Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2013, 20:10   #1
Team-BHP Support

Volvo C30 Electric – Fully charged in 1.5 hours!

Volvo in collaboration with Siemens has come up with a world first solution which cuts the charge time of the C30 Electric to just 1.5 hours. I see this as an important development in the electric car scene, by addressing one of the key negative of electric cars – longer downtime for charging.

Details below:
Quote:
The new 22 kW fast-charger fitted to the C30 Electric is the world’s first on-board charger that operates on a three-phase supply and is small enough to be fitted in an electric car. Using a three-phase outlet, a charge takes 1.5 hours (total range 164 km according to NEDC certification driving cycle). However, an ordinary single-phase 230 V household outlet will take up to 10 hours, depending on the available current.

“We’re proud to have developed this unique solution. By offering more usable hours a day, we’ve taken an important step towards making electric cars more viable as a commercial proposition, in both the private and public sectors,” says Lennart Stegland, Vice President Electric Propulsion Systems, Volvo Car Group.

Using a new Siemens motor with a peak power output of 120 hp and a torque of 250 Nm, the C30 Electric is able to accelerate from zero to 70kph in 5.9 seconds.

“Adding the innovative fast charging solution will radically improve the time and mileage for the daily usage of the car. This will drastically improve the cost of ownership since the customer will now be able to drive many low cost kilometres per day. Even a quick 10-minute plug-in adds power for another 20 kilometres of driving,” added Lennart Stegland.
Volvo C30 Electric – Fully charged in 1.5 hours!-volvo-30-electric-1.jpg
Volvo C30 Electric – Fully charged in 1.5 hours!-volvo-30-electric-2.jpg
Volvo C30 Electric – Fully charged in 1.5 hours!-volvo-30-electric-3.jpg
Volvo C30 Electric – Fully charged in 1.5 hours!-volvo-30-electric-4.jpg
Volvo C30 Electric – Fully charged in 1.5 hours!-volvo-30-electric-5.jpg

Information and pictures from:
1) Oneshift Singapore
2) Topgear Singapore

Last edited by vb-saan : 26th April 2013 at 20:11. Reason: Realigned
vb-saan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 20:52   #2
BHPian

Re: Volvo C30 Electric – Fully charged in 1.5 hours!

In future, if at all EV marker picks up to fleet customers, this is a blessing. Although slow charging will still be used widely due to infrastructural reasons(cause 3 phase outlet may not be available everywhere), fast charging some what alleviates range anxiety. Fast charging especially helps fleet/ taxi customers where they can charge more in a given amount of time,say 10min as compared to conventional charging.

Although I remain skeptical about the battery life due to this rapid charging. Did they mention how often the battery needs to be changed? Because that would cost a bomb!!

Thanks for posting!

Last edited by Eminenttismo : 26th April 2013 at 20:54.
Eminenttismo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2013, 10:35   #3
BHPian

Is this 3 phase the same as common domestic 3 phase? But 400volts? Am confused because normal 3 phase and single phase both are 230 volts, right?

Or am I missing something here?
revintup is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2013, 16:34   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminenttismo View Post
In future, if at all EV marker picks up to fleet customers, this is a blessing. Although slow charging will still be used widely due to infrastructural reasons(cause 3 phase outlet may not be available everywhere), fast charging some what alleviates range anxiety. Fast charging especially helps fleet/ taxi customers where they can charge more in a given amount of time,say 10min as compared to conventional charging.
Very true! These innovations are quite exciting indeed. I believe as the technology evolves, very soon they may come up with a solution to have it quick-charged in a regular house-hold garage – across the globe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminenttismo
Although I remain skeptical about the battery life due to this rapid charging. Did they mention how often the battery needs to be changed? Because that would cost a bomb!!
I remember reading in a local newspaper that the pack lasts for 3000 recharges. For someone who commutes around 100 kms a day, this translates to around 8-9 years of usage. Need to search around a bit for some more details around this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
Is this 3 phase the same as common domestic 3 phase? But 400volts? Am confused because normal 3 phase and single phase both are 230 volts, right?
I believe 400 volts 3-phase is quite common in European household wiring setup. The campaign video in the link below says that its rechargeable from ordinary home outlet.
http://www.volvocars.com/intl/campai...s/default.aspx
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2013, 20:02   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post

Yes, it is the same common domestic 3 phase supply.

Domestic supply voltages in India is
single phase = 230 volts
three phase = 400 volts

Last edited by fordday : 27th April 2013 at 20:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks