Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2013, 11:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Revealed! Fiat 500 5-door, the Punto's replacement

I don't understand the fascination with four eyes. Skoda has it. VW has it. Now, Fiat wants it!

To me it looks more or less like Jumba Jookiba. And who would want an alien face for their car?!

Image source: Google Images
Attached Thumbnails
Revealed! Fiat 500 5-door, the Punto's replacement-780260_1311268172089_full.jpg  

9thsphinx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2013, 15:39   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
The Grande Punto was the car that saved Fiat's ugly fate in Europe until late 2008, no? I agree the GP package looks very weak now compared to the very very hot supermini package (Clio RS200/ Fiesta RS/ Polo GTi) in Europe and the obvious dip in general automobile sales in Europe market has contributed to Fiat's decision to stop the GP. The expansion of the 500 brand should only help Fiat!
Yes, that’s right. The Grande Punto initially worked well for the Fiat brand in Europe, but the iterations over the years were not very compelling. Since the 500 branding is getting popular, it probably a good idea expand it to cover/replace some of the aging models. I read somewhere that the 500X is Fiat’s replacement for the Sedici (SX4 crossover).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Is this the final image? Two posts show two different images - Which one is correct? I like the first image, nice cute and worthy successor for Punto.
The first image from Avi’s post looks to be the real deal (more pictures are there in the Autoexpress link). What ecosport rules posted are the pictures of 500L MPV, which is already on sale in Europe.

Last edited by vb-saan : 31st December 2013 at 15:41.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2013, 18:29   #18
Senior - BHPian

That auto express's image is a CGI rendering and not the actual car.
Old 31st December 2013, 22:10   #19
BHPian

Re: Revealed! Fiat 500 5-door, the Punto's replacement

Since Fiat wants to be a niche brand and will be getting out of the 'high volume - lower margin' segment, it has to drop the Punto from it's portfolio. My guess is they will continue selling the Punto with a slightly refreshed design under their soon to be launched budget brand(like Datsun).
Old 31st December 2013, 23:34   #20
BHPian

With the Compact SUV rage highly prevalent in our country, where would this Cute boy stand? Our market's fascination with butch, snazzy and macho designs is well known. And, with the current state of Fiat in India, I highly doubt it's success here. I'd like to know one stand-out element in this car that would persuade Indians to buy this (Apart from it's 500 similarity! Anyways, majority don't even know of a car called Fiat 500 in India). Who knows, it may become a hit with females instead! I can already preconceive ladies exclaiming,"Oh! So cute!". I hope this improves state of Fiat in India as a car-maker! Rest, time will tell!

Keep revvin'
S@ndy

Last edited by S@ndy : 31st December 2013 at 23:37.
Old 31st December 2013, 23:48   #21
BHPian

I dont think this would ever be a replacement for Punto.

Fiat 500L is on sale in US for the almost last 1 year and the primary target is the set of people who would go for Wagons (Subaru Out back, Toyota Venza etc). Puno is supposed to be an enthusiast's car, which 500L is more viewed as a family hatch.
Old 8th May 2014, 20:48   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Fiat's 2016 Punto Replacement Could be Named 500 Plus and Made in Poland!

Revealed! Fiat 500 5-door, the Punto's replacement-fiatpunto5.jpg
Revealed! Fiat 500 5-door, the Punto's replacement-fiatpunto6.jpg
Revealed! Fiat 500 5-door, the Punto's replacement-fiatpunto9.jpg
Revealed! Fiat 500 5-door, the Punto's replacement-fiatpunto10.jpg

Quote:
Inside sources reveal that the replacement B-segment model could be named "500 Plus" and will be part of an extended Fiat 500 family, slotting between the 3,545mm three-door 500 hatchback and the 4,150mm 500L small minivan.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/05/fia...-could-be.html

Last edited by volkman10 : 8th May 2014 at 20:51.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 22:26   #23
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Fiat's 2016 Punto Replacement Could be Named 500 Plus and Made in Poland!
I don't find any differences, other than seat fabric and a different steering and a lining circling the centre console. And they called it the next gen. Damn!! they deserve to be dead.

And forgot, the naming on the boot seems to be different. Yeah.. they made a new version. Thank you fiat. Love to see you dead in Asia.

On a lighter note: Sergio has some big plans for US and Europe and they are planning to grow like hell. They are targeting 2 million cars by 2020, from the current 4 lakh odd cars. They have the worst plans for india at least.

Last edited by gemi_kk : 8th May 2014 at 22:29.
  (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 22:32   #24
Senior - BHPian

No, dear god, no! Punto is smashing as it is!

From two hot hatches, this final outcome is like an ugly brother of the Chevrolet Spark (first pic)!
Old 10th May 2014, 00:21   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
I don't find any differences, other than seat fabric and a different steering and a lining circling the centre console. And they called it the next gen. Damn!! they deserve to be dead.

And forgot, the naming on the boot seems to be different. Yeah.. they made a new version. Thank you fiat. Love to see you dead in Asia.

On a lighter note: Sergio has some big plans for US and Europe and they are planning to grow like hell. They are targeting 2 million cars by 2020, from the current 4 lakh odd cars. They have the worst plans for india at least.

The images volkman has posted, on which you are commenting, are of the current, to-be phased out European Punto.

The 500-styled 5-door replacement for the punto will look NOTHING like this.

Nor is the photoshop-ed effort at projecting what the new 500+ will look like, on pg1, worth the pixels it is using. In any case it is a while away: before that the beautiful 500X crossover will come to Europe later this year, alongwith the charismatic Jeep Renegade.

India is getting an Avventura-styled new Punto in june, with a version of the t-jet engine, hopefully. It will have the new Linea's superbly executed and designed interiors. BEST IN CLASS.

Avventura with 190/200 mm GC, big wide tyres, all-black interiors, claddings etc and projector headlamps launches in October. BEST IN CLASS.

India-made, juicily priced Abarth Punto T-jet (also 1.6 mjd?) in 2015. BEST IN CLASS.

Probably with dual-clutch gearboxes, which could also be deployed on the Linea and Punto?---- credible rumour from a spy! =BEST IN CLASS.

Jeep launches in early 2015. Grand Cherokee will be assembled in Ranjangaon: attractive prices. Wrangler will be CBU.

India-manufactured Jeep C-SUV with Fiat engines, available in 2016, at prices at or below the Fortuner. Obviously, no contest this: BEST IN CLASS.

A Fiat all-new launch in 2016. Either an all-new Linea OR a Fiat CUV version of the Jeep built in Ranjangaon.

All-new Punto, All-new Avventura+ new Grand Sienna budget sedan in 2017+

The plan sounds great to me, sober, sensible and committed too.

Where is there scope in this cut-throat market for any further adventures (avventura!)? Have you noticed how all companies except Suzuki, Mahindra and Hyundai are losing money, and/or seeing sagging/plummeting sales?
Old 10th May 2014, 00:54   #26
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
The 500-styled 5-door replacement for the punto will look NOTHING like this.

Nor is the photoshop-ed effort at projecting what the new 500+ will look like, on pg1, worth the pixels it is using. In any case it is a while away: before that the beautiful 500X crossover will come to Europe later this year, alongwith the charismatic Jeep Renegade.

India is getting an Avventura-styled new Punto in june, with a version of the t-jet engine, hopefully. It will have the new Linea's superbly executed and designed interiors. BEST IN CLASS.

Avventura with 190/200 mm GC, big wide tyres, all-black interiors, claddings etc and projector headlamps launches in October. BEST IN CLASS.

India-made, juicily priced Abarth Punto T-jet (also 1.6 mjd?) in 2015. BEST IN CLASS.

Probably with dual-clutch gearboxes, which could also be deployed on the Linea and Punto?---- credible rumour from a spy! =BEST IN CLASS.

Jeep launches in early 2015. Grand Cherokee will be assembled in Ranjangaon: attractive prices. Wrangler will be CBU.

India-manufactured Jeep C-SUV with Fiat engines, available in 2016, at prices at or below the Fortuner. Obviously, no contest this: BEST IN CLASS.

A Fiat all-new launch in 2016. Either an all-new Linea OR a Fiat CUV version of the Jeep built in Ranjangaon.
Well, i would say you are day dreaming.
They haven't done anything such in the past. Nor they will do in future. And none of their acts seem to be.

Loved to be proved wrong.

Old 10th May 2014, 02:43   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Well, i would say you are day dreaming.
They haven't done anything such in the past. Nor they will do in future. And none of their acts seem to be.

Loved to be proved wrong.
Watch what you say to me, buddy, I just bought the new Linea T-jet, and it is terrific!

Actually, except maybe for the bit about the twin-clutch gearboxes, it is all happening for sure, already starting withe new Linea I just bought, guaranteed!

Also, 120 new independent dealerships and ASS are here, with many more coming.

Now, whether you'll buy a Fiat when this stuff unfolds this year and next, that is the question!
Old 6th May 2015, 17:19   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

The next-gen Punto project has been codenamed "X6H" and will be made in Brazil. It is scheduled for an end-2016 launch, according to Autos Segredos.

It is speculated that FCA will drop the "Punto" nomenclature altogether.

Quote:
Well placed sources have told AutosSegredos that high-ranking FCA (Fiat Chrysler Automobiles) officials have given the go-ahead for an all-new premium compact hatchback, that will replace the aging Punto. The project is codenamed ‘X6H’, and early prototypes will start their durability tests in the weeks to come.

The Punto’s replacement will be based on an all-new platform, though finer details remain sketchy as of now.

Revealed! Fiat 500 5-door, the Punto's replacement-fiat_punto.jpg

SOURCE - Autos Segredos (via IAB)
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 19:11   #29
BHPian

Great! I hope it is a clean sheet design with truly an all new platform, instead of a re-hash of the GM-Fiat Small car platform (SCCS) which they have been modifying and using since 2005. According to Wikipedia, here is the list of cars based on the SCCS platform over the last 10 years:

Small:
2005- Fiat Grande Punto
2006-2014 Opel Corsa D
2007- Fiat Fiorino
2007- Sevel LAV
2008- Alfa Romeo MiTo
2012- Opel Adam
2014–present Opel Corsa E

Small LWB:
2006- Fiat Linea
2010- Opel Meriva B
2010- Fiat Doblò
2011- Opel Combo
2015- Ram ProMaster City

Small Wide LWB:
2012- Fiat 500L

Small Wide 4×4 (US)
2014- Jeep Renegade
2015- Fiat 500X

Last edited by vipul_singh : 6th May 2015 at 19:13.
vipul_singh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 13:59   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

The next-generation Fiat Punto will be manufactured in India and Fiat will be looking at exporting it to other markets as well. India and Turkey will be the two key plants were the vehicle would be manufactured and sold across the globe.

The new Punto and Linea might be renamed and they will lighter, faster, more spacious and efficient than the currently sold hatchback and sedan.

Quote:
The new Punto will be based on Fiat’s SCA (small car architecture) and will be sharing the platform with the new-generation Linea, 500X, 500L, new Fiat B-segment SUV and the Jeep Renegade. This is the new platform Fiat India has commenced work on. The R&D and design team in India was earlier about 30 people and now the strength is 700 employees, who are designing and developing this new platform and products. The team is directly co-ordinating with the Turkish centre to exchange ideas and develop the products simultaneously.
The Punto has been codenamed as X6H and the platform is called as X3U. The new Punto’s testing will commence in the second half of 2015 in Turkey and the Punto, Linea and the new B-segment SUV (Ecosport competition) will be launched in India in 2017.

Quote:
The Punto for India will continue to be powered by the 1.3-litre multijet but the Linea will get the 1.5-litre multijet that is being developed for the Indian car market. The other engines on offer will be the 1.4-litre FIRE and T-JETs
http://motoroctane.com/news/13103-ne...ndia-exclusive

Most Viewed