Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2013, 11:04   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

BMW i3 hatch breaks cover: Production version, Prices revealed

BMW i3 hatch breaks cover: Production version, Prices revealed-bmwi33production35.jpg

BMW i3 hatch breaks cover: Production version, Prices revealed-bmwi37production75.jpg

BMW i3 hatch breaks cover: Production version, Prices revealed-bmwi35production55.jpg

BMW i3 hatch breaks cover: Production version, Prices revealed-8200863241061580895.jpg

BMW i3 hatch breaks cover: Production version, Prices revealed-bmwi312production125.jpg

^ Yes this is the productions version

Engine option will be a 22 kWh lithium-ion battery and an electric motor that develops 170 HP and 250 Nm of torque.

0-100 km/h in 7.2 seconds

Limited top speed of 150 km/h

Travel range is approximately 130 to 160 km on a single charge.

The 2014 BMW i3 will be priced from €34,950 in Germany & $41,350 in the United States, excluding a $925 destination & handling fee.

Official launch will happen on July 29, 2013

Source

Last edited by karan561 : 24th July 2013 at 11:32.
karan561 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 19:36   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BMW i3 hatch breaks cover: Production version, Prices revealed

BMW i3 has been officially unveiled;

BMW i3 hatch breaks cover: Production version, Prices revealed-10445857571945832293.jpg

BMW officially unveiled the i3 at a series of simultaneous events in New York, London and Beijing (covering 4 continents to be precise)

Source
karan561 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 21:28   #3
BHPian

That is one hell of an ugly car. What's with the rear window and the massive front bumper with the miniature grille? Not well proportioned at all.
Additionally, it's priced at 3 series money, Can only do less than 90 miles on a full charge and like most other electric cars, it would take half a year to charge.
How is this any different from say a Nissan Leaf or even a Mahindra e2o for that matter? On top of that these guys say it's a "massive leap forward" towards sustainable transportation. What rubbish.

Last edited by mango_pal : 29th July 2013 at 21:33.
mango_pal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 15:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Production-spec BMW i3 Electric Car makes its tri-continent debut

Link to News Section

Late yesterday, the BMW i3 electric car was simultaneously showcased across three continents: Europe, Asia and North America. The first mass production electric vehicle from the world's largest luxury car maker, BMW, will go on sale in Europe by the end of this year. Sales in the United States and Asia will commence next year. The i3 electric car, according to BMW, is aimed at "sustainable mobility" across the spectrum of production, usage and after sales service.

BMW i3 hatch breaks cover: Production version, Prices revealed-2014-bmw-i3-electric-car-1.jpg

The car has been developed entirely by BMW and is priced at 34,950 Euros in Europe and 41,350 USD in the United States. Adding the petrol engined range extender will make the BMW i3's price shoot up by 4,500 Euros. BMW has invested 2 Billion Euros towards the design and development of the i3 electric car. Armed with unconventional looks, the BMW i3 electric car does retain the traditional BMW kidney grille up front.

BMW i3 hatch breaks cover: Production version, Prices revealed-2014-bmw-i3-electric-car-2.jpg

From this point on, the electric car's design seems to embrace function over form, practicality over striking looks. A crossover-like stance in a sub-4 meter compact car footprint are distinguishing characteristics of the i3, and so are the suicide style doors and the interior room for four adults. The BMW i3 employs a unique construction, necessitated largely by the requirements of light weight, high strength and safety.

BMW i3 hatch breaks cover: Production version, Prices revealed-2014-bmw-i3-electric-car-3.jpg

The car's passenger compartment features a carbon fiber reinforced polymer (CFRP) body shell mounted on an aluminium chassis, making the i3's construction the 21st century equivalent of the body-on-ladder chassis. While the passengers sit in the CFRP compartment, the aluminium chassis that sits underneath the passenger compartment hosts the electric motor, lithium ion battery stack, single speed gearbox, range extender and the electronics of the electric car.

BMW i3 hatch breaks cover: Production version, Prices revealed-2014-bmw-i3-electric-car-4.jpg

The extensive use of carbon fiber in the BMW i3 is to negate the additional weight that the lithium ion battery stack brings aboard the electric car. Effectively, by using carbon fiber, BMW has managed to partly get over one of the biggest limitations of electric cars, of that of weight and the accompanying loss in range. The BMW i3, which weighs a light-for-an-electric-car 1,195 kilograms, is powered by a 170 Bhp-250 Nm electric motor that derives its power from a lithium ion battery stack positioned in the floor pan of the car.

The positioning of the lithium ion battery stack is to give BMW i3 a low center of gravity, a factor that could deliver sharp handling. The electric motor is placed at the car's rear and drives the rear wheels of the car. The motor and the battery pack deliver a range of 130-160 kilometers/charge, which according to BMW is more than ample for city car buyers, who are said to seldom travel more than 64 kilometers a day.

The car also has two more range extending modes in the form of Eco Pro and Eco Pro+ modes. Turning on the Eco Pro mode will deliver an extended range of 20 Kms while the Eco Pro+ modes liberates another 20 Kms of range. Adding the optional range extender, which is a 650cc petrol engine that pumps of 34 Bhp, boosts range to 300 Kms on a single charge. The range extender extends range by acting as a generator to juice up the lithium ion battery stack of the i3. Brake energy regeneration is a standard feature on this electric car.

The range extender sits alongside the electric motor, at the rear of the BMW i3. The car gets a single speed transmission that drives the rear wheels of the car. With peak torque available right at standstill, the BMW i3 accelerates to 60 Kph in 3.7 seconds while the 100 Kph mark is achieved in 7.2 seconds. In the interest of conserving charge, BMW has limited the top speed of the i3 to 150 Kph. On the inside, BMW has outfitted the i3 with the Connected Drive system, touted to be the most advanced version of the car maker's telemetric and infotainment system.

The possibility of the BMW i3 being launched in India cannot be ruled out as the Indian government has rolled out the National Electric Mobility Mission Plan 2020 (NEMMP 2020). The NEEMP offers subsidies to electric and hybrid car makers, and for research and development activities aimed at production of such vehicles. Speaking to the EconomicTimes, here's what Mr. Harald Krueger, a BMW Group Board Member, had to say about the i3's viability for India,

Quote:
I was in New Delhi last week. We have discussed about this with the concerned minister. We will definitely come to India as we see there is a potential market. But we cannot say when (i3 will be launched in India).

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 30th July 2013 at 15:37. Reason: News Link Added
JayPrashanth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 15:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

One can put a Honda generator in the trunk and extend the range even more. Looks nothing like a BMW except the kidney grill. Tyres got be the skinniest for a BMW.
Old 30th July 2013, 18:45   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_pal View Post
That is one hell of an ugly car. What's with the rear window and the massive front bumper with the miniature grille? Not well proportioned at all.
Additionally, it's priced at 3 series money, Can only do less than 90 miles on a full charge and like most other electric cars, it would take half a year to charge.
How is this any different from say a Nissan Leaf or even a Mahindra e2o for that matter? On top of that these guys say it's a "massive leap forward" towards sustainable transportation. What rubbish.
Agreed, although does the Nissan Leaf and e20 have high top speeds (close to 150 here)? I'm sure the e20 doesn't.

The key piece of information missing is how much time does it take to charge the vehicle?
Old 30th July 2013, 21:23   #7
BHPian

The reason Tesla S was a success is due to its range and looks. i3 is not a practical car for most of the people; at least not for me. Range should be at least 250+ miles for any car either gas or electric. In most of the metros, commute ranges from 20-40 miles one way on an average. Even if there are super chargers or any new technology that can charge the batteries in 10-15 minutes, the range should still be 250+ Miles.

Every day I step out, I need to plan my schedule based on the range of my electric car!!

I was very much interested in i3 as a potential future replacement but not anymore. Its neither a looker nor a strong contender in the current market.
Old 31st July 2013, 00:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

Is it just me or is this really the ugliest BMW out there?

I think the next electric car which will surpass the Tesla S will be another Tesla!
Old 31st July 2013, 01:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the pictures, i think i just threw up in my mouth a little bit.
Old 31st July 2013, 08:27   #10
BHPian

BMW is trying to address the range anxiety by offering a X5 SUV as a "add-on-mobility" feature for several weeks in a year to cover for those occasional long drives with family.

Makes sense given that most daily commutes in urban areas involve a single person on a fixed route.
Old 31st July 2013, 08:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

It looks okay. The trick is to dissociate with other Bimmers.

Don't like those crying fog lamps and BMW should have extended the bigger glass area to the front window as well. The kink could have been under the ORVM.

The tyres look too narrow for the size. But, its an electric car and drag and load spoils the efficiency in a big way.

How does one open the rear door?
Old 31st July 2013, 09:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

Is THAT is the future of BMW? Looks wacky and overdone. The interior color combination, side profile and the rear take the cake. This is more like a souped up Reva of sorts. BMW, whatever happened to clean, proportionate, sporty designs?

I read somewhere BMW is eyeing the Tesla with their i3.

Epic FAIL.
Old 31st July 2013, 10:32   #13
BHPian

By far the most ugliest bimmer i have laid my eyes on. Is this their new design philosophy at work? I sure hope the future hybrids/electrics from bimmer don't get this front face because this just looks like the nano from the future (i am sure it'll be 'pretty' pretty.) This one just looks overdone imo, and i am not bashing it. Rather, i like bmw's designs for the most part.

I don't think this will have many takers as well, Tesla is rooted a little too well for this new one in town though. Tesla has the best of all worlds currently, and i think this bimmer lacks them all.
Old 31st July 2013, 11:07   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Certain facts about the i3 that may have been overlooked till now;

1) This is a seriously quick car, 0-62 in only 7 secs
2) BMW has achieved yet again a near perfect 50:50 weight distribution even with this sort of (1st time all electric) architecture.
3) Charge time is only 3 hrs with 220 V 32 amps (optional DC Fast Charging charges 80% in 20mins; 100% in 30 mins) - That's phenomenal IMO
4) This is the world’s first mass-produced CFRP (carbon fiber reinforced plastic)-constructed electric vehicle

Last edited by karan561 : 31st July 2013 at 11:08.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 16:09   #15
BHPian

THE Most ugliest Bimmer out in the town. It surely does not have the proportions that one would expect with a Bimmer. The timings do look good for an electric car. Also, the interiors are top-class! they just compensate for the disproportionate looks. Rear end too looks seriously good in comparison to the front.

BTW, will this come to India?

Also, can we have some have of the i3 please?
P.S: Hope that the i8 does not look like this.

Cheers,

Achyuth

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks