Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2015, 10:42   #46
BHPian

Re: Spy Pics: 2016 BMW 7 Series (G11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Activ8 View Post
They used to make cars aimed at enthusiasts. Today they're simply making cars for badge whores who won't use more than 20% of a car's capability.
Which is it? Is it they Used to make cars for enthusiasts or they still make cars of equal capabilities that most buyers don't use (aka bagde whores). Cant be both! Who buys a BMW car is not in their hands. But in my opinion they still do make cars for enthusiasts.

Quote:
BMW is no stranger to strange problems. The company has an admirable track record of introducing new technologies. Unfortunately, the new tech tends to be unreliable at first. The latest example giving BMW's warranty department gas is the N63 twin-turbocharged V8, introduced in 2008.
Citing one technical fault on one engine line, that too considering if used as engineered would not have been a problem is overkill IMHO. At these engineering extremes these things happen. For example if you drive an F1 car too slow it is basically a death trap. The article is clearly trying to portray the challenges of introducing new technology and not going after BMW as an inferior engineering firm. One could have posted similar things with other manufactures like Mercedes. Mercedes cancels by-wire brake system; decision a blow to technology's future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Activ8 View Post
Or, own one and and then come back to gripe
Having driven a plethora of vehicles on track days and private events at Losail International Ciruit, i can confidently say i would prefer an M3 or M4 over most cars to own and for track days.

Having owned 3 BMW X5s i will concede that you can only keep these cars for 4-5 years max. They are hard to maintain vehicles and that is no secret. My Cayenne was an easier vehicle to live with but had its own issues.

You cannot equate a brand's technical prowess by the kind of people that buy them. Calling someone out is great and can be informative, but without substance makes one look petty. The only thing i am really concerned with is the fact that whoring myself out to this badge has put many smiles on my face.

cheers

B.B
budgam.boonyi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2015, 20:16   #47
BHPian

I hate flame wars but I'll try to answer your doubts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgam.boonyi View Post
Which is it? Is it they Used to make cars for enthusiasts or they still make cars of equal capabilities that most buyers don't use (aka bagde whores). Cant be both! But in my opinion they still do make cars for enthusiasts.
I'm not sure why they have to be mutually exclusive, unless you didn't get my point. Modern cars have technology and capabilities that most owners will not reach 80% of. That still doesn't make them great driver cars. Sure, BMW still makes some cars for enthusiasts but I'm not sure how many folks (average age of ownership 50+) can tell the difference in steering feel between a BMW and a Mercedes like you seemed to suggest. The magazine reviews will tell them ofcourse, but that's all.

An E30 3-series had handling capabilities that didn't require you to buy an M version (i.e., it was a great car on it's own), but the M3 was distinctly superior to it's cheaper stablemates. They didn't need hood scoops and side vents to differentiate. On the other hand, an F10 M5 has the same engine (albeit with different tunes & maps) as the F10 550i and isn't even built by Motorsport (same production line as a regular 5). M5 buyers today are buying that 'enthusiast' car for it's badge not its capability. But they really wouldn't even be able to use the 550i's full capability - and that is a soft boat not an enthusiast car. That's what I meant.

Quote:
Citing one technical fault on one engine line, that too considering if used as engineered would not have been a problem is overkill IMHO. At these engineering extremes these things happen. For example if you drive an F1 car too slow it is basically a death trap.
Exactly - that is your opinion, but not fact. (1) It is not extreme engineering to build a road car that needs to have reliability. If a vehicle line director doesn't know what he's selling or who is target customer is, then you're admitting they have a serious problem. And, you can't compare BMWs to F1 cars. (2) Blaming the end user for not driving 'properly' is simply arrogant. If your battery dies out every 3 months, that is not a customer's fault that you engineered it that way. That's like Apple telling you that you don't know how to hold the phone properly when it can't catch network. That's just BS.

Quote:
The article is clearly trying to portray the challenges of introducing new technology and not going after BMW as an inferior engineering firm. One could have posted similar things with other manufactures like Mercedes. Mercedes cancels by-wire brake system; decision a blow to technology's future
Again, I gave only one example - which was both recent and relevant, but there are several - HPFP in the N54 engine, etc. being some prominent ones. Go on this M5Board thread and check out member GKInvest's post on the 2nd page to see BMW's attitude to M owners and performance cars. Might open your eyes.

Also, Mercedes canceling the unreliable Sensotronic is actually in the interest of the consumer and performance. They did absolutely the right thing by pulling a not-mature-for-market technology to reduce warranty claims and their rankings in JDPower. That is good engineering.

Quote:
You cannot equate a brand's technical prowess by the kind of people that buy them.
Absolutely. I'm not saying BMW lacks technological prowess - as is evidenced by their i-brand, their hydrogen-fueled cars, etc. But I am saying that your statement of R&D $$$ going toward 'genes' and not fluff is patently false when the example I provided points to exactly that - fluff! To show more fuel-efficiency at the cost of changing batteries out every 3 months is not solving an issue through technology, but merely shifting the problem.

Anyways, everyone is entitled to their opinions and their choice of brand. I owned an E34 M5 and love BMW. I owned a BB6 Prelude and love Honda. However, that does not blind me to their flaws. Right now I can't say I'd buy any car from either stable - one because it's not value for what you pay ($82k for an M3 optioned out to my specs) in terms of performance per dollar and the other because they don't make any enthusiast cars right now (since the demise of the S2k). So I will call them out and encourage them to get back to their roots.
Old 8th June 2015, 10:05   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

The first official images of the India-bound 2016 BMW 7-Series (G11/G12) have leaked online.

Carbon-core technology, all-new six cylinder engines, first-of-a-kind touchscreen iDrive, remote control parking, etc., are some of the novel features the all-new 7-series will be coming with.

Spy Pics: 2016 BMW 7 Series (G11)-2016bmw7seriesleaked.jpg

Spy Pics: 2016 BMW 7 Series (G11)-2016bmw7seriesledheadlightsleaked900x348.jpg

Spy Pics: 2016 BMW 7 Series (G11)-2016bmw7seriesfrontbumperleaked900x263.jpg

Spy Pics: 2016 BMW 7 Series (G11)-2016bmw7seriesfrontseatsleaked900x428.jpg

Spy Pics: 2016 BMW 7 Series (G11)-2016bmw7seriesrearseatsleaked900x276.jpg

Spy Pics: 2016 BMW 7 Series (G11)-2016bmw7seriessteeringleaked900x259.jpg

Spy Pics: 2016 BMW 7 Series (G11)-2016bmw7seriesclusterleaked900x269.jpg

Spy Pics: 2016 BMW 7 Series (G11)-2016bmw7seriesacleaked900x301.jpg

Spy Pics: 2016 BMW 7 Series (G11)-2016bmw7seriesassistbuttonleaked900x257.jpg

Spy Pics: 2016 BMW 7 Series (G11)-2016bmw7seriestelephoneleaked900x384.jpg

SOURCE (via IAB)
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 11:28   #49
BHPian

I am going to borrow the words of a Jalopnik commenter and say something here.

Dear BMW,
There is something very wrong with your styling department if a two decade old predecessor to your brand new car looks way better than the latter.

Here's for your viewing pleasure, the e38 7 series.

Image source

Spy Pics: 2016 BMW 7 Series (G11)-1286762207046825799.jpg

Spy Pics: 2016 BMW 7 Series (G11)-rr.jpg

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 8th June 2015 at 19:03. Reason: Image source added
nakul0888 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 11:52   #50
BHPian

BMW's theme of the headlight meeting the radiator grill is one of the worst design characteristics of current bmw's.

Last edited by petroguzzler : 8th June 2015 at 11:55.
petroguzzler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 21:10   #51
Team-BHP Support

If this is interior of new 7 LWB , I am disappointed by the limited photographs available at the moment , missing expected features- extended Lumbar Support , Tray tables in Central Armrest - 4 seat configuration , idrive from back (appears to be replaced with Remote ) I can see a digital track-pad but nothing giving pleasure of rotating rotary knob It will now be interesting to see if this can meet S Class by Driving dynamics & all the Carbon stuff used.

Last edited by Turbanator : 8th June 2015 at 21:25.
Old 10th June 2015, 13:43   #52
Team-BHP Support

Looks new one is here for testing
Attached Thumbnails
Spy Pics: 2016 BMW 7 Series (G11)-capture.jpg  

Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 14:50   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
BMW's theme of the headlight meeting the radiator grill is one of the worst design characteristics of current bmw's.
To add, to my eyes the bulge in the bonnet gives the 3 series and the 7 series atleast in the pictures a very awkward stance.
Old 10th June 2015, 16:37   #54
Team-BHP Support

Can catch live action here in few hours ..

http://live.bmwgroup.com/2015G11/index.html
Old 11th June 2015, 00:17   #55
BHPian

2016 BMW 750Li detailed exterior footage (BMW sourced):

Old 11th June 2015, 00:56   #56
Senior - BHPian

Some nice details (or a mini tech review), via @theVerge

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/10/87...ries-announced
Closed Thread

Most Viewed