Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2013, 09:37   #76
BHPian

Re: Mercedes S-Class : Official Preview

Super review...covers each and every detail... And what a car!!! Any idea about when the 350 Diesel is coming to India? And what would be the price? On Indian roads where we have speed breakers every 500m, the MBC is a real boon. Is there any possibility that they may bring the the MBC in the 350 CDI in near future? The Executive seat and Chauffeur packages will be available here also, rt?
Old 28th August 2013, 10:02   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Great review there, I am sure it is the most detailed and comprehensive review of this car on the net.

I have mixed feelings about this car. This car is made to compete with Rolls/Bentley range so it is going to cost big bucks. If you are on a budget and hoping to buy this car, it is going to hurt. OTOH, it is going to please the rich customers with "Rolls at a bargain with practicality" appeal.

There are lot of low-tech features I have come to like in W221 which are missing in W222. Horn-pad on the steering stretches up to the rim in W221 which is a boon in India. The new S has the typical lump in the middle which is a pain to use. The W221 has front fenders curved in, which offer fantastic protection while parking next to crazy Indian pavements.
Mercedes S-Class : Official Preview-image.jpg
W221 also has very good ground clearance. Have to see how much GC will be offered on W222 in India.

I am skeptical about the LED headlamps in India. We drive with constant on-coming traffic, so the LED which is supposed create a shadow will go bonkers unless they customize it for India, which essentially means remove all the intelligent stuff. Also W221 is a 5-seater car, good for family use. Given that radar-tech is not allowed in India, we miss out a lot of tech features.

The most promising feature is the Magic Body Control, I hope it will be offered as a standard spec in India because right now it an option only for S500 and above in US. This feature alone can make this car a top-seller in its segment.

Overall, Mercedes has done a fantastic job. This car makes W221 feel one segment lower and leaves very little space for competition. But I am somehow in awe of the practicality of W221 on Indian roads. Not that I can afford a replacement ;-)
androdev is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 10:24   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Best review on Tbhp yet, amazing job Rehaan !

Since they did confirm launch this year end I am sure that would be for the CBU and in true MBIL style they will get an AMG limited edition kit for the launch.
However, I am keen to know if they mentioned by when they would start the CKD production of the car in India?
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 10:56   #79
BHPian

Thank you for this amazing review - first of the kind I have read so far. . Good to know about the many features that have evolved in the coming years.
Old 28th August 2013, 11:46   #80
BHPian

Thats a mind blowing review. Amazing picture quality; captures the intricate details. I got so lost in the pictures & the sub titles that i had to read it again to look at the text in between.

It looks like a 5 star personal lounge at disposal, only missing thing seems to be a personal butler at your service.

Its a tech marvel, the gizmos in there have been decoded very well by you for newbie's like me, who still have to make do with the humble hatch backs.
Old 28th August 2013, 12:40   #81
BHPian

Thanks for the review. It is one of the most detailed review I have ever read
Old 28th August 2013, 13:29   #82
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Interiors

An extremely classy review for a classy automobile.

Love that 2-spoke steering wheel for its simplicity. A few years down the lane, it could be termed as a classic design.
Overall the car look a bit too sterile though
Old 28th August 2013, 14:23   #83
BHPian

What an awesome review. This is by far the best that I have ever read with the animated images. It takes the understanding to a different level. And the S-Class impresses as usual with all its might.
Old 28th August 2013, 14:54   #84
Senior - BHPian

What a fantastic piece of engineering. Everything about it oozes technology , comfort and reference quality. Also , a well written and elaborate review to accompany the great pictures. Overall , a job very well done.
Old 28th August 2013, 15:47   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Can I request you to please send me a full size image, where the ambient lighting is shown.
Merc provided that photo. You can click the image to open a bigger version, or click here for the original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpusv View Post
Is there a way to turn that off? Because, depending on whether there is something occupying the center display area, every time I see the screen, I have to also register the number against which the needle is hovering.
It only activates on particular screens. I don't think there's any workaround, though alternatively i'm sure there's also a digital display for the speed & rpm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2ksrs View Post
How does this new S stack up against it's chief competitors - the A8 and the mighty 7?
I don't think it would be fair to compare to the current A8 & 7, as the new ones are just around the corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
I just wish that some new exciting things would happen under the hood too.
Agreed!!! (Not specifically for Merc, but in the whole auto industry). I think that's why i'm following the Tesla story so keenly. Check out the 3-4 Tesla S threads on Team-BHP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
I mean I understand its MB and they may have tested them a thousand times but still, I feel this car has just too many systems.
I look at this S-Class as more of a technological demonstration than a 'car'. Some of the tech i'd like to see trickle down to other cars, some i wouldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
WIt makes me wonder, with so many delicate stuff strewn around, how would the car cope up with the daily grind in India? The potholes, the dust and the pollution. Will it be reliable?
Well, they've obviously tested it extensively in a variety of conditions -- but that's normal for most cars.

Merc had actually taken a beating in its reliability ratings over the last decade, and someone mentioned to me that as a result they stripped a lot of tech out from the W221. I guess they've taken this time to improve on things, and now its back with a bang in the W222.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Maybe I missed it .. what tyres does it ride on? Spare?
It's riding on Michelins. (click for a larger view)

I didn't get a chance to look at the spare. Believe it or not, i went into this drive with the intention of making this a very basic write-up

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th August 2013 at 15:50.
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 16:00   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Rehaan, with motors in almost every nook in the car, did Mercedes throw light on the maintenance/replacing interval?
They'd probably say nothing is required. As far as how that pans out in reality - we'll have to wait and see.

I think it would probably save a rainforest if they only provided digital manuals for the S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M View Post
Is there any possibility that they may bring the the MBC in the 350 CDI in near future?
Good question. I see no reason why the MBC was left out of the sub-S500 variants, other than differentiation. Though personally i don't see why they can't / don't offer it as an optional add-on on the other variants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M View Post
The Executive seat and Chauffeur packages will be available here also, rt?
Yes. China, India and other rear-seat markets were the reason these configurations were given so much importance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
W221 also has very good ground clearance. Have to see how much GC will be offered on W222 in India.
Not mentioned. Here's some AIRMATIC specs:
Name:  Airmatic.PNG
Views: 1523
Size:  14.5 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Also W221 is a 5-seater car, good for family use.
The W222 in its basic avatar is a 5-seater too! Its just that the (optional) Executive seat package eliminates the middle passenger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
However, I am keen to know if they mentioned by when they would start the CKD production of the car in India?
Early 2014 might have been suggested/overheard, but nothing concrete was mentioned.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 16:02   #87
BHPian

Re: Driving Assistance Systems

That's a masterful review of an absolutely drool worthy car! Truly, what use of technology and how minutely driver and passenger safety and comfort have been thought about! I am absolutely floored.

Rehaan, the quality of your review and your keen observations do justice to this techno-luxurious marvel! Kudos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
DRIVING ASSISTANCE SYSTEMS
Mercedes themselves say that the S-Class has all the technology required to drive itself autonomously, but legislation prevents that from happening in commercially available vehicles. Over the years, the systems have continued to cross the line from being suggestive, to being helpful, to completely doing things for you!

Personally, I would draw the line at 'being helpful' and not want more than that. Maybe it's my Indian road-experience talking, but I just see too many possibilities for error in less than perfect driving conditions. Worse yet, in developed countries, I feel that S-Class drivers might begin to get complacent and completely rely on the helpful features, despite them being provided merely as supplementary driving aids. A shocking 41% of drivers in the USA say they've fallen asleep at the wheel. Now they'd probably feel comfortable doing so, and if they get woken up rudely, it probably won't end well for anyone.

Rehaan, what are your thoughts on how the driverless technology on the Merc works vis-a-vis the driverless technology that's being worked upon by Google? Would be an interesting comparison.
Old 28th August 2013, 18:29   #88
BHPian

Rehaan,

Brilliant review. Just one small question: How did the number plates end up with Team-BHP on them?
Old 28th August 2013, 18:54   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Gear View Post
Rehaan, what are your thoughts on how the driverless technology on the Merc works vis-a-vis the driverless technology that's being worked upon by Google?
I'd say there's a pretty huge difference, since they are designed for different purposes. Discussed a bit in post #49 here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
How did the number plates end up with Team-BHP on them?
Same as all our other reviews - they are added on to the image later.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th August 2013 at 18:55.
Old 28th August 2013, 19:31   #90
Team-BHP Support

Wow! What a review Rehaan, just brilliant. It was like watching a movie and man it feels nice. This car is just out of the world, so much of techno wizardry that makes the driver redundant. Always admired the older models for their classic characteristics and built like a tank feel, but this one is just awesome. Really deserving car for the millionaires

5 star thread! Yes it is.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks