Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2014, 13:44   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: TopGear Season 21 - Now on Air

Even I haven't liked 5th episode, I felt cyclist part was too stretched and unnecessary.
Old 4th March 2014, 14:24   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Going by the fans here I may receive flak for my comments but I guess I should atleast be one for the other side and the truth must be told. Top Gear, factually is the least credible car program of all time. Jeremy Clarkson is a badge snob king followed by the other two, even though James May is a little more well reasoned. The show doesn't focus on reliability, practicality, features, value etc which 99% of the audience would like to know. Its about 3 people who get into a high powered Euro-car and blindly redline it, with the final outcome being which of the 3 destroys their car the most.

Call me kill-joy or old fashioned but I don't think its necessary to smash around a nice car, cut panels out of them and flog it till the threshold of the car is absolutely shattered in order to make the show "fun". Sure I know its not a serious, bland car review program and its all entertainment value but how much is too much? Its a well known fact that Top Gear stages everything from lap timings, their cross country adventures and their competitions where Jeremy in a car races the other 2 going in trains/boats.. it always ends in both teams arriving within 2 seconds of each other. http://cars.uk.msn.com/features/top-...es-media-storm & http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-ra...taches-reality

To me this show has zero credibility, and I feel nauseated that they wreck BMW's and Merc's and find fun in it. 5th Gear is a little more credible and more informative when it comes down to it, although it too has badge snobs for reviewers where all Japs/Korean/American cars are trash and only Euro brands rule. I gotta admit that while Germans make decent cars and are quite humble about it, these biased British reviewers irk everyone. There is a German reviewer on YouTube who drove the Hyundai i30 and called it on par with BMW 1 Series. Likewise American shows/reviewers are a lot more honest and give good respect to brands like Honda/Hyundai/GM rather than cavill them mercilessly. The only British review show I found credible can be found on YouTube "Carbuyer" where they respect all brands. Yes I repeat I know Top Gear isnt about reviews, I just feel its about nothing. I don't mean to offend fans over here, infact I'd appreciate if someone told me why its worth a watch.

Last edited by dark.knight : 4th March 2014 at 14:29. Reason: Typo correction
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2014, 15:18   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Yes I repeat I know Top Gear isnt about reviews, I just feel its about nothing. I don't mean to offend fans over here, infact I'd appreciate if someone told me why its worth a watch.
Not offended by your post at all! However, to me its worth a watch because it is most entertaining car show for someone who loves to see anything that is car centric.
Old 4th March 2014, 15:33   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Going by the fans here I may receive flak for my comments but I guess I should atleast be one for the other side and the truth must be told. Top Gear, factually is the least credible car program of all time.
Agree with some of your views. Top Gear isnt a proper car review show and there are other options/shows for this. People like me love to watch top gear because of the entertainment factor, frank opinions. We all know that most of their challenges/drives are staged but the way they present is what we enjoy. The brilliant camera work (which almost beats Hollywood flicks), the BGM score and the way they edit it. For proper car reviews, we have Chris Harris, Autocar UK and other individual shows. If you feel top gear is all drama and a waste of time, what do you say about the reality shows that's on all the channels?

PS - Let's not start a debate on this. No offense.
Old 4th March 2014, 20:23   #80
BHPian

Quote:
GTop Gear, factually is the least credible car program of all time. Jeremy Clarkson is a badge snob king followed by the other two, even though James May is a little more well reasoned. The show doesn't focus on reliability, practicality, features, value etc which 99% of the audience would like to know. I

Ah! Straight from the Heart! I like that and hats off for speaking your mind!

A young viewer seeing it would actually feel that it is ok to offend and make fun out of people in the name of reviews!

Cheers!

Shashi
shashi63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2014, 22:15   #81
gemi_kk

Quote:
I should atleast be one for the other side and the truth must be told. Top Gear, factually is the least credible car program of all time. Jeremy Clarkson is a badge snob king followed by the other two. The show doesn't focus on reliability, practicality, features, value etc which 99% of the audience would like to know.
This is how they are differentiating their show. If they do it the regular guys way, how many would watch it? Now, who seek some comedy watch top gear. *Some* Auto enthusiasts do watch it. Its their way of presentation.
Does our Indian Autocar (The lady reviewer show) or some other show test automobiles on reliability? They just say, the product is from maruti (or other brand) so it is reliable. So, is this the way the reliability test be conducted?

They never broke a new car. They just broke an old car. Always, they buy in used for few hundred or thousand bucks. Yeah, we don't get such good cars in india at such a price, so we feel bad. Its our problem.

At Clarkson's age, he wont be able to drive 24 hours non stop. At our age, i don't think we will be able to drive so long. And that too above 100 MPH. They might have edited it so that both teams travelling time to be same. Also they might have edited it accordingly. i am not going to buy a car based on TG.
Boy, there was a lady, who spilled her coffee on her (Mishandled) @ a CCD in US. And she dragged them to court and she made them pay 2.6 Million $$$. That's how their law is. If BBC doesn't choose their own *scape goats* of their shows, they will be sued to death. You cant go to a public place and do all circus in these countries.

If you like 5th gear, you watch it. No one has a problem. Let me give demonstrate this with an example. There is a Hindi movie called, Ready or some other from Salman. This was a Huge hit in bollywood. However it was a remake of a telugu movie ABC. Not only me, Many telugites didn't liked hindi version. The same is the case with Dabbang. What we must understand is, these are regional movies which are catered as per specific customer requirements. If you are not the intended recipient, then you should refrain yourself from complaining.

During my stint in MH, the one thing that i hated was Vada pav. I hated it. I tried at least a hundred times to get accustomed. Every time i had it, i hated it. But, to my surprise, Vada pav is the one of the most had food in india. If i don't like an item it doesn't mean, it is bad. If an item is consumed by most indians doesn't mean i should love it everyday. (By the way, i love Dhabeli). Now Clarkson hates American cars. Doesn't mean, they are bad.

Top gear is called Top gear UK. They don't edit like Hollywood movies. If you watch any popular English Hollywood movie, you can notice that the audio speed is a bit tweaked to facilitate their international customers. TG doesn't do it. They maintain their own style & They still call it Top gear UK.

Again, TG doesn't hate all Japanese or Korean cars. Toyota truck was named Invincible. They love Civic, NXR, Nissan GTR and many other cars. What they hate are cars like Pink Micra. They hate Ford ecoboost cars with 1.0 liter engines which fail to match FE of a polo 2.0 TDI. I don't see anything wrong. aren't manufacturers misleading stating their art of design engines, when they cant match FE of an ageold Polo?
Clarkson bought a Ford F 40. He owned many Ford's. But he thrashes US brands and you can find his reasons in almost his shows. Handling.

Our Tata's launched our Indica in UK naming it a Rover. When indica was launched, I hated it. So, i hated Indica in India. Now, how does UK people feel when they see Indica?
How do they feel when you say that you are launching New LR or Jaguar?
Is this how we build our reputation? So we see it as wrong when they bash our LR and jaguar.

They are a part of Europe. They have been habituated to their brands and they love theirs. So they support theirs. Like we support our Maruti. Even though Suzuki had to shut shop ~throughout the world, we love our maruti's.

Car buyer reviews are good. Presentation style is good. Simple & elegant.
For entertainment, TG rocks.

Last edited by Technocrat : 6th March 2014 at 00:25. Reason: Please quote selectively as a large quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
  (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2014, 08:35   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

99% of the audience would like to hear things on cars such as reliability etc?

So how come 250 million people watch this show? Apparently they are in the Guinness book of world records. ( http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglopheni...-in-the-world/ )

And of course, Clarksson calls it the most watched factual show. As I have said many times on this forum, everybody is entitled to his own facts! This forum is absolutely awash with individuals putting forward their "facts".

I'm probably just about the last guy who tends tend to agree with the masses, but in this case I am one of those 250 million people watching every time and God knows how many reruns Ive seen. It is one of the few TV programs my wife and I watch together and she isn't even remotely interested in cars. And that is a fact.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2014, 23:18   #83
Senior - BHPian

The trailer for Burma Special. Should be fun.

deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2014, 06:31   #84
BHPian

I don't get why does Jeremy go through all the trouble sometimes!
[SPOILER ALERT] In the Burmese challenge, he makes the truck a convertible.

Does he do all that just to get us cracking? Though I laughed a lot, couldn't help pitying the Orangutan.
Old 10th March 2014, 17:20   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
The trailer for Burma Special. Should be fun.
+ review on the guardian @ http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-ra...eremy-clarkson

cant wait to see it on the telly.
Old 10th March 2014, 20:17   #86
BHPian

hi

I just could not stop laughing after the cyclist episode;

I guess the same thing could be easily applied to the bike riders in India ( at least the ones who really drive with no care to themselves or to others or to any rules ).
Old 10th March 2014, 22:09   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantis0965 View Post
hi

I just could not stop laughing after the cyclist episode;

I guess the same thing could be easily applied to the bike riders in India ( at least the ones who really drive with no care to themselves or to others or to any rules ).
+1 I really loved all the ads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
+ review on the guardian @ http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-ra...eremy-clarkson

cant wait to see it on the telly.
Its amazing. Burma is so beautiful!
Old 10th March 2014, 23:39   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Top Gear, factually is the least credible car program of all time.
TG isn't a car program/show, it's an entertainment show.
It is just coincidence that it involves vehicles that move. Their style of presentation is entirely different & that's what makes it worthwhile to watch.

Let me try a meek attempt at their style to describe 6th episode.

Jeremy shows an entire different way to ICE a truck, I guess he took help from our own LBM for that subwoofer. Episode has taken inspiration from Hollywood & shows glimpses of movies like Poseidon adventure, Indiana Jones series & even Good, Bad and ugly. It's an soul searching journey in Burma for TG presenters & worth to look forward to their bridge making on river Kwai in next episode.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 10:37   #89
Senior - BHPian

Burma Special Part 2 is amazing! Don't miss it guys.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 19:56   #90
BHPian

Is the Burma special the season finale?Would have loved to watch a few more episodes.

Most Viewed