Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2014, 20:07   #46
BHPian

Just watched S21E02. Massively better than episode 1. McLaren P1 test was FANTASTIC.
At the end of the show, they said that the 918 is on the show in a couple of weeks time and both will be going around the track then. Should be very interesting to watch as both the cars haven't been compared yet, and McLaren haven't released their Nürburgring lap time, so this will be the first time both cars' lap times will be comparable.

Last edited by nipcarlover : 10th February 2014 at 20:08.
Old 10th February 2014, 20:13   #47
Senior - BHPian

re: TopGear Season 21 - Now on Air

Not really impressed with the latest episode as well. The Alfa did not go around the track in the hands of the stig, the P1 test was too small I feel.
Old 10th February 2014, 23:29   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Not really impressed with the latest episode as well. The Alfa did not go around the track in the hands of the stig, the P1 test was too small I feel.
Maybe you need to adjust your expectations. Last week, we were staying with friends in the UK and they have two daughters, 21 and 23 years old.

They both love TopGear, but as one of them put it: It is one of my favorite TV shows. The only thing is, sometimes they do go on about cars a bit too much!

Remember TG is not a car show, its an entertainment show. Cars are just props to them. And as Clarksson, over the years, repeatedly stated: TopGear has no impact whatsoever on the car industry, none, zero, zilch! And that is actually true. They have ridiculed certain cars to the extreme, they have been completely over the top on others. But with very little to no evidence that anybody took any notice to what car they eventually bought.

I love this show, but I'm never that interested in the tests either.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2014, 07:40   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Maybe you need to adjust your expectations. Last week, we were staying with friends in the UK and they have two daughters, 21 and 23 years old.

They both love TopGear, but as one of them put it: It is one of my favorite TV shows. The only thing is, sometimes they do go on about cars a bit too much!
My wife does not like topgear and she is not into cars. She does not like it because she is not into cars. What does that prove? Its a personal choice.

Quote:
Remember TG is not a car show, its an entertainment show. Cars are just props to them.
If it was not a car show, it would not be Topgear, entertainment or no entertainment. A major grouse people have when an episode is not up to their expectations is that it showed too less cars and too much of the script. I see it as a car show with a twist and both of them are important, the cars and the wit.

Quote:
And as Clarksson, over the years, repeatedly stated: TopGear has no impact whatsoever on the car industry, none, zero, zilch! And that is actually true.
If it had made no impact there would have been no controversies involving car companies and even governments. I rest my case.

Quote:
I love this show, but I'm never that interested in the tests either.
Not me. I love their tests, even more so than the much acclaimed fifthgear which seem as if they are reading out of a script, a bit too formal. TopGear is all about passion and the love of driving, the x-factor as jeremy put it, and they don't mince words never mind if its a Pagani, Ferrari, a Lamborghini or a lowly Fiesta ST.
Watching other car shows I feel if they are allowed to drive a halo car, they are obligated to that company. The critique just does not come through as critique, much too sugar coated and I hate that.
Old 11th February 2014, 08:27   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
If it had made no impact there would have been no controversies involving car companies and even governments. I rest my case.
The controversies are typically about Clarksson making remarks on something that has nothing to do with cars at all. Very often these remarks are not even on TopGear itself. There was his remark where he said certain people needed to be shot in front of their family. Not much to do with cars. That happened when he was a guest on a talk show.

I think they upset some people in India when they bolted a loo on a clapped out jaguar XJS they drove through India and that ruffled some feathers. Again, not much to do with cars perse, unless you believe they were trying to prove loo's should be on the option list for Jaguars sold in India. I could be mistaken, but I dont think any car company has ever taken exception with this lot. They might not cooperate, but that is as far as it goes. Clarksson review of the Opel/Vauxhall some years was legendary. He put that car down so much you would not believe in. still, commercially it was one of the best cars ever for Opel/vauxhall.

In fact there is a series in which they actually compare their advice/opinion on particular models to how succesfull or not the model was. I think they got it near 100% wrong.

Truth is, my opiniion, nobody should take anything serious what these guys say. If you do, that is a personal choice. You can always chose not to watch.

Enjoy!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2014, 09:37   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In fact there is a series in which they actually compare their advice/opinion on particular models to how succesfull or not the model was. I think they got it near 100% wrong.
Well they are not a car show in the sense they would not review every car which is on sale in the market but primarily the upmarket one's. For the sake of argument, the good things that they said about Range Rover's and Land Rover's does turn out into good sales but since we cannot say that this is because of their good review, the same way we can't say for sure when they review a certain model as not being good.

On the other hand are reviews, which are more like an ode to the model, the likes of Alfa Romeo Brera or the Maserati Quattroporte and it would be stupid to objectify them as such. The head and heart quandary which a lot us on the forum are also subjected to while purchasing a car.

Quote:
Truth is, my opiniion, nobody should take anything serious what these guys say. If you do, that is a personal choice. You can always chose not to watch.

Enjoy!

Jeroen
Obviously and they say so to. They chose Maserati Quattroporte over Panamera or the AM Rapide and no one can come to this conclusion by objectively judging the car but I know why they do and I can relate to it. Speaking of personal choices, I can 'choose' to critique the show I like the most if it was not up to 'my' expectations.
Old 13th February 2014, 08:41   #52
Senior - BHPian

Loved the second episode. That P1 review was great. Too bad we have to wait for the 918 to know the lap time on track! The news was quite hilarious!

Eagerly waiting for the Fiesta in the next episode. I love it when the 3 on on hatchbacks.
Old 13th February 2014, 09:59   #53
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I enjoy Top Gear. I enjoy Jeremy's "radical" views and "intent to shock the staid ones".
I like their constant "ribbing" of each other and their pranks etc - they are fun! Reminds me a lot of my old, valued friendships with fellows from "boarding school".

Many times, truth be told, I find I quite agree with Jezza's "unconventional" views. I have read all his books and indeed, I collect them, awaiting each new one with bated breath and acquiring it very quickly off amazon, well before it hits India.

I like May because I have similar interests in warplanes and old World War Two type things...
I like Hamster because he likes LandRovers and is a "Brummie" and has a good sense of humour.

While they may not be the greatest, most objective, most detailed and accurate "car show" on Earth, (in fact Tiff Needell's Fifth Gear is more "to-the-point" by far), I still enjoy watching these three naughty boys have fun in different vehicles, in different circumstances because they are a greatly "entertaining trio".

Incidentally, one of the "tipping points" which drove my decision to buy the Skoda Yeti, was Clarkson's show in March 2011. So I will not say that Im "above the influence" or anything like that.

Bottom-line. No Apologies. I enjoy Top Gear and will not stop watching it, irrespective of what anyone may say or any opinion that anyone at all may proffer.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 12:07   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I enjoy Top Gear. I enjoy Jeremy's "radical" views and "intent to shock the staid ones".
I like their constant "ribbing" of each other and their pranks etc - they are fun! Reminds me a lot of my old, valued friendships with fellows from "boarding school".
I really enjoy this show. I must have seen most episodes several times over and by now I also have a fairly large number of their shows on my iPad.

I'm really not that interested in the car test. I think the "star in a reasonable car" is beginning to wear a bit thin. I enjoy the various challenges the most. Whether its where they all buy an Alfa, or Porsche or Super Car for a thousand quid, to their exploration in the States, Africa, Norht Pole and India. Legendary stuff as far as I' concerned.

Like yourself I have all of Clarksson books and May's as well. In fact May has made several other documentaries/series that I also really enjoy. The one about the toys spring to mind and his two series where he goes out with wine connoiseur Ozz Clark looking for cheap good wine, first in France and then in the US. Briljantly done.

I'm ok with Hammond but I've not been impressed with his solo-TV-documentaries.

As a trio they are unique!

Jeroen

Last edited by Technocrat : 18th February 2014 at 21:10. Reason: Please avoid quoting a large quote as it causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 12:16   #55
BANNED

Quote:
I enjoy the various challenges the most. Whether its where they all buy an Alfa, or Porsche or Super Car for a thousand quid, to their exploration in the States, Africa, Norht Pole and India. Legendary stuff as far as I' concerned.

Like yourself I have all of Clarksson books and May's as well. In fact May has made several other documentaries/series that I also really enjoy. The one about the toys spring to mind and his two series where he goes out with wine connoiseur Ozz Clark looking for cheap good wine, first in France and then in the US. Briljantly done.

As a trio they are unique!

Jeroen

I also enjoy those "Expeditions" that they do. They are fantastic. (Ive been watching TG since 1993)

The "Wine" series of May's with Oz Clarke in France in that lovely old Jag XJS was superb indeed!

I have not seen the one in the US and indeed, did not know about that one, but shall look for it, now that you've mentioned it.

Yes I agree that together they are really funny. Perfect foils for each other. Individually I guess Jezza has a strong enough personality to carry him through, whereas May and Hamster are milder...some guys need the presence of each other to make the Chemistry come through and the "Trio" manage that beautifully.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 14:09   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I have not seen the one in the US and indeed, did not know about that one, but shall look for it, now that you've mentioned it.

y.

Actually, there are several US episodes. There is one where they land in Miami and all three have a 1000 dollars budget to buy a car and drive it to New Orleans or somewhere South anyway. The idea was it would be cheaper to buy a car, drive it and sell it, rather to rent.

Then there are, I seem to recall, two episodes where they take three new cars on a road trip through various parts of the USA. In one of these they also participate in racing on the dry salt flats.

All of them excellent episodes!

Jeroen
Old 13th February 2014, 14:13   #57
BANNED

Quote:
Actually, there are several US episodes. There is one where they land in Miami and all three have a 1000 dollars budget to buy a car and drive it to New Orleans or somewhere South anyway. The idea was it would be cheaper to buy a car, drive it and sell it, rather to rent.

Then there are, I seem to recall, two episodes where they take three new cars on a road trip through various parts of the USA. In one of these they also participate in racing on the dry salt flats.

All of them excellent episodes!

Jeroen

Oh I misunderstood. Ive seen all those TG episodes centred around the US of A.
I was thinking from your post that May and Oz Clarke did a round of Wineries in the US - I was looking forward to the Winey Delights of the Sonoma Valley and Napa Valley etc.
Old 13th February 2014, 15:10   #58
Senior - BHPian

I loved the Afghan bits of the second episode. Those are some mighty vehicles. I felt the P1 test was a little too short as well. Cant wait for the 918 and P1 comparison test.

My favourite TG challenges are when Clarkson is in a car with May and Hammond challenging in some form of public transport. I wonder what it will be in the current season.
Old 13th February 2014, 15:13   #59
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
My favourite TG challenges are when Clarkson is in a car with May and Hammond challenging in some form of public transport. I wonder what it will be in the current season.
Yes, these are well done indeed. I particularly liked the one with JC in the Aston and the other two in the Eurostar. London to Paris.
Old 13th February 2014, 15:15   #60
Senior - BHPian

Also loved the Ferrari Scaglietti up the snow capped mountains and the episode in Japan with the Nissan GTR and the bullet train (thats my personal fav). The last one in comparison (with the shelby mustang) and if one wants to count (the new zealand race) was quite bad.
Fullrevs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks