Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2013, 16:27   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: NEW: Thread 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
@ theMAG: You mentioned about Odyssey in the initial post but i don't see it anywhere.
Here you go - uploaded some of the limited exposures we got with the Odyssey. Didnt include it earlier for the same reason.

The new model is the 5th generation; 2013->2008>2003>1998>1994 is its lineage. All I can say is that the 3-row business class seating it had was fabulous. With its low flooring, it looked purposeful. The only vehicle where sliding rear doors have actually made the vehicle look more lethal!

Visiting Honda @ Japan: Mobilio, Jazz, Hybrid Tech & Tokyo Motor Show-img_1927.jpg

A more likely view in traffic!

Visiting Honda @ Japan: Mobilio, Jazz, Hybrid Tech & Tokyo Motor Show-img_1929.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Don't know why we didn't get such cars here in India. I am sure they have potential here to succeed.
Unfortunately, being designed solely for Western markets, its dynamics (low floor, lowered suspension, large engine, creature comforts etc.) and therefore price (a Honda India top exec estimated it would not be below Rs 30 lakhs if launched in India as-is) seem to have discouraged Honda from considering the Odyssey for the Indian market.
theMAG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 22:50   #32
BHPian

Re: Visiting Honda @ Japan: Mobilio, Jazz, Hybrid Tech & Tokyo Motor Show

For all of us who couldn't travel to Tokyo and be a part of the motorshow and experience the awesome Honda Technology, this thread served as a lovely opportunity. Thank you TheMAG.

Some very interesting technology to look forward too. The stuff that dreams are made include the NSX and the S660. Totally blown away by them.

Being a little more realistic, the Accord looked quite impressive. Looked like the revolutionary brethren of the 2008, 8th Gen Accord. Would be interested to know what the performance is like. Have always been an Accord fan, but would like to see frills in comparison to the competition.

The Jazz/Fit looked pretty good, and so did the Vezel. Both looking good. My colleague is already ready to drop his money on a Vezel; though the 'maybe in 2015' status would be a deterrent.

Never been an MPV fan. The Mobilio is decent, considering its competitor is the Ertiga. Not something that would get me excited though.
Old 3rd December 2013, 07:51   #33
Senior - BHPian

Great report Mag. The new Jazz and Mobilio look rather good for their respective segments. Future looks good for Honda.

Disappointed about the Civic. The Civic sold in good numbers till it became long in the tooth, with newer models from competition, and petrol/diesel price bias became dominant. But its an enthusiast's car for folks in India - why wouldn't they launch it with both petrol and diesel powertrains ? After all, their arch rival Toyota is still plying the Corolla updates ?
Old 18th December 2013, 13:06   #34
Senior - BHPian

Thank you the Mag.
Awesome coverage on the hybrids.
I am eagerly waiting for the jazz it looks really nice
Old 12th January 2014, 16:19   #35
DWC
BHPian

Re: Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
(OFF-TOPIC)

And the two new models in two separate segments are:-

The Mobilio MPV in June-July, 2014,

Attachment 1189217

and, the all-new Jazz/Fit sometime in November-December, 2014.

Attachment 1189218

Slight correction, the Jazz belongs to the hatchback segment which has been around forever. The other new car that Honda was referring to apart from the Mobilio is the Vezel. The Vezel falls in the Compact SUV segment, which is a new segment for Honda in the Indian market.
Old 12th January 2014, 20:29   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC View Post
Slight correction, the Jazz belongs to the hatchback segment which has been around forever. The other new car that Honda was referring to apart from the Mobilio is the Vezel. The Vezel falls in the Compact SUV segment, which is a new segment for Honda in the Indian market.
(OFF-TOPIC AGAIN)

My dear, the Vezel is not coming to India.

Refer to this here for confirmation of the same - http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...uv-368478.aspx

Quote:
“My impression is that the Vezel is a little expensive to fit into this vacuum. It has technologically advanced features and the localisation of these features would take much more effort and expense, making it difficult for us at this moment,” said Yoshiyuki Matsumoto, managing officer Asia and Oceania, explaining the challenges Honda will face in filling the void between the City and the CR-V with the Vezel.

As an example, he said, “The Vezel employs an electric handbrake that will take a lot more effort and investment to locally design and manufacture. Moreover, swapping this for a regular handbrake will involve a fair deal of redesign and engineering costs, and isn’t viable.”

Inside sources also revealed that the Vezel’s cockpit is quite expensive, making it difficult to price it competitively.
The only launches Honda Cars India has lined up for this year are the Mobilio MPV and the all-new Jazz/Fit.

The Brio-based SUV is still in the drawing-board stage so it will be a good two years at least before we see it in the flesh, which means sometime in or after 2016.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 12th January 2014 at 20:51.
Old 12th January 2014, 22:02   #37
DWC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
(OFF-TOPIC AGAIN)

My dear, the Vezel is not coming to India.

Refer to this here for confirmation of the same - http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...uv-368478.aspx

The only launches Honda Cars India has lined up for this year are the Mobilio MPV and the all-new Jazz/Fit.

The Brio-based SUV is still in the drawing-board stage so it will be a good two years at least before we see it in the flesh, which means sometime in or after 2016.
Thanks for clearing that up, the Vezel will be missed. However, I believe Honda said that they were bringing in two new cars in two new segments. I'm sure we can agree that the Jazz does not fit that bill.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the only other plausible segment is the mini SUV. Since the article has established that the Brio based mini SUV is due in or after 2016, we have to rule that out. Apparently, the Vezel isn't coming either, so i'm completely stumped.

So, the way I see it, there are three plausible explanations:
1. Honda is starting a new segment all together
2. The Brio based SUV will be ready in the next fiscal (highly unlikely), or
3. Honda was wrong in their initial statement that said, "Launch of two new models in new segments."

Would be great if someone could shed some light on 'the new model in the new segment'.
Old 13th January 2014, 00:16   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC View Post
Thanks for clearing that up, the Vezel will be missed. However, I believe Honda said that they were bringing in two new cars in two new segments. I'm sure we can agree that the Jazz does not fit that bill.
When Hironori Kanayama mentioned 2 new segments he meant new segments in which Honda is currently not present and they are MPV and Premium hatchback.

Hatchback as a category is very broad and hence can easily be segmented further. Honda Brio competes in a segment which has the likes of Figo, Grand i10, Liva etc. while Jazz will compete with the likes of Polo, Punto, i20, etc.
damager21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 00:34   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post

When Hironori Kanayama mentioned 2 new segments he meant new segments in which Honda is currently not present and they are MPV and Premium hatchback.

Hatchback as a category is very broad and hence can easily be segmented further. Honda Brio competes in a segment which has the likes of Figo, Grand i10, Liva etc. while Jazz will compete with the likes of Polo, Punto, i20, etc.
Correct. They do not plan to enter the suv market till they have the brio based suv ready. This may take a while. The jazz and mobilio is what we will get. Imagine if they had a normal looking car instead of the brio, what volumes that would have achieved.
Old 6th May 2014, 20:27   #40
Senior - BHPian

Re: NEW: Thread 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Honda @ the Tokyo Motor Show, 2013

2015 is also a major year for Honda, with some of their big-name products back to the market. We explore in detail below.

The S660 (Hybrid) will be born again from 2015:
Attachment 1171941
As promised an year ago, the S660 will be produced at the same factory at Yokkaichi ,that made the legendary car, almost couple of decades ago.

Source: http://www.worldcarfans.com/11405067...-2015---report
Old 2nd June 2014, 14:28   #41
BHPian

New Honda Jazz Hybrid or Swift/i20/Liva/Polo petrol/diesel ?!

Fossil Fuels are primary fuels for transportation. Pollution cannot be totally avoided.

