
BHPian

Toyota should realise there is space for the vios in addition to the 1980's etios that they produce here. The etios lacks so much that every potential customer who thinks of backing away can think of the vios for a lac rupee more.

Maruti has played that game very well and toyota can do the same.
Ford5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 20:01   #13
BHPian

As far as I know vios is a yaris sedan sold in south east Asian markets.

Only thing I don't like about Toyota Kirloskar Motors is the way they insult us Indians by not giving the state of the art products they offer in other markets.

Take for example, in Indonesia they have Avanza which is number 1 (Ertiga is no.2).

In Malaysia they have Toyota Rush but we don't.

In Thailand they have Vios, perhaps India may never get.

Toyota is like a sleeping giant. They can top every segment in India but they won't come out of their slumber.

I think only thing which can change Toyota's attitude towards us is stiff competition from other manufacturers and Honda amaze is definitely going to heat up competition.
mroptimist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 20:49   #14
Senior - BHPian

This is everything that the Etios should have been. Perhaps the Vios could replace the Etios in the near future?
MaserQ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 00:40   #15
BHPian

Toyota along with Apple and Samsung has the largest margins for their product. In fact Toyota has the highest margin in the manufacturing world. IMO the VFM environment of our market along with high central and excise taxes makes it un-viable for them to operate or maintain such high margins in India.

I think rather than focusing on volumes in India they are more focused on profitability margin and happy to maintain the same.
MaNishi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks