Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2014, 10:36   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Caught abroad: Volkswagen Polo with minor facelift

The Volkswagen Polo facelift has been spotted and snapped by the guys at WorldCarFans.

Caught abroad: Volkswagen Polo with minor facelift-104286219230007673.jpg

Caught abroad: Volkswagen Polo with minor facelift-6420774051768379629.jpg

Caught abroad: Volkswagen Polo with minor facelift-2014volkswagenpolofacelift3.jpg

Quote:
Set to debut alter this year, the updated model has been equipped with a sportier front bumper and a revised grille.

Interior changes are limited but include a new steering wheel, an updated infotainment system and revised switchgear.

There's also revised trim and a sport button that suggests the model is equipped with adjustable dampers.

Engine options will likely include the usual suspects but previous reports have indicated there could be a new 1.0-liter TSI that has outputs ranging from 60 HP (44 kW) to 90 HP (66 kW).

The facelifted Polo is expected to debut at the Geneva Motor Show.
SOURCE (and more spy pics) - http://www.worldcarfans.com/11401236...ed-inside--out
RavenAvi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 11:03   #2
BHPian

re: Caught abroad: Volkswagen Polo with minor facelift

I do not understand what were the guys at VW design department thinking when they had planned this kind of facelift. One cannot figure out the change expect the bumper grill unless specifically told about the changes. It may not get noticed in the Indian market. Many will think it to be a case of design modification done by the neighborhood accessory shop.

They should have come up with some more interesting design theme. It looks that they have thought on these lines only after seeing every manufacturer giving timely facelift to existing fleet. Therefore, the fear of being left behind prompted them to come with such a miniscule facelift.

Ideally, this should not even qualify to be termed as a facelift.
mints21 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 11:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
I do not understand what were the guys at VW design department thinking when they had planned this kind of facelift. One cannot figure out the change expect the bumper grill unless specifically told about the changes.

Ideally, this should not even qualify to be termed as a facelift.
The same applies to most of the recent face lifts by BMW. One has to really have a keen sense or compare it with pictures of the outgoing model to actually see what has really been changed.

But, I think, the point here is not to fix the product, as they are actually pretty contemporary already and thus the Manufacturers just want to make sure that their car is now on the radar of the Press and people are talking about them, which is exactly what we are doing!

But I am with you here, a facelift really needs to show a change that would interest buyers, like for example, the Hyundai i10's face lift.
aravind.anand is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 11:55   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
The same applies to most of the recent face lifts by BMW. One has to really have a keen sense or compare it with pictures of the outgoing model to actually see what has really been changed.
I like it this way. The facelifts with minimum visual updates helps the initial owners in a big way, that their cars does not look outdated throughout the 5-7 years of existence (of that generation model).
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 17:14   #5
BHPian

Re: Caught abroad: Volkswagen Polo with minor facelift

What's with the roof? is half the roof transparent?
I think the Interior tone that is on the Indian polo looks better, but the features in the facelift look like they'd make the car worth its price.
Old 24th January 2014, 17:43   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

*Rubbing eyes trying to spot the differences*

Hats off to the photographer for even bothering to shoot this Polo. If it was parked in my lane for a week, I'd not have noticed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
The facelifts with minimum visual updates helps the initial owners in a big way, that their cars does not look outdated throughout the 5-7 years of existence (of that generation model).
A facelift's purpose isn't to appease existing owners of the car. Rather, it's to bring new ones in, who wouldn't otherwise consider the existing model because it's too old

A facelift is pointless if if doesn't refresh the car, or fails to make it look any different.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 18:12   #7
BHPian

I second GTO. I don't see any any noticeable changes except the roof.
More over, Why should I pay any extra price if I don't find any major changes visually? - Just a plane Jane's thought process.

Hope the 'Indian'ised version has its ground clearence incresed from the current levels atleast in this one.
Maverick79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 21:35   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post
Hope the 'Indian'ised version has its ground clearence incresed from the current levels atleast in this one.
The current version on sale here has a 'raised' setup. Details with photo comparision can be found in the official team-bhp review.
Daewood is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 22:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hi all, As per IAB reports Volkswagen is considering a new Polo and the relaunch of Beetle in India this year.

Volkswagen is currently testing a cosmetically upgraded Polo in Europe that would debut this year at one of the major international motorshows (citing foreign media reports). The design of the new Polo is inspired by the new design VW brought to the Frankfurt Motor Show last year on the Golf Sportsvan.
Caught abroad: Volkswagen Polo with minor facelift-vwpololimitededitonsideview1024x768.jpg

Volkswagen does differentiate the Polo in India using cost-down parts. The headlamps, grille, rear bumper, tires and taillights are designed for India, where the car costs about 60% the price of the European spec. So there is a chance that the European facelift may have loose or no connection to the Indian program. The Indian Polo turns four next month.

Meanwhile on the other end of the product line, the VW Beetle was launched as a CBU with a petrol engine in December 2009 Though it found few takers despite a hefty discount at the end of its lifecycle, Volkswagen is taking another shot at the premium hatchback segment, perhaps after seeing the maturity India showed towards the A-Class. Showcased at the earlier Auto Expo, it's predicted that a diesel engine is being primed for its relaunch.
Caught abroad: Volkswagen Polo with minor facelift-mg_77251024x682.jpg

The diesel engine could either be a dialed-up version of the 1.6L motor used on the Vento (as a Bluemotion variant), or the Jetta’s 2.0-liter motor matched to the 7-speed DSG transmission.

Thanks

AD

Here is a Pic of the facelifted VW Polo for 2014.

Caught abroad: Volkswagen Polo with minor facelift-2014vwpolo_faceliftpics1.jpg

Thanks

AD

Source: www.motoroids.com/volkswagen-2/volkswagen-polo-volkswagen-2

Last edited by mobike008 : 25th January 2014 at 09:22. Reason: Merging posts. Please refrain
Old 24th January 2014, 22:05   #10
BHPian

I wonder if they will facelift the Vento as well, if they bring this one to India at all. That is going to be sad, because I bought one in June and will have an outdated model in less than a year! (i hate it, happened with my Jetta too)
Old 24th January 2014, 22:57   #11
BHPian

Differences I noted compared to the outgoing model:

1. Polo GTI inspired rear bumper with reflectors, diffusers and a visible single exhaust tip
2. Refreshed front bumper grille with possibly new fog lamps (?inbuilt DRLs)
3. Refreshed headlight cluster design
4. Minutely different taillight cluster
5. Golf MK7 steering wheel

The "half -black" roof is not a cosmetic change, instead the optional panoramic sunroof offered on the Polo models abroad.
himanshu_j is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 23:39   #12
BHPian

Re: VW POLO and Beetle Facelift coming soon

This Polo facelift is nothing but a small tweak here and there. It is a mere eyewash with complete resemblance to the existing car. Thie facelift has already been bashed up by the members today. Refer to this thread and you will have a fair idea how worst this facelift is.

Link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...-facelift.html

Beetle is of course a news to me, but given the pricing, it will not have many takers. Moreover, with the Beetles, that I have seen on the roads I am unable to make out as to how this facelift differs from the already existing car. (If you can spot then you may assume that I have no knowledge on Beetle and I would be more than happy to admit).

Diesel or Petol, Beetle will have limited buyers and this kind of facelift may hardly get them buyers.

Seriously VW needs a good advisor to teach them the basics of facelifts in the current automotive scenario.

Last edited by mints21 : 24th January 2014 at 23:41.
mints21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 23:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

here is a uncovered pic. find a change

Name:  ForumRunner_20140124_234711.png
Views: 2705
Size:  257.5 KB
Attached Images

tushky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2014, 01:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW POLO and Beetle Facelift coming soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
here is a uncovered pic. find a change

Attachment 1196052
Simple cosmetic surgery has been done, the front bumper and the grill.

I like the way OEMs these days continue with the same profile of the vehicle and just about bring in the small changes, or refreshed look. That helps in carrying on with the existing shape till there is quite a drop in the sales or demand increases for a fresh new shape or model.

CJ Jeep, 911, Beetle etc are the classic shapes which have not changed over the years...they have evolved.

VW Golf is another vehicles which has evolved over the years and not changed much of its vehicle identity, the thick C pillar!

Polo has the ever lasting shape and it will not go out of fashion soon unlike korean cars!
Parm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th January 2014, 13:44   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A facelift's purpose isn't to appease existing owners of the car. Rather, it's to bring new ones in, who wouldn't otherwise consider the existing model because it's too old

A facelift is pointless if if doesn't refresh the car, or fails to make it look any different.
Agreed, but in a car like Polo, where the design and looks are quite relevant even after close to 5 years of existence, why to make radical changes in the overall looks, that too as a part of mid-life facelift. VW especially have got it so right with the timeless designs of their hatchbacks that even across generations, visual updates are kept to the minimum (e.g.; Gold MK5 to Mk7).
I believe manufacturers play it safe when tinkering with the designs of popular models. Another popular example of this thought process is the Suzuki Swift (not much visual changes between current and previous generations).

But yes, what you said will really work for some models. For example, for a flop model (in India) like the Ford Fiesta could benefit from an extensive facelift.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks