Team-BHP - Hyundai to launch luxury sedan "Genesis" in Europe EDIT: Mulls Indian launch as well
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   Hyundai to launch luxury sedan "Genesis" in Europe EDIT: Mulls Indian launch as well (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/147849-hyundai-launch-luxury-sedan-genesis-europe-edit-mulls-indian-launch-well.html)

A recent report in Economic times has indicated that South Korean Auto maker Hyundai Motor has decided to place its luxury sedan "Genesis" in Europe the home turf of Audi, BMW Mercedes.

The above three car makers are the pride of German export machine and dominate the high end car business of Europe.

The dominance of these three manufactures in their turf is so strong that the Toyota Lexus had a mere 0.2% of car sales in EU last year.

Link to the news item:

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Defau...rue&Skin=ETNEW

Talk about taking the fight to the big guns in their home territory!

This is a parallel in a sense, of what Toyota did in America in the late 70's and 80's.

I wonder though, if Hyundai will be able to make it there in the Prestige/ Bridge to Luxury Segment because they are very well known for value for money and features everywhere they exist.

It is not at all an easy task for a brand to transcend all the associated baggage and move up the value chain in this manner.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shankar.balan (Post 3367866)

This is a parallel in a sense, of what Toyota did in America in the late 70's and 80's.

I wonder though, if Hyundai will be able to make it there in the Prestige/ Bridge to Luxury Segment because they are very well known for value for money and features everywhere they exist.

It is not at all an easy task for a brand to transcend all the associated baggage and move up the value chain in this manner.

Waste of time in my humble opinion. If Lexus couldn't make the cut, its next to impossible for Hyundai. Lexus as a luxury brand is far more credible than Hyundai and is also one of the most reliable.

Hi all, Here are a few technical and external styling details about Hyundai Genesis.
Hyundai to launch luxury sedan "Genesis" in Europe EDIT: Mulls Indian launch as well-dt_detroit_2015_hyundai_genesis_02970x646c.jpg
As we all can see that from the outside, this budget-friendly premium sedan looks assertive with its over sized, shield-shaped grille and LED daytime running lights. Its rear is raked back more dramatically than past models to its full-LED taillights, keeping in more in tune with Hyundai’s “Fluidic Motion” design language.

Inside, the Genesis remains a little sedate in taste, but the design is handsome and straightforward. There’s even the option for open-pore wood, something that we’ve come to really love in the current lineup of Audi sedans. Hyundai also claims to include high-quality materials throughout the cabin, and the feature list is extensive, ranging from heated and ventilated seats to a heated steering wheel and high-grade leather.
Hyundai to launch luxury sedan "Genesis" in Europe EDIT: Mulls Indian launch as well-dt_detroit_2015_hyundai_genesis_01970x646c.jpg
The Genesis’ new platform is far more rigid than the BMW 5 Series due to the use of high-tensile steel. In addition to improving the vehicle’s handling dynamics, the new platform also makes room an all-new all-wheel drive drive-train. The suspension has also been upgraded for V8-powered models for better traction during the drives.

Under the hood, the base engine is Hyundai’s 311-horsepower 3.8-liter V6, but buyers can opt for the 420-hp 5.0-liter V8 if they’re looking for a car that can run with the BMW 550i or Mercedes-Benz E550.
Hyundai to launch luxury sedan "Genesis" in Europe EDIT: Mulls Indian launch as well-2015hyundaigenesis7.jpg
The 2015 Hyundai Genesis will also include a long list of available driver safety systems, including automatic emergency braking, lane departure warnings, radar cruise control, blind spot detection, and several others that you’d expect to see on a more expensive vehicle. There’s even a mobile app available for Genesis owners that will allow them to keep tabs on their car when they’re on the go.

Thanks

AD

Source: http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/hy...-trembling/#/2

Quote:

Originally Posted by shankar.balan (Post 3367866)

Agree with the analogy. However, I think the larger problem for Hyundai is that the US and European operations have evolved separately, keeping in mind the individual markets. The US is a crucial market for Hyundai cars such as the Sonata, Elantra, Accent, Genesis and Equus. Europe has been about the Atos, i10, i20 and i30. Introducing a model from one operation to the other is not easy. For example, the Sonata and Santa Fe do very well in the US but fail in Europe.

The Genesis is reasonably successful in the USA, its primary market after South Korea. In fact, the 2014 Hyundai Genesis has been ranked 4 out of 14 Luxury Large Cars by USA News (http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...undai_Genesis/). But IMHO it will follow the fate of the Sonata and Santa Fe in Europe! But kudos to Hyundai for trying.

To stand out in a crowd, you need to be a looker!

The big guns from EU have a long list of smart and sexy sedans that beg more than just a glance. Hyundai, no doubt, with its new fluidic design language has certainly made itself more visible, but does the Genesis really stand out? To some it may, to the most it won't.

For the sheer gadgets that come loaded on the Genesis, it will sell, but otherwise it doesn't stand a chance against the homeboys!

I'd started a thread a few months back about Genesis and its future concepts, introducing Genesis in U.S and Europe (beginning with Germany) was Hyundai's plan as far as a year ago. Reason being this car was tested in Nürburgring, and designed by a team comprising entirely of German designers from BMW/Audi. The head of European design is from BMW and the chief designer from Audi. The concepts designer of European division is a Frenchman who has experience in designing supercars. This company, in its own words is no less European than its rivals.

Another advantage Hyundai has is their own steel plant which supplies all the required raw materials to their factory and upon metallurgical inspection, it was found that their grade of steel was higher in quality than some home-grown Euro brands. These are advantages that Lexus never had. Lets not forget that Hyundai in U.S is now rated most reliable followed by Toyota.

It's a well informed opinion of mine that Genesis can go head to head, and easily beat Audi/Mercedes very soon if not already. Audi is most overrated (fact-based opinion) as most parts/platform are taken from VW cars. Mercedes I do respect for their vast innovations/focus on safety and for being one of the 2 companies that revolutionised cars. The other company that did the same has no rivals, its in a league of its own. Known for sheer driving pleasure & build quality like no other - BMW. As a result the 1/3/5 series have won every possible comparision world-wide. Hyundai though deserves a little credit for being the fastest growing car company ever (combined with Kia) and all their big cars have got rave reviews in US/UK which is not easy.

A news item appearing on the autocarindia has hinted at Hyundai Motors plans to launch Genesis in India as well. The success of this car will always remain a question mark given the fate of Sonata and Santa FE that has been seen in India.

Here is a link to the news item.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ia-381850.aspx

Hyundai bring the genesis coupe to India! There is no good coupe in the price range, it may not sell a lot but it will surely be worth the investment.

The Grill on The Genesis is simply terrible. Doesn't suit the overall styling of the car that is great.
Who will buy an expensive Genesis in India ? I would never choose a Hyundai over the Germans. I don't care if the Genesis offers 7 Series features at the price of a 5 Series.

This is just a brand building exercise with no hope of selling decent numbers IMHO.

Saw this on Facebook! Seems pretty close to reality!! Brilliant ad and safety feature too (as long as it works!!! lol:)

Enjoy - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=250876758438810

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinair (Post 3470686)
Saw this on Facebook! Seems pretty close to reality!! Brilliant ad and safety feature too (as long as it works!!! lol:)

Enjoy - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=250876758438810

The lane tracking, emergency auto braking etc are used in other vehicles also and I suppose they work too. It is not for India anyway, so no worry. I did not understand the sarcasm in your post (as long as it works) Why? Because it's a Hyundai?

That's a fabulous way to showcase those features! clap:

The Genesis is a brilliant car, which has only got better in its second generation. And it has aced the most stringent crash safety test in the world (IIHS), too! It's just the kind of car we need in India, to shake up the near triopoly in the premium segments. I know, the badge snobs would hate it, but that's the entire point.

The more the badge snobs hate something (be it any product, not only a car), the better it truly is. Or the other way round, actually. It kind of makes sense too. They would hate a product more vehemently only when it proves that the badge they so crave is nothing special, and simply not worth the "badge tax" they so willingly dished out. :uncontrol

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSR (Post 3470713)
The more the badge snobs hate something (be it any product, not only a car), the better it truly is. Or the other way round, actually. It kind of makes sense too. They would hate a product more vehemently only when it proves that the badge they so crave is nothing special, and simply not worth the "badge tax" they so willingly dished out.

Exactly the point. Genesis was a brilliant car when it came out and with each iteration, it seems to get better. But many people will try to belittle technology, if it does not come from Japanese or European manufacturers. Actually, I love this ad. Brilliantly choreographed :)

The Hyundai Genesis in America has gotten fairly good word of mouth ever since its release in the US. With the steering and suspension set up by Lotus engineers, rear wheel drive & electro-hydraulic steering, this is the company's first honest effort at a great driving car.

Safety has also played an important part in the flagship as can be seen in the video to follow :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPTIXldrq3Q

All these were possible because of 3 technologies working with each other, i.e adaptive cruise control, radar+camera monitored braking and lane keeping assist. None of these technologies are new and have been available in the premium models of Volvo & Mercedes for sometime now. However the Hyundai costs upto 20-25% lower than comparable models of luxury brands. Add to this 9 airbags, high tensile full steel monocoque chassis and you have a safe cabin as well. Of course to keep down costs there is no aluminium so its heavier than some luxury brands of the same length.

Hyundai always incorporates maximum technology even in lower end models and this may be their first step of breaking out of the stereotype of Asian carmakers as they hope to play 2nd fiddle to the pure luxury brands and that is one huge step. The door shut sounds quite sweet to me.