Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2006, 13:41   #1
BHPian

Location: Windsor, Canada... But still a Bombay-Boy at heart !!!
McLaren Viper ????

Oh God please I hope it turns out to be more than a rumour.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/sp...ren_viper.html

Still too early to confirm, but hey, who knows?! What are your thoughts? Will a McLaren Viper venture succeed??
Old 23rd June 2006, 14:12   #2
BHPian

i'm not a big fan of american cars,but this 1 looks mean.and thank god the power is upped to 650 horses.500 hp from a 8 liter engine was shameful.
Old 23rd June 2006, 14:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

This sounds really crazy.....but lets see.....
Old 23rd June 2006, 14:35   #4
Team-BHP Support

so the international scene is closley following the combinations on tbhp, not bad eh?

manson.
Old 23rd June 2006, 14:49   #5
BANNED

I always found the Viper to be too loserly...8 litre V10 and all you've got is 500 horses? Imagine what the Japs would extract from an engine of that displacement.
Old 23rd June 2006, 15:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson
so the international scene is closley following the combinations on tbhp, not bad eh?
Should I be or should I be ?

Anyway, the Viper is supposed give amazing gas mileage. Unlike your average 4 kmpl supercar, the Viper claimed to give 9 kmpl due to tall gearing and torque. So there's a tradeoff for the low(er) horsepower ratings, you see.

Or you can always go to Heffner or Hennessey and get some of them fans put on the intake, and voila, 4 figures on your bhp rating!

And, WOULD YOU LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THE HOOD?!
Old 23rd June 2006, 16:55   #7
BHPian

driven a normal viper(driven better UTE's in OZ)....hope this one is good.

Jap's go mad with the same displacement.....

BTW...The Mclaren "name" is to boost sales of a dead american muscle car!!!

Like i said..hope this one is any better!!!
Old 23rd June 2006, 17:25   #8
BANNED

Heh. That's pretty lame. Who buys an 8 litre V10 because it gives 9kmpl (except maybe in Mumbai)?

They should have gone all out and made it so that you don't get embarassed by cars with less than half the displacement.

Hope this car can claw back some izzat on the street.

Last edited by Boom Shiva : 23rd June 2006 at 17:28.
Old 23rd June 2006, 18:01   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva
Heh. That's pretty lame. Who buys an 8 litre V10 because it gives 9kmpl (except maybe in Mumbai)?
t.
i would love it if i got 9kmpl out of any performance car mate...

all i have to say is GOODLUCK!!!

plus a V10 redlining at 6500rpm....9 kmpl is the worst fake claim i have heard of in ages!!!

but anyways..its the feel people are after..not the milage.....interesting though...

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd June 2006 at 22:14.
Old 23rd June 2006, 19:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero
This sounds really crazy.....but lets see.....
They are tyring to keep up with the upcoming super vette(dont know what its going to be called, stingray/SS/Grand Sport) but that will be lighter than the Z06 so less than 3050lb and will be around 650 FI LS9. Viper has lost the game to vette after the lack luster performance against the Z06. lets hope they can compete more resonably with the super vette coming next year, but I doubt it, its a lost cause for viper, but i still love them cars, they look sooo mean..if i had my way i would have had an SRT-10 coupe/convert in my garage now next to the vette..

but they are too crude, way too crude..cant drive more than 50 miles in them..

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR
i would love it if i got 9kmpl out of any performance car mate...

all i have to say is GOODLUCK!!!
haah!! 30+ mpg on the highway in the Z06(remember the Z06 rapes anything below a CGT or a Enzo)

on a long 1000 mile drive i have seen the Z06 readout as 29.5, when it was pushed couple of times on the way...

in mixed driving about 20 mpg and only city about 15mpg(this is highway for the F430 which is quite sad and is what happens when u try and squeze)

anyhow its not that you cant get a performance car to get good mileage..

when i am driving my vette @ 60-70 mph i am cruizing @ 1200 rpm dude..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva
I always found the Viper to be too loserly...8 litre V10 and all you've got is 500 horses? Imagine what the Japs would extract from an engine of that displacement.
This is the lamest thing i would have heard, you think japs could make an NA engine do better??

even if they could which is doubtful, its not about how much you can squeze, this squeze theory is very ricer boy, trying to prove look i have X hp from .1 L engine..

hp/l means absolutely nothing in the car world..

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd June 2006 at 22:17.
Old 23rd June 2006, 21:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

Want the super 'vette to be called 'Blue Devil'?

More than 600 bhp.....its party time!!!
Old 23rd June 2006, 23:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

@Boom...If you want to make sure you're not "embarassed by cars with less than half the displacement", everyone would be driving around in Westfield, Caterhams, and Ariel Atoms. Some of us prefer a combination of looks and brutal power. No 10 second Civic will get you the same jaw-dropping stares down a street that one of these is capable of.

By the logic you espouse, everyone should be buying the AMG-tuned S Class, rather than the RR Phantom. It's faster and cheaper. But guess what, the RR still wins.

@R 32...I've never had the honour of driving a Viper. However, I assure you that the 9 kmpl, or 11.1l/100km figure, is widely quoted.

Last edited by v1p3r : 24th June 2006 at 00:04.
Old 23rd June 2006, 23:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

I know, thats what i was telling you..

I said if you are saying that viper is going to pack the punch and be cheap, i give you that Z06 looks as good, performs better and has many more ammenities than the viper, hence is far superior ride than the viper..but viper gets the upper hand in exclusivity thats it..

Viper is a dying phenomina because of the recent vettes...

I never said you should pick a Z06 instead of a ferrari, because they hold 2 different things, but when you are comparing them in only performance, forget the ferrari dude..

and as for the mpg, trust me man..i have driven viper for awhile, a tank full you get no where near the mpg as claimed(9 kmpl = 21mpg) plus if it was soo good, it wouldnt have the gas guzzler tax which the z06 avoids, only car in the world with 500+hp that voids it, actually vette is the only sports car with 2 variants both about 400hp and no gas guzzler tax..

Last edited by 1Day : 24th June 2006 at 00:15.
Old 24th June 2006, 03:15   #14
BHPian

Acc. to Car and Driver magazine, the 8.3 L V10 in the Viper manages only 505 HP due to the power transmission losses. In a Z06 while the losses are in the range of 3-5%, the Viper's power transmission loss to the rear wheels goes as high as 12-15%. Hence the poor power to displacement ratio. There are other factors as well, but this one's most prominent. The Viper also weighs more than the Z06 as we all know.
Old 24th June 2006, 03:26   #15
BHPian

Location: Windsor, Canada... But still a Bombay-Boy at heart !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri
In a Z06 while the losses are in the range of 3-5%, the Viper's power transmission loss to the rear wheels goes as high as 12-15%. Hence the poor power to displacement ratio.
spot on sujay. this is one of the reasons that the Corvette outperforms other cars, no matter how much BHP they have. This is something that the Viper really has to work on & also, reducing weight.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks