Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2013, 12:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes C-Class to get 1.6L Renault Diesel? EDIT: Yes!

Link to News Section

German automaker Daimler is in deep partnership with the Renault-Nissan Franco-Japanese car making alliance. From contract manufacturing the Citan vans for Mercedes Benz to platform sharing, the Renault-Nissan alliance is steadily making a bigger impact in the Daimler group. While Nissan is taking Mercedes Benz's help for a new Infiniti small car based on the MFA architecture, Renault is in an engine supply pact with Mercedes Benz.

Attachment 1098346

The 1.5 liter Renault K9K turbo diesel engine (A tried and tested, workhorse of a diesel motor available in a wide range of tunes) now powers an entry level diesel variant of the A-Class sports hatchback. Notably, Mercedes Benz could use the new inline-6 cylinder petrol engines developed by Renault-Nissan on future C-Class and E-Class models.

In fact, these inline-6 potters are expected to replace the current range of V6 petrol engines that Mercedes Benz uses on its cars. While the new engines are a few years away, BlogAutomobile.Fr reports that the next Renault turbo diesel engine to make a mark on a Mercedes Benz car is the 1.6 Liter DCi turbo diesel motor.

This engine is seen on cars such as the facelifted Renault Fluence sedan and the Nissan Qashqai. The 1.6 liter turbo diesel engine will output 130 PS-320 Nm and is said to be eyeing the 2015 C-Class sedan's engine bay. The engine will serve on the entry level variant of the next generation 2015 C-Class, a car that is said to have shed over 100 kilograms of weight when compared to the current version.

Notably, the 1.6 liter Renault DCi turbo diesel engine will feature a longitudinal (north-south) mounting, meaning that the C-Class will retain its rear wheel drive architecture. On the A-Class hatchback though, the 1.5 Liter Renault K9K diesel engine is mounted transversely (east-west engine mounting), in keeping with the MFA platform based cars' front wheel drive layout.

From the looks of it, Mercedes Benz is yet to jump on the 3 cylinder-turbo diesel engine bandwagon while BMW is betting big on its homegrown 3 pot turbo diesel motor for its entry level, 1-Series luxury range. Renault will continue to supply small capacity engines for Mercedes Benz cars, as a part of the Daimler-Renault-Nissan alliance.

Why is Mercedes Benz using the 1.6 Liter DCi turbo diesel engine on the C-Class?

The smaller 1.6 liter diesel motor is mainly intended to cope with tighter emission norms in Europe. In India though, the 2.2 Liter turbo diesel engine, found on the likes of the A-Class, and entry level models of the C-Class and the E-Class, could continue doing duty.

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 17th June 2013 at 13:11. Reason: News Link Added
JayPrashanth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 13:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Mercedes C-Class to get 1.6L Renault Diesel? EDIT: Yes!

Mercedes C-Class to get 1.6L Renault Diesel? EDIT: Yes!-renault-1.6-dci-diesel.jpg

Adding the image of the 1.6 Liter Renault DCi turbo diesel engine.
JayPrashanth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 18:08   #3
BHPian

Mercedes C class with Renault 1.6 engine!

Dear Team-bhp ians.

You might have known this news earlier, i have read somewhere few months back Mercedes will use renault-nissan engines but didn't pay much attention this that until i saw this road test by Autocar UK.
Mercedes has launched new C class with the famous 1.6dci engine!
They have altered the engine characteristic by using their own software but still cant digest a 114bhp 1.6 Renault diesel on C class
and one question came to mind
why someone need a 114bhp C class or why Mercedes wanted to produce models like this? Is it due to market demand? May be i am thinking wrong, we think Mercedes should have big engines and better power.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...bluetec-review
autobalan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 20:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mercedes C class with Renault 1.6 engine!

The renault 1.6 dci is an extremely tractable motor. It is not always about peak power and peak torque especially with a turbo diesel engine. What is important is that it is easy to drive not what its top speed is. The C class isn't a very fun car to pilot so if I were ever someone to plonk my money on it, it would be just for the badge and I really wouldn't mind if it wasn't that powerful cause I'm too busy worrying about the dry-cleaners or how my business meeting is about to go not bothered about the ricer sitting next to me in his souped up Polo GT at the traffic light just waiting to leave me and everyone else in the dust
Old 4th December 2014, 02:56   #5
BHPian

Re: Mercedes C class with Renault 1.6 engine!

Mercedes Benz has been using Renault engines in B class and A class cars for some time. I initially planned to buy a B 180 CDI, and even booked one before I came across this info. Once I came to know about this, I was really annoyed with the thought that I will pay for a Mercedes car and will have a Renault engine - similar to that comes with Dacia cars like Duster. I quickly cancelled that booking and bought a C 200 CDI. However, it seems those Renault engines are good. An acquaintance who is a mechanic in a Mercedes garage mentioned to me that he finds them flawless.
joju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2014, 16:40   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mercedes C-Class to get 1.6L Renault Diesel? EDIT: Yes!

Mercedes uses 1.6L Renault engines with less power than a Hyundai Verna

BMW launches the Mini in India....only diesel....only 3-cylinder

The new C-Class is introduced at 50 lakhs on-the-road.

Audi gets the Vento-sized A3 at 40 lakhs.

BMW brings the X1 with poorer interior quality than a Hyundai Elantra!

What is the world coming to? Does anyone think the Germans are pushing their luck?
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th December 2014, 17:02   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Mercedes uses 1.6L Renault engines with less power than a Hyundai Verna

BMW launches the Mini in India....only diesel....only 3-cylinder

The new C-Class is introduced at 50 lakhs on-the-road.

Audi gets the Vento-sized A3 at 40 lakhs.

BMW brings the X1 with poorer interior quality than a Hyundai Elantra!

What is the world coming to? Does anyone think the Germans are pushing their luck?
Just wait for a few months and Mercedes will launch their CLA at 30 lakhs

BMW will launch the facelifted X1 closer to 40 lakhs, and so will Audi their Q3.

not just the big 3, but VW will also join the party by launching their Passat at 30 lakhs (though that may still look like a VFM product)

I think, the affordable luxury cars are soon going to become unaffordable again.

Or is it that these cars are going to be on steep discounts once they are past the first year of their launch. only time can tell.
Old 4th December 2014, 17:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

I just read a news report that diesels were being phased out in France, probably by extension the rest of the EU. This could be the worst kind of brand overkill it it weren't for Volvo selling an S80 with with a 1.6. VW has some aweful engine options on their cars, its mostly meant as bait for luring shoppers into the showroom and then upselling. The CO2 based tax collection makes these vehicles worth it for fleet purchases, the brand cachet is undeniable, also they come with a no cost(?) option for debadging, hence not advertising that you bought the cheapest Benz in the range.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks