Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2013, 12:31   #31
Team-BHP Support

re: Skoda Kamiq SUV - Rival to Duster, EcoSport is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Knowing the indian market, the most logical upgrade will be something 'bigger'. This is what 90% people still think, and this sentiment drives the auto companies while launching products here. The lacklusture sales of Yeti being a case in point, it must have driven the finall nail in the coffin wrt compact SUV's at a 15L price point. Else it is a perfect upgrade from Duster if you think about it.
I see this segment of small crossovers equivalent to the likes of Vento/City/Verna in the sedan space. Similar to how Skoda/VW has spaced Rapid/Vento with Laura/Jetta, they should be able to accommodate a Polar below the Yeti.

And IMO its too early to speculate on the prices. Between now and the actual launch of the Polar/Taigun, a lot could change in the crossover space.
Old 15th July 2013, 14:19   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I see this segment of small crossovers equivalent to the likes of Vento/City/Verna in the sedan space. Similar to how Skoda/VW has spaced Rapid/Vento with Laura/Jetta, they should be able to accommodate a Polar below the Yeti.

And IMO its too early to speculate on the prices. Between now and the actual launch of the Polar/Taigun, a lot could change in the crossover space.
What you have mentioned with regards to product positioning is true. However, you will also agree that no one upgardes from City/Verna to Rapid/Vento. They might do so and opt for Laura/Jetta instead. Applying the same yardstick to SUV segment, since the Yeti is already occupying that slot, why hasn't it been a success?

And that's that reason I have my doubts if any other compact SUV will manage sales around the 15L price point. People most probably won't be willing to plonk that kind of a money in this segment unless they can see a real value gain in terms of looks,features and build quality.
Old 15th July 2013, 14:30   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And that's that reason I have my doubts if any other compact SUV will manage sales around the 15L price point. People most probably won't be willing to plonk that kind of a money in this segment unless they can see a real value gain in terms of looks,features and build quality.
Thats exactly what my point was. People will NOT upgrade to a 5 seater C-segment SUV till they see quality/build and value. Today nothing exists in the market. Many may even perhaps question the "value" of a 16-17L OTR 5 seater compact (>4m) SUV. That may be one of the reason why this segment may/may not flourish. Need to keep watch.

Also people may not jump from a 10-13L segment to a 40L segment either (read X1/Q3). I think Yeti did not succeed due the Skoda paranoia and and and very high initial pricing. Had that been low to start with; it might have done wonders. Also I think the rear bench of a Yeti may not be that spacious. Another reason for it not selling. But no doubt its an extremely capable car.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2013, 15:02   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Applying the same yardstick to SUV segment, since the Yeti is already occupying that slot, why hasn't it been a success?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think Yeti did not succeed due the Skoda paranoia and and and very high initial pricing. Had that been low to start with; it might have done wonders. Also I think the rear bench of a Yeti may not be that spacious. Another reason for it not selling. But no doubt its an extremely capable car.
Yeti is not appealing to everyone majorly because of the way it looks, its a love it or hate it design.

Also have to remember around and after launch of Yeti, the XUV 500 was launched too and at atleast 15-20% less cost with two more seats and a proper SUV appeal, How could the poor Yeti sell anyway
Old 15th July 2013, 15:04   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What you have mentioned with regards to product positioning is true. However, you will also agree that no one upgrades from City/Verna to Rapid/Vento. They might do so and opt for Laura/Jetta instead. Applying the same yardstick to SUV segment, since the Yeti is already occupying that slot, why hasn't it been a success?
The Yeti came at a time when crossover space was so underdeveloped in India. To add on, the quirky looks were not upto everyone’s taste, and it suffered a lot in the size-for-money equation. If you remember, due to its pricing the comparison then was with the Fortuner, which was more closer to the traditional SUV definition. IMO, if the Yeti came in today, it would have gained better ground, because now the public have got an eye to appreciate small Crossovers (through the Duster and now the Ecosport).

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu
Quote:
Thats exactly what my point was. People will NOT upgrade to a 5 seater C-segment SUV till they see quality/build and value. Today nothing exists in the market. Many may even perhaps question the "value" of a 16-17L OTR 5 seater compact (>4m) SUV. That may be one of the reason why this segment may/may not flourish. Need to keep watch.
I doubt if these cars will really hit the 15 lakhs price point which is being discussed around. The Polar is supposed to be based on VAG’s new small family car platform which churns out entry level cars like the Up! and Citigo, and realistically it should not really cost more than the Ecosport. It should have the sub-4m advantage too.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2013, 15:14   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Yeti is not appealing to everyone majorly because of the way it looks, its a love it or hate it design.
Agreed.

Quote:
Also have to remember around and after launch of Yeti, the XUV 500 was launched too and at atleast 15-20% less cost with two more seats and a proper SUV appeal, How could the poor Yeti sell anyway
It may; but I think it may be a very small portion. People looking at Yeti from a need point of view may not look at XUV and vice versa. Also Yeti top end 4x4 went up to 22L OTR Bangalore. Thats quite high. My take is, it should not have gone beyond 17-18 at the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
The Yeti came at a time when crossover space was so underdeveloped in India. To add on, the quirky looks were not upto everyone’s taste, and it suffered a lot in the size-for-money equation. If you remember, due to its pricing the comparison then was with the Fortuner, which was more closer to the traditional SUV definition.
True. But I think its the price more than its looks which killed it. If the top end 4x4 was at least 3-4L lower, it would have sold big. But for that to happen, Skoda should have plonked in a 1.6L diesel into it. (Else it would not have been in sync with Laura sales)

Quote:
IMO, if the Yeti came in today, it would have gained better ground, because now the public have got an eye to appreciate small Crossovers (through the Duster and now the Ecosport).
At 20L+, I highly doubt. I think its the pricing more than the looks which killed it.

Quote:
I doubt if these cars will really hit the 15 lakhs price point which is being discussed around. The Polar is supposed to be based on VAG’s new small family car platform which churns out entry level cars like the Up! and Citigo, and realistically it should not really cost more than the Ecosport. It should have the sub-4m advantage too.
Thats what even I wanted to confirm. I dont know if Polar/Taigun is sub 4m. Hence I meant for a section of Compact SUVs which are greater than 4m. Because anything less than 4m would eat into space and comfort.

Last edited by ampere : 15th July 2013 at 15:19.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2013, 15:37   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
True. But I think its the price more than its looks which killed it. If the top end 4x4 was at least 3-4L lower, it would have sold big. But for that to happen, Skoda should have plonked in a 1.6L diesel into it. (Else it would not have been in sync with Laura sales)
At 20L+, I highly doubt. I think its the pricing more than the looks which killed it.
Agreed, launching with just two variants (2.0 TDI 140bhp) was quite unimaginative. It would have done better if the 4x2 base variant was made available at the launch itself (to get that attractive starting price tag). Or as you mentioned, a base diesel with the 1.6 TDI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere
Thats what even I wanted to confirm. I dont know if Polar/Taigun is sub 4m. Hence I meant for a section of Compact SUVs which are greater than 4m. Because anything less than 4m would eat into space and comfort.
I remember reading about the Taigun that it will be sub-4m (38xx mm, don’t remember the exact length mentioned). I will look up for the news article later and will post here if I manage to find it.

Edit: Here you go - excerpt from Autocar UK’s first drive review of the Taigun concept.
Quote:
Although it rides on a platform structure whose wheelbase has been stretched by 50mm over that of the Up, at 2470mm, it is still quite compact by SUV standards, measuring just 3859mm in length, 1728mm in width and 1570mm in height. Still, the Taigun gives the impression of being a much larger car from inside, owing to deep footwells, generous cabin width and rather substantial seats.

Last edited by vb-saan : 15th July 2013 at 15:42. Reason: additional information added
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2015, 13:15   #38
Senior - BHPian

The demand for crossovers/compact SUVs is on the rise. To satiate this need, the Volkswagen group has been developing new SUVs across its brand portfolio, including Skoda. Earlier reports spoke of the Skoda Polar compact SUV, which was expected to make its debut in 2015. However, according to a report by auto-moto, a new crossover will be introduced towards the end of 2017.

Link to Team-BHP news article
Old 5th January 2015, 17:35   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
The demand for crossovers/compact SUVs is on the rise. To satiate this need, the Volkswagen group has been developing new SUVs across its brand portfolio, including Skoda. Earlier reports spoke of the Skoda Polar compact SUV, which was expected to make its debut in 2015. However, according to a report by auto-moto, a new crossover will be introduced towards the end of 2017.

Link to Team-BHP news article
2017? Why so early? They should wait a few more years. Fossil fuels will run out and they need not bother launching anything at all then.
pgsagar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2015, 17:59   #40
Senior - BHPian

Segment below the Yeti for Skoda - wouldn't that be a pretty cramped car?
Old 13th February 2015, 16:32   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Render Update;

Skoda Kamiq SUV - Rival to Duster, EcoSport is coming-2017skodapolarcrossoverrenderingfront.jpg

Looks to me as Skoda's version of the Q3

Image Source
Old 10th March 2015, 07:35   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda's upcoming Crossover - Polar spied, looks like a Yeti but the car looks wider and considerably higher than the current Yeti. These changes are significant to know that this is not the next generation model.

Quote:
the Skoda Polar, a new crossover from the Czech manufacturer that will fit in the A/A0 class alongside the a similar offering from the Spaniards based on the Ibiza, the Volkswagen Taigun and Audi Q1.
Skoda Kamiq SUV - Rival to Duster, EcoSport is coming-mysteriousskodayetimulespiedtestingisittheskodapolarphotogallery_2.jpg
Skoda Kamiq SUV - Rival to Duster, EcoSport is coming-mysteriousskodayetimulespiedtestingisittheskodapolarphotogallery_5.jpg
Skoda Kamiq SUV - Rival to Duster, EcoSport is coming-mysteriousskodayetimulespiedtestingisittheskodapolarphotogallery_6.jpg

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/my...ry-93085.html#

Last edited by volkman10 : 10th March 2015 at 07:37.
Old 8th May 2017, 08:01   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda's smallest crossover will be inline with VW's T Cross and Seat's Arona, to launch in 2019.

Old 1st September 2017, 16:22   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda's new CUV rendered.

Skoda Kamiq SUV - Rival to Duster, EcoSport is coming-skodafabiasuv1.jpg

Skoda Kamiq SUV - Rival to Duster, EcoSport is coming-skodafabiasuv2.jpg

link
Old 9th September 2017, 18:12   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda Kodiaq, Karoaq to get a little sibling - Polar? Could change with the name starting as K____!

Quote:
Skoda’s new crossover will have a lot in common with its cousin from Spain(SEAT- ARONA) as it will utilize the same MQB A0 platform. The hardware will also be put to good use in the next-generation Fabia supermini.
Now rendered,

Skoda Kamiq SUV - Rival to Duster, EcoSport is coming-2019skodapolarrender.jpg

LINK
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks