Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2013, 09:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai inaugurates test facility at Nurburgring

Link to News Section

Bucket lists of many a motoring enthusiast features an entry called "Drive at the Nurburgring". Nurburgring is a racing circuit in Germany that is famed for its demanding nature. Over the years, high speed fatalities have also given the circuit a fearsome reputation of being one of the most challenging circuits for drivers/riders to drive/ride hard and fast. The Nurburgring, in its present state consists of 73 corners, 33 left and 40 right. The track is 20.48 kilometers long and consists of gradient changes spanning 300 meters between its highest and lowest points.

Hyundai inaugurates test facility at Nurburgring-hyundai-nurburgring-test-center-2.jpg

Nurburgring's original purpose was different though. The circuit was set up in order to serve as a testing ground for automobile makers, while also playing host to motorsport events throughout the year. While many top motorsport events have eschewed the Nurburgring due to safety concerns, the track continues to be used by automakers as a testing ground while enthusiasts continue to use it for driving holidays. It isn't uncommon to spot test mules of global car brands being tested at the Ring and the latest automaker to jump onto the Nurburgring bandwagon is South korean automaker Hyundai.

Hyundai inaugurates test facility at Nurburgring-hyundai-nurburgring-test-center-1.jpg

A regular visitor to the Ring for testing its cars, it was only recently that the automaker established a formal presence at this racing circuit. Hyundai has just inaugurated a 9 million US dollar test facility at the Nurburgring, which will be known as the Hyundai European Test Centre. Spanning 39,000 square feet across 4 floors, Hyundai's European Test Centre at the Ring will spearhead the automaker's road testing activities with a special emphasis on vehicle dynamics and endurance. The facility's four floors comprise of workshops, office spaces and hospitality units.

Hyundai inaugurates test facility at Nurburgring-hyundai-nurburgring-test-center-3.jpg

This centre supplements Hyundai's R&D centre at Russelsheim, Germany. As of now, the media spiel coming out of Hyundai suggests that learnings from the Nurburgring will be used mainly on the automaker's cars sold in the European car market. A trickle down effect of this program, to Hyundai cars sold in other international markets seems likely in the years to come. The South Korean car maker, known for building reliable and feature packed cars, often falls short in the dynamics department.

Hyundai inaugurates test facility at Nurburgring-hyundai-nurburgring-test-center-4.jpg

In that light, Hyundai's full-time Nurburgring presence could add an all new dimension to the automaker's cars of the future. In the Indian context, Hyundai has been working on improving the dynamics of its cars and the latest example of that is the Grand i10, which shows a marked improvement over the likes of the i10 and the i20 when it comes to delivering a planted ride over undulating surfaces. With the Nurburging test facility up and running, expect quicker progress on this front. Click here to read Team-BHP's official review of the Hyundai Grand i10.

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 25th September 2013 at 09:41. Reason: News Link Added
JayPrashanth is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 13:32   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai inaugurates test facility at Nurburgring

Hyundai's cars are now good looking, compared to the ugly ducklings of the past decade.

The Grand i10 certainly doesn't bounce around as much as the i10 / i20 at speed.

In terms of quality, they're easily on par - if not better than - the Japanese. The reliability of Hyundai mechanicals is generally strong.

Now, is Hyundai looking at dynamics & handling
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 13:44   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post

Bucket lists of many a motoring enthusiast features an entry called "Drive at the Nurburgring".
yes, its definitely on my bucket list.This is where the big germans are tested.Nice to see hyundai moving in the right direction. i don't think ill be seeing any indian manufacturers at the ring in my life time.
Old 25th September 2013, 15:43   #4
BHPian

That's a great step from Hyundai.Quality Cars with good dynamics means more options for enthusiast's.Kudos to Hyundai
Old 27th September 2013, 08:52   #5
BHPian

to Hyundai!

As much as I dislike its cars on a personal level, I must admit that Hyundai is one company that is clearly making progression in the right direction. Having achieved high standards with respect to overall quality levels and introduced some really stunning designs to the market, the company is quick it's weakness in the dynamics department and has started work on it. The fact that they have invested a huge chunk of money in this facility shows their desire to excel in every aspect of an automobile. No wonder; it is one of the quickest companies to reach the top 5 in car sales on a global level.

PS: The Verna, but for its uninspiring road manners, excels in almost every other aspect from its competition. If Hyundai can fine-tune it and come up with European levels of ride and handling, it can simple annihilate the competition!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks