Team-BHP - BMW Pininfarina Gran Lusso Coupe Concept. 8 Series reborn?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   BMW Pininfarina Gran Lusso Coupe Concept. 8 Series reborn? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/136845-bmw-pininfarina-gran-lusso-coupe-concept-8-series-reborn.html)

BMW has joined forces with Pininfarina for the Gran Lusso Coupe & had released a teaser sometime back of the Gran Lusso coupe which looked like this;

BMW Pininfarina Gran Lusso Coupe Concept. 8 Series reborn?-916566941889695604.jpg

And now at the Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este they have revealed the Gran Lusso.

It has been designed to be the ultimate luxury coupe.

BMW Pininfarina Gran Lusso Coupe Concept. 8 Series reborn?-18259922801135217140.jpg

BMW Pininfarina Gran Lusso Coupe Concept. 8 Series reborn?-367767174339021085.jpg

BMW Pininfarina Gran Lusso Coupe Concept. 8 Series reborn?-8283585012101833253.jpg

BMW Pininfarina Gran Lusso Coupe Concept. 8 Series reborn?-126529838139015881.jpg

Power is provided by an undisclosed V12 engine. Specifications were not released, but it's likely the 6.0-liter unit that develops 544 HP (400 kW) and 750 Nm (553 lb-ft) of torque.

Is this an attempt by BMW to revive the 8 series ?

Source;

1) http://www.autocarindia.com/Gallery/...evealed,1.aspx

2) http://www.worldcarfans.com/11305155...concept-teased

Personally the styling doesn't have the substance or heft of a true German motor like BMW. Just my opinion that BMW are far far ahead of Italians in anything automobile related, specially in build quality and design. This combination just ruins it for me, just flat and gimmicky.

I did like a few of the Bangle design concepts (specially the GINA), and off late their smaller vehicles are well styled specially the F30 3, which you have.

Some real life photos from the Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este 2013;

BMW Pininfarina Gran Lusso Coupe Concept. 8 Series reborn?-bmwpininfarinagranlussocoupeconcorsodeleganzavilladeste2013_thecaraddict-5.jpg

BMW Pininfarina Gran Lusso Coupe Concept. 8 Series reborn?-bmwpininfarinagranlussocoupeconcorsodeleganzavilladeste2013_thecaraddict-4.jpg

BMW Pininfarina Gran Lusso Coupe Concept. 8 Series reborn?-bmwpininfarinagranlussocoupeconcorsodeleganzavilladeste2013_thecaraddict-6.jpg

BMW Pininfarina Gran Lusso Coupe Concept. 8 Series reborn?-bmwpininfarinagranlussocoupeconcorsodeleganzavilladeste2013_thecaraddict-7.jpg

BMW Pininfarina Gran Lusso Coupe Concept. 8 Series reborn?-bmwpininfarinagranlussocoupeconcorsodeleganzavilladeste2013_thecaraddict-11.jpg

BMW Pininfarina Gran Lusso Coupe Concept. 8 Series reborn?-bmwpininfarinagranlussocoupeconcorsodeleganzavilladeste2013_thecaraddict-12.jpg

BMW Pininfarina Gran Lusso Coupe Concept. 8 Series reborn?-bmwpininfarinagranlussocoupeconcorsodeleganzavilladeste2013_thecaraddict-9.jpg

Source: http://www.the-car-addict.com/2013/0...lla-dEste.html

Personally, I do not like this design too much. I think Pininfarina could have done better. I too like almost all of the Bangle designs and think they were better than this Pininfarina. Seems like Pininfarina have tried to go too much over-the-top with this one!

I like the exterior sleekness however the interior lack any innovation whatsoever. All they have done to the inside is lifted it of the 7 series and thrown in some extra wood.
I hope this model goes into production, solely because v12's are a dying breed !

Looks really sleek. More of an Aston Martin on the sides though. It is really unusual to see BMW coming up with such sleek designs.

The design language of these German marques are slowly but surely getting saturated these days. It does look all frown-up, matured and sophisticated but it does look a little boring. And those 6 Series interiors don't hold a candle to the theme running around the exterior.

Looks more or less like the next "Bond" vehicle! Although i did not like the excessive wooden trim inside and also the mix of that "sandal-wood" shade in upholstery and dash. The exterior looks all metallic and interior looks all wood. That doesn't go well together, does it ?

This BMW looks more Italian to me than ever. The interiors look like from the inside of a Bedouin tent (no offence meant to anyone).

Is it me or the rear looks heavily inspired from the Jag?
I personally liked the front end and the falling curve, though would prefer a different body color!

If you notice the front the "Kidneys" are more angled towards the road;

BMW Pininfarina Gran Lusso Coupe Concept. 8 Series reborn?-bmwpininfarinagranlussocoupeconcorsodeleganzavilladeste2013_thecaraddict-4.jpg

^ making the nose much more "shark like"

Also i dont know how many of you noticed but the front lights make make the car look "sleepy" or "stoned" lol:

Check out;

BMW Pininfarina Gran Lusso Coupe Concept. 8 Series reborn?-p90123658_highres.jpg

BMW says the interior is a "contemporary take on classical values" :thumbs up

BMW Pininfarina Gran Lusso Coupe Concept. 8 Series reborn?-p90123666_highres.jpg

Absolutely stunning from the outside. Interiors are very similar to what is currently offered on their cars but with wood vomiting all over the place, which isn't to say it's bad! but simply doesn't seem to compliment the exterior.
I'm not sure if BMWs traditional customer base would appreciate if such a sharp design went into production, Audis on the other hand...

Agree the interiors are no innovation but they are true bavarians with no non sense look and elegance taken to a different level altogether.
The exterior is disappointing looks like a mod job to me (I believe many would agree). Look at the wheels screaming attention, who in his sanity will put such alloys to a premium coupe like this!?!
Rear end appears to be a desi (DC) job and front grill again a desperate attempt.

I like the exterior design. It's just the type of cool you would expect for an ultimate luxury coupe. However, the interiors are just not up to the mark. Take for example the steering wheel. A more meatier one with a bigger horn pad and some design contours would look more upmarket. Even the alloys could be designed a bit better - a five spoke one would gel nicely!

Not sure if downplaying the double kidney grille a wee little bit (height wise and also the vertical slats being anything other than chrome, say black chrome, or gun metal) would have been a little more appropriate.