Diesel is more polluting than petrol and diesel engine's exhaust fumes have been found to be Class 1 carcinogens. Yet, the demand for diesel powered cars here due to better fuel efficiency and lower cost compared to petrol is yet to abate fully.

Alternatives?

Lets face it, It's a long way off before electric cars (or any other ''greener" tech cars) become mainstream, this applies to India in particular.

Indian cities, with the kind of traffic conditions that exist, are ideal places to
have hybrid vehicles. The congested start-stop, slow moving traffic conditions are where hybrids provide better returns. But we are yet to see hybrid vehicles in the best-selling segment - hatchbacks.

The buying power of the average Indian has improved manifold. So this poll, Ladies and Gentlemen is to know if you would buy a hybrid car which comes at a slightly heavier price tag to do your bit for your pocket and the environment(?)

The example here is Honda Jazz Hybrid i-DCD since Honda will be releasing the new Jazz the coming year (while I don't think they are coming up with the Hybrid here) and the previous Jazz had great reviews and failed mainly due to the pricing. The new Jazz Hybrid's iDCD is more advanced tech than the previous gen IMA. It is 35% more fuel efficient. It is expected to be Honda's best-selling car ever in another couple of years. Details here:
http://world.honda.com/Fit-Jazz/hybrid/index.html
http://world.honda.com/news/2013/413...rid/index.html

Swift ZXi sells for INR 7.14 lakh
Swift Zdi sells for INR 8.44 lakh
Lets say the new Jazz hybrid will be priced at INR 10-10.5 lakh considering a INR 2-2.5 lakh premium over an estimated top-end Jazz petrol's INR 8 lakh and a 1-1.5 lakh premium over the estimated price of INR 9 lakh of the top-end Diesel Jazz.

Would you go in for a petrol powered Hybrid instead of a Diesel car or a top-end petrol-only car?
Old 2nd June 2014, 14:35   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: New Honda Jazz Hybrid or Swift/i20/Liva/Polo petrol/diesel ?!

Would go the with the Turbo charged Pterol engines and would definitely not go the Honda Jazz Hybrid i-DCD for the problems listed below,

Quote:
TOKYO, Japan, February 10, 2014 - Honda Motor Co., Ltd. today announced a voluntary recall of the all-new Fit Hybrid and Vezel Hybrid produced in Japan from July 2013 through February 2014 due to a problem with the software program controlling the 7-speed dual clutch transmission (DCT) which could cause a delay in the ability to begin driving or the inability to move at all. Honda today notified the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism of the recall with a total recall population of 81,353 units.
http://world.honda.com/news/2014/c14...rid/index.html
Old 2nd June 2014, 14:39   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDIS View Post
Diesel is more polluting than petrol and diesel engine's exhaust fumes have been found to be Class 1 carcinogens. Yet, the demand for diesel powered cars here due to better fuel efficiency and lower cost compared to petrol is yet to abate fully.
Not this again. Can you please quote your source of information for the above statement? As far as the euro specs are concerned it is very clear on what levels of each pollutant is possible for the car to be euro certified.

Yes, alternative energy sources should have more research and development and government should make a more congenial environment for its growth.
Old 2nd June 2014, 14:42   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Would go the with the Turbo charged Pterol engines and would definitely not go the Honda Jazz Hybrid i-DCD for the problems listed below,

http://world.honda.com/news/2014/c14...rid/index.html
One, lets assume this is a software issue that is fixed and there are no issues. Would you then opt for it?

Two, are Turbo-Charged petrol engines greener than hybrids for you to make that choice? Can you throw some light?
Old 2nd June 2014, 14:57   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Not this again. Can you please quote your source of information for the above statement? As far as the euro specs are concerned it is very clear on what levels of each pollutant is possible for the car to be euro certified.

Yes, alternative energy sources should have more research and development and government should make a more congenial environment for its growth.
I first read about it in the newspaper, and then on the net. Here are the ones I read:

http://www.iarc.fr/en/media-centre/p...fs/pr213_E.pdf

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2012/06june/P...arcinogen.aspx

Most Viewed