Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2014, 15:26   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Suzuki unveils A-Wind Concept (aka Celerio), an all-new hatchback in Thailand

More on AMT (Automated Manual Transmission)

Automated Manual Transmission (AMT, also called Freechoice) from Magneti Marelli is a electro-hydraulic mechanism for automating manual transmission which derives from Formula 1. It combines comfort of use with a reduction in consumption, and can be applied to any transmission, with production costs that are consequently lower compared to traditional automatic transmissions.

AMT is based on an electronic control unit and a hydraulic system that supervise the use of the clutch and the gear shifting, allowing the driver to change gear without using the clutch, either sequentially or fully automatically.

Suzuki unveils A-Wind Concept (aka Celerio), an all-new hatchback in Thailand-amt.jpg

The device from Magneti Marelli operates on the manual transmission of a car in the same way as the driver would: it opens and closes the clutch, engages and disengages the gears and, when necessary, it also controls the choice of transmission (automatic or sequential mode for changing gear). These three control movements are ensured by three specific hydraulic actuators, controlled by hydraulic electro-valves.

All the components in the hydraulic unit are gathered together in a single kit. It is delivered to the car manufacturer sealed and ready to be installed in the gearbox. Once assembled in the gearbox, the hydraulic kit mechanically interfaces with the gear drive shaft.

The heart and intelligence of the gear control system is the TCU (Transmission Control Unit). Taking into account the driver’s requirements and the operating conditions of the vehicle, it manages the gear changes by controlling the clutch, the gears and the engine.

Thanks to the electronic optimization of the gear change and the coupling with the engine control means the AMT is able to ensure less consumption than a car with manual transmission: lower consumption also means lower emissions, especially of CO2. In some of the best applications of the AMT on mass-production automobiles, a 5% reduction in fuel consumption was recorded compared to the automatic transmission version of the same automobiles, as well as a reduction in emissions equal to 5 g/km of CO2.

The latest generation of AMT is known as “mechatronic”, as for the first time, it combines the electronic control part and the hydraulic actuation part of the transmission in a single kit. This allows considerable improvements to performance, both in terms of speed and comfort when changing gear. This is the latest step in the evolution of a product which was first introduced to the car market with the Ferrari 355 F1 in July 1997. The product is still undergoing “sharp” growth in performance.

Source : http://www.magnetimarelli.com/excell...xcellences/amt

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 12:51   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Suzuki unveils A-Wind Concept (aka Celerio), an all-new hatchback in Thailand

Some more details on the Celerio.

Celerio, will be within the Rs.5.00 – Rs.6.00 lakh price bracket.

Maruti Suzuki Celerio - Important Details
ENGINE - 1.0-lt kNext engine
POWER - 68PS,
TORQUE - 90Nm Torque
WHEELBASE - 2425mm
Choice of Manual & AMT Transmissions
No DIESEL engine
PRICING - 5-6 Lakhs
VARIANTS - 3-4
AMT ( 5 speed) in base variants only

Celerio will not be as small as the A-Star with the wheelbase stretching to 2425mm (confirmed!) which is in the Maruti Suzuki Swift (2430mm) and the Hyundai Grand i10 (2425mm) range. Expect that car to be spacious on the inside. The source also claims that the Celerio is wider than the current A-Star/WagonR.

The source also claims that the Celerio gets a very modern MID for the driver never seen on any Maruti Suzuki vehicle yet. The MID will deliver info like lane change warnings, adjustable warning volume (door open/close etc), impact sensors and Bluetooth connectivity.

http://carsizzler.com/news-detail/00...confirmed.html
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 13:39   #48
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Some more details on the Celerio.

Celerio, will be within the Rs.5.00 – Rs.6.00 lakh price bracket.

Maruti Suzuki Celerio - Important Details
ENGINE - 1.0-lt kNext engine
POWER - 68PS,
TORQUE - 90Nm Torque
WHEELBASE - 2425mm
Choice of Manual & AMT Transmissions
No DIESEL engine
PRICING - 5-6 Lakhs
VARIANTS - 3-4
AMT ( 5 speed) in base variants
So the car is definitely larger (and certainly more spacious) than the A-Star and Estilo it is going to replace in India. It is only to be expected, since this is the Splash (Ritz) replacement in Europe. So it's natural competitor would be the Grand i10.

If it's a natural competitor to the Grand i10, then I don't understand the choice of engine. Why the 1.0 lit. 3-cyl. K10B, why not the 1.2 lit. 4-cyl. K12M to take on Hyundai's 1.2 lit. Kappa and the 1.2 lit. engines in other competing cars?

My guess is that Maruti Suzuki are trying to do an i10 with the Celerio. Initially launch it with a slightly smaller engine, and position it to replace the A-Star and Estilo. Then after a short while, discontinue the Ritz (which is getting a bit old now) at the end of its natural life cycle, and plonk in the 1.2 lit. K12M and the 1.3 DDiS. In this manner, it would span across two sub-segments while acting as a replacement for three existing hatchbacks in Maruti Suzuki's large portfolio. If this is their plan, then I must say that it makes a lot of sense!
Old 9th January 2014, 11:19   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki teases Celerio EZDrive with automated manual transmission, launch seem near!

Suzuki unveils A-Wind Concept (aka Celerio), an all-new hatchback in Thailand-marutisuzukicelerioezdrivetechnologyteaser1.jpg

Maruti Suzuki has begun teasing the Celerio hatchback, which will feature India’s first automated manual transmission (AMT) in the passenger car segment, and has named the AMT feature as EZDrive, choosing to highlight the manual clutch-less feature of the transmission.

Quote:
Maruti Suzuki has begun teasing the Celerio’s AMT under the EZDrive moniker. Without a manual clutch, driving in congested stop-go traffic conditions that Indian cities are notorious for, gets much easier. Also, the automated manual transmission unit is lighter than a conventional automatic gearbox, and more fuel efficient too.
http://www.cartoq.com/maruti-suzuki-...-transmission/

Last edited by volkman10 : 9th January 2014 at 11:20.
Old 11th January 2014, 20:35   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Undisguised Celerio caught by Motorbeam.

Suzuki unveils A-Wind Concept (aka Celerio), an all-new hatchback in Thailand-marutisuzukiceleriospiedfront.jpg

Suzuki unveils A-Wind Concept (aka Celerio), an all-new hatchback in Thailand-marutisuzukiceleriospiedrear.jpg

Quote:
The Maruti Celerio will also be offered with a new diesel engine that will be launched by the end of this year. It will be a 800cc, 2-cylinder unit.

Maruti Suzuki will launch the Celerio at the 2014 Auto Expo and deliveries are expected to commence soon after the launch. The expected on-road Mumbai price of the Maruti Celerio is in the range of Rs. 4.30 – 5.70 lakhs for the petrol variants
http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/maruti...sed-exclusive/
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2014, 20:44   #51
BHPian

Has anyone had a chance to preview the AMT system that Maruti has launched?
Old 13th January 2014, 17:35   #52
BHPian

I like the looks of the Celerio from the limited shots we have. It could be another big hit from Maruti if it really looks good and the pricing is right!
Old 13th January 2014, 17:49   #53
Senior - BHPian

Does the diesel support AMT ? The rear wiper looks ugly with its pivot point. Rear would look good without it.
Old 14th January 2014, 12:39   #54
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the Alto 800 took a steroid shot and changed to this. (At least from the rear 3 quarters)

Suzuki unveils A-Wind Concept (aka Celerio), an all-new hatchback in Thailand-1desktop2.jpg
parrys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 17:32   #55
BHPian

Can somebody please tell me what happened to MSIL? where have all the designers gone. Keeping my fingers crossed that competetion has not hijacked them. This is another ugly looking hatch after estilo/stingray/ritz/A-star. why can't we have some game changer type of stuff or at least something that has immediate appeal to the massess. Getting a feeling that MSIL is really running short of good designers. Keeping my fingers crossed hoping that we are not having designers from japan in the same way that maruti is importing Board members & senior management from Japan.

They are digging their own graves if they are doings so. One must understand that India is totally differnet in all parameters from entire world. All the Philips kotler theories do not work here.
Old 15th January 2014, 09:20   #56
BHPian

Personally, that new hatch is a looker! looks more masculine and beefy than the older versions like the A-star. The back hatch lid reminds us of the first gen swift. Definetly another inner for MSIL, if the prizing and positioning is correct
Old 15th January 2014, 10:43   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by su1978 View Post
Can somebody please tell me what happened to MSIL? where have all the designers gone. Keeping my fingers crossed that competetion has not hijacked them. This is another ugly looking hatch after estilo/stingray/ritz/A-star. why can't we have some game changer type of stuff or at least something that has immediate appeal to the massess.
While everyone is entitled to their views, I believe this car is a looker. I am sure many here would agree with me. If you look at the competition, you would have the newly launched Grand I10; which, from the rear looks nice but head on; you would think twice.

Estilo was a dud (I own one btw!), Stingray hasn't picked up; Ritz does about 4-5K units a month and A star is a failure. So, maruti is effectively replacing 2 duds and 1 slow seller (by Maruti Standards).
Old 15th January 2014, 11:21   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

The sweptback headlights, the chrome lines on the grill, the lines on the door and the chunky bumper makes the Celerio look a lot like the amaze (not surprising given the popularity of the amaze)
pic credits honda amaze : Official review thread
Suzuki unveils A-Wind Concept (aka Celerio), an all-new hatchback in Thailand-hondaamazesedan01.jpg
Suzuki unveils A-Wind Concept (aka Celerio), an all-new hatchback in Thailand-marutisuzukiceleriospiedfront.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
My guess is that Maruti Suzuki are trying to do an i10 with the Celerio. Initially launch it with a slightly smaller engine, and position it to replace the A-Star and Estilo. Then after a short while, discontinue the Ritz (which is getting a bit old now) at the end of its natural life cycle, and plonk in the 1.2 lit. K12M and the 1.3 DDiS. In this manner, it would span across two sub-segments while acting as a replacement for three existing hatchbacks in Maruti Suzuki's large portfolio. If this is their plan, then I must say that it makes a lot of sense!
+1 that. It makes total sense to enter the market with a 3 cyl K10B but MSIL needs to ensure that there is a decent price gap between the Celerio & Grand i10 for this strategy to work. Once they see some traction, they can always come out with a new and improved version with K12M.
On the diesel front i think MSIL will launch this with the 1.3 DDiS if they are seriously considering the Celerio as a Ritz replacement
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 11:35   #59
BHPian

I agree. This one is a looker.
However I wonder where exactly Maruti Suzuki is going to place it? Will it create a new segment?
They already have a 50K ladder concept all the way from Alto 800 to Swift diesel. You pay 50K more on any segment top end and get the base version of the next segment.
Does it fill the gap between Stingray and Ritz?
Old 15th January 2014, 12:11   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohh!Oxygen View Post
Does it fill the gap between Stingray and Ritz?
Currently Celerio will fill the void of Estilo and A star, with value added AMT tech they would expect to start a new market for cheaper 'Automatic' cars.
This platform will also replace RITZ at a later date when the diesel version is ready.

Cheers!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks