Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2006, 02:27   #16
BHPian

You guys should check out the specs of the 2007 Lexus GS hybrid. It is fuel efficient but in no way can be called slow. 340HP in a hybrid is mind blowing! It will change the way people see hybrids. So maybe the IC engines will phase out gradually, not powerful cars.
Old 1st July 2006, 09:27   #17
Senior - BHPian

Firstly, Toyota legend in this case refers to their bullet proof reliablity.

Quote:
But recalls are a part of every large carmaker...This has happened in the past with many other carmakers
I totally agree with that but I believe that the parameters for judgement have to be the same. When Mercedes, Audi, VW, Tata, Maruti or any other car maker has a quality problem or recall we start giving shradhanjali to them and talk about how "german engineering" is no longer how it was. But, when Toyota has a problem, we (we as in Indians in general) cooly say, it happens to every car maker.

Toyota has made it's name on reliablity and if they have a recall, we need to critise them too. And even Toyota knows how badly recalls can hit them, guess thats why they recalled their FJ Cruisers the way they did. Come to think about it, whether it's a Japanese, American, Canadian, British or Indian, everyone buys a Toyota because they know it will be reliable. I have yet to meet anyone who says I bought a Camry because it rides and handles well or I bought a Corolla because of it's smashing performance.

For sometime this thread went down the same Toyota/Honda v/s others or Japanese v/s non-japanese brands, but this thread wasn't supposed to be about Japanese and non-Japanese. And this thread is not about making fun or berating Toyota for the quality glitches. And Toyota hasn't had recalls because they are taking their customers for granted. Every car maker would love to be in Toyota's shoes at the moment but the frantic pace at which they are expanding is causing them these quality problems. Luckily for car buyers, Toyota higher up's are aware of the issues and that is good news. Unlike GM, Toyota will never take their customers for granted and I am sure they will retain their quality for many years to come.

Quote:
Leaf springs on a supercar - you bet they're falling behind.
Quote:
I tell ya these American cars are hollow.
A lot also depends on the car buying habits. North America is all about cheap and low prices. Most North Americans believe Size of car determines price of car. Also for most Americans, cars are mobile cafes. The yankees are delighted with 4 speed automatics, like it was some ultra modern gadget. Why is it tha Ford makes the Mondeo, Focus and the Focus ST in Europe but churns out ford five hundred and fusion in NA? Why is it that GM's Vauxhall makes the Vectra, Astra and even the Astra VXR but they dish out Malibu's and Impala's in North America. Honda sells the Euro Accord as the premium Acura here and the interiors of the Nissan Primera in Europe are in the Infiniti M in North America. In the case of the yankees, I have no pity on them. They deserve the crap they get here.
Old 24th July 2006, 17:29   #18
Senior - BHPian

Another spate of Toyota recalls, this time over 400,000 Echo's and Prius cars for faulty engine parts. This recall was made on July 18.

Quote:
Due to improper molding of the resin body of the crankshaft position sensor, engine oil may penetrate the seal and enter the connector. In the worst case, if the crankshaft position sensor becomes disconnected while the vehicle is being driven, the engine will stall and will be unable to restart.
This recall comes on the heels of a global recall of a million cars for faulty parts related to the steering wheel.

The article also has a slide show on most recalled cars of the year. Very interesting read.

Story here.

Last edited by amit : 24th July 2006 at 17:32.
Old 30th July 2006, 19:54   #19
Senior - BHPian

Toyota has recalled almost 10% of its vehicles plying on North American roads in 2005. The article is here.
But I would still like to believe that Toyotas are a pretty safe investment compared to their competitors. (Maybe except for a Honda). Even Nissan is currently falling.
Old 30th July 2006, 23:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

Toyota and Honda are as strong as ever.

Its just that Competition is catching up fast.

And Nissan sales are plumetting because their product portfolio is asking for new models which are still some months away.
Old 31st July 2006, 00:31   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even Nissan is currently falling.
Yea, Nissan has recalled over 200,000 Altima's and Sentras for a faulty engine part. The Altima's 2.5L cylinder engine has been having problems since June. The first recalls happened because the engine was using too much oil that caused fires to break out! In fact, sales were suspended in North America. There were 17 incidents of fires. Again on july 12 the same engine along with Sentra's engine had some sensor problems that resulted in stalling.

Full Story here.

Disappointing Nissan sales results.
Old 31st July 2006, 07:32   #22
Senior - BHPian

I am not talking about sales figures plummeting here, but the quality. The Nissan Titan and Pathfinder, both are known to have many problems(though much less than their German rivals)...and so does their midsize offering, Maxima, especially in the offerings from year 2000.
Old 31st July 2006, 08:49   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Now that is a legend, one that wont be challenged for a long long time maybe. A potential supercar which can be afforded by mortals.
Coming back to the topic, from what I see here in USofA, Toyota and Honda are the pillars of the middle class car dream
A first car is spelled as a corolla or a Civic, or if you land a higher paying first job its Accord or the camry.
These cars are supposed to run forever and ever without any trouble. Such reliability has come to be expected of these 2 companies.
People say "I wont buy an american cars, they are BS, I will either go for a Jap"
Jap means by default T and H, and little of that effect rubs on the Nissan/Mitsu etc.,(Though their ownership has gone to others).
Now in comes Hyundai, a korean company which makes cars for losers. Their accent is a joke, and you want an accent if you are a pizza delivery boy.
But things are changing. Their are rumors that pizza delivery van does not give quality problems. And some pizza delivery vans come with hot engines which can last forever and ever and they cost less.
So the California Techie is switching over.
The GMs and Chryslers have lost the battle and the war, and this pizza delivery van maker has sneaked up to these guys.
And when such news is accompanied by hundreds of recalls, a legend is shaken.
GM okay, Ford okay they never ever knew how to make cars, but Toyota or Honda?
Once this legend starts to die, it will kill their golden goose, the corolla/camry combo. Its very very difficult to bring back trust. Look what happened to the Detroit gang, even Americans are buying Jap cars now.
Hey thats unfair to say GM and ford did nothing for the automotive Industry. The problem is not with the company , its with the top level Managers who fail to understand the market and who are not willing to change whats their in mindset. During the post WW II age they could have stopped Japs infilteration into the automotive market had they understood people's preferance for a lighter car . In no it ways means that they are ignorant at manufacturing cars ,its rather they are failing to respond quickly to market trends/pulse which was exactly what Japs are good at not to mention reliability.
For example right now in India Chevrolet SRV , do you think its gonna do well ? Now imagine if it had released the car with a 2.2 lit Crdi unit for around 8.5 lakhs that would have made more sense and badging the car as a hot hatch ? I think a palio will kick its a** even with a rookie driver .After the recent inflation of petrol prices lower middle class family who do opt for 5-8 lacs car is no longer prefering thristy petrol cars (except for a few petrol buffs across the country)

Last edited by maxbhp : 31st July 2006 at 08:51.
Old 14th November 2022, 20:04   #24
BHPian

Re: Is the Toyota legend falling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Another spate of Toyota recalls, this time over 400,000 Echo's and Prius cars for faulty engine parts. This recall was made on July 18.
Looks like a Pandora's box of issues has opened up for Toyota. Now their much hyped EV bZ4X has been recalled and the funny part is that the recall has been called because the wheels of the cars may come loose while driving. Here is the link describing the issue.
Now I've come across several recall notices but this issue left me blank for a moment. Looks like even the Gods of reliability can bleed and that too very bad. I hope R+ blood is in ample supply with Toyota to bring it back on its feet hail and hearty.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks