Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2006, 22:42   #1
BHPian

The most fuel effecient car -- why not in India yet?

I was going through my gmail when I came across a site http://www.epa.gov/autoemissions/all-rank-06.htm which lists the fuel effeiency of cars. Surprising to note a Toyota is the most fuel effecient ar and not a Honda as we widely percieved by many.

The Toyota Prius runs on gasoline and it gives a stunning 28 kmpl in city conditions

My question is, if Toyota can produce a full size sedan with a mileage of 28 kmpl, why cant it produce a Getz like compact car with 35 kmpl ???
If there is a Toyota Getz with 35 kmpl, wouldnt we be willing to pay 6-7 lac for it??? Wont we pay 10 Lac for a Prius, if it is launched in India?

Are they not willing to do R&D or is there a lack of initiative on their part?

BTW, the Prius in 10 Lac if you convert it into rupees. This in the site :
http://www.toyota.com/prius/specs.html

The question is why a car like Swift or Getz gives just 12-13 kmpl when with modern technology, I'm sure it should give atleast 20 kmpl.

The Prius weighs 1300 kg and is 158 inches long.

Guys, this is simply ridiculous that better mileage cars are not available in India. Any inputs?
Old 31st May 2006, 22:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, the Prius in 10 Lac if you convert it into rupees.
You forgot to include the Indian taxes, customs and duty prices. Including those, the price should come to about 20 lakhs.
Old 31st May 2006, 22:53   #3
BHPian

I'm talking about the possibility if it were Made in India. It would then cost 10 Lacs right?

Last edited by Rayden : 31st May 2006 at 22:54.
Old 31st May 2006, 22:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

@ 10lac one will expect a Skoda size car. And it wil be costlier to make one for that price in India.

and of course we do have the M800
Old 31st May 2006, 23:02   #5
BHPian

I dont think it be costlier than the corolla or octavia.
Old 2nd June 2006, 13:49   #6
BHPian

Incidentally, there are a couple more cars from Honda which give a mileage of 25 kmpl ......
Old 2nd June 2006, 14:08   #7
BHPian

Isn't the Prius a hybrid car?
Old 2nd June 2006, 16:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

Yes it's a hybrid and that is the reason for its reduced fuel consumption. However, another thing that I don't think you know is that the figures that you are looking at are from the Enviromental Protection Agency(EPA) and these figures are what manufacturers like to call "figures under standard test conditions"

Which basically means that no matter how hard you try you would not be able to get anywhere close to these figures in real world driving. In the real world tests the Prius has achieved around 35-38 mpg.

The car is also pretty complex due to the advance electrics involved and due to the dusty conditions in India it would lead to higher failure rates among other things like incompetent/unqualified workshop staff. Also the Prius has basically a battery pack which runs the car on low speed without starting the gasoline engine (major reason for fuel saving) and once that battery pack has lived out its life it is horrendously expensive to replace.

Plus secondly the Indian market is concerned only with the fuel efficiency of a product not the Enviromental impact and the Prius was launched as a product which benefits the enviroment due to zero/low emissions compared to other cars in the more educated and informed US & other developed markets. Also remember that Toyota still loses money on every Prius it sells, since it's a new technology and is very expensive to meanufacture, so it's more of a publicity stunt to position themselves as producers of eco-friendly vehicles than anything else.

Last edited by iraghava : 2nd June 2006 at 16:40.
Old 2nd June 2006, 21:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

well the top gear team did a research and they found and its put on record that a GOLD diesel gave them 75 miles to the galon while the prius gave them 45, even thought 65 is what the co. claims it.

and its very expensive coz its got 2 engines. . . .
and people would rather buy a diesel octi rathan than the prius which doesnt look like anything.
Old 2nd June 2006, 21:53   #10
BHPian

Why cant we have the same question this way

Why not india having world class roads ? Whom to blame ? These poor policticians who are becoming rich day & night ?

Many companies launching cars here totally revise the cars only bcoz of roads of India. So how can we have a most fuel eff car with such roads ?
Old 2nd June 2006, 22:02   #11
BHPian

The only reason we don't have world class roads is that goverment chooses TAR coated roads to Cement Based roads..as the cost of Cement road is higher to build...and it lasts longer...So where will they earn the extra money by giving out contracts to rebuild roads every year or two..!
Old 3rd June 2006, 03:20   #12
BANNED

Something much more cooler than a bone stock Prius is the Prius that is converted to a Plug in Hybrid. (or a PHEV). They claim to have proven a mileage of more than 100 miles per gallon.
Check this out. http://www.calcars.org/priusplus.html
-Prasadee
Old 3rd June 2006, 09:28   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayden
I was going through my gmail when I came across a site http://www.epa.gov/autoemissions/all-rank-06.htm which lists the fuel effeiency of cars. Surprising to note a Toyota is the most fuel effecient ar and not a Honda as we widely percieved by many.

The Toyota Prius runs on gasoline and it gives a stunning 28 kmpl in city conditions

My question is, if Toyota can produce a full size sedan with a mileage of 28 kmpl, why cant it produce a Getz like compact car with 35 kmpl ???
If there is a Toyota Getz with 35 kmpl, wouldnt we be willing to pay 6-7 lac for it??? Wont we pay 10 Lac for a Prius, if it is launched in India?

Are they not willing to do R&D or is there a lack of initiative on their part?

BTW, the Prius in 10 Lac if you convert it into rupees. This in the site :
http://www.toyota.com/prius/specs.html

The question is why a car like Swift or Getz gives just 12-13 kmpl when with modern technology, I'm sure it should give atleast 20 kmpl.

The Prius weighs 1300 kg and is 158 inches long.

Guys, this is simply ridiculous that better mileage cars are not available in India. Any inputs?

Rayden,

Follow this http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...d=1#post237718

Similar trains of thot there

Most Viewed