Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you want your vehicle to be V2V Communication enabled?
Forget it! I don't want my vehicle to waste time and energy talking to another vehicle! 4 3.54%
Oh yes! Anything that improves safety while driving is welcome. 69 61.06%
Maybe. Let's wait and watch what happens once the system is introduced. 42 37.17%
I am scared that someone will hack into the system and intentionally cause accidents. 11 9.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2014, 19:54   #16

Re: Vehicle-To-Vehicle (V2V) Communication in USA by 2017

V2V is a "co-operative" communication technology that uses WiFi to communicate with other vehicles. It follows the 802.11p standard (Very similar to 802.11b but more specifically designed for vehicles and broadcast communication).

Basic idea is that all cars will keep transmitting a Hello message (x,y,z co-ordinates) every 200ms. Of course, other cars in the 600m receiving radius can read these messages and determine if a car is in its blind spot, whether another car is going to collide etc etc. The technology is aimed at driver awareness and not driver control. So a HMI device in front of the user will only display a message, V2V will no way affect the driving itself.

Of course since pedestrians or animals do not have a WiFi radio with them when they walk, V2V cannot do anything about these.

The communication is secured so anyone who is just broadcasting messages will obviously not be let in to do damage into the system. Of course, there is always another possibility that your GPS devices or other car ECU's that monitor the car system may themself malfunction and start broadcasting incorrect information. Substantial logic has to be and will be built in to screen this information out and prevent such incorrect information from affecting the impact of V2V.
Skanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 00:09   #17
BHPian

Only scared how many parameters this system will have to deal with while in place in Bangalore? No way on earth the Autowalla's are going to have this system in them and we might see all vehicles giving them the go ahead.. (Its automatic as i understand)
Old 21st February 2014, 09:22   #18
BHPian

We live in times where we are constantly surrounded by electromagnetic radiation of some kind or the other all the time - whether at home or outside. While this technology will surely improve the safety of the vehicles and passengers, I am worried about the extra radiation that everyone will be subject to because of this constant message/data exchange between the devices. While it's difficult to quantify the damage caused by such radiations and the effects will be felt in mid to long term, we are slowly but surely exposing ourselves to more and more radiation. While technological advancements are good and improve the quality/safety of life, a lot of them cause not-so-obvious collateral damage as well and I for one am surely wary of them.

P.S. - Since I don't find any of the voting options talking about this aspect, not able to vote.

Last edited by s_a_u_r_a_b_h : 21st February 2014 at 09:25.
s_a_u_r_a_b_h is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 09:31   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_a_u_r_a_b_h View Post
...I am worried about the extra radiation...
Now that is an interesting angle of looking at it.

But would it be any worse than the radiation emitted by a laptop connected to wi-fi? Experts in this domain please advise.
Old 21st February 2014, 10:07   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Now that is an interesting angle of looking at it.

But would it be any worse than the radiation emitted by a laptop connected to wi-fi? Experts in this domain please advise.
More information of what radiations types are, refer this.

Indeed its an interesting thing to note. We are currently anyway exposed to cell phone radiation and there have been instances of harm it has caused in certain situations. The V2V communication has to be definitely working on different wavelength altogether. We may think this to be a concern in the extremely crowded areas but then even today we have much harmful cell phones in such areas and we still continue to use them. FCC ruling is to use cell phones an inch away from your body while talking and that is considered "safe". Definitely the car receiver and transponders for V2V will be far away from cabin and should not be a huge concern anyway.

Again when you have all these small amounts of radiations coming together to form collective impact on our health, the effect still cannot be outweighed by the benefits you get from V2V communication.

An interesting story - read this - it points at colony collapse disorder among the insects/ bees category and if they get affected, definitely we will get affected at much smaller rate.
Old 21st February 2014, 10:53   #21
BHPian

Autonomous vehicles are probably the only thing that might bring order to our chaotic Indian roads. If V2V is a step in that direction, I'm all for it!
Old 21st February 2014, 21:15   #22

V2V is not autonomous. V2V is driver aid and not driver replacement.

Autonomous vehicles will use V2V along with many other technologies to bring about driverless-driving. V2V can be thought of as a poor man's RADAR/LIDER technology.
Old 25th February 2014, 10:58   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
We are currently anyway exposed to cell phone radiation and there have been instances of harm it has caused in certain situations.
And hence my worry. We are augmenting existing radiation levels. As if mobile signals, Wi-Fi , many other electronic gizmos/sensors emitting radiation was not enough, we are subjecting ourselves to one more.

Quote:
The V2V communication has to be definitely working on different wavelength altogether.
It will surely work on a different bandwidth but the question is whether that will be harmful or not and I guess the answer most likely is yes.

Quote:
We may think this to be a concern in the extremely crowded areas but then even today we have much harmful cell phones in such areas and we still continue to use them. FCC ruling is to use cell phones an inch away from your body while talking and that is considered "safe". Definitely the car receiver and transponders for V2V will be far away from cabin and should not be a huge concern anyway.
That will also depend on the SAR like value. And again, if we are already using harmful cell phones, shouldn't we be more cautious in use of technology if it proves to be doing more harm?

Quote:
Again when you have all these small amounts of radiations coming together to form collective impact on our health, the effect still cannot be outweighed by the benefits you get from V2V communication.
I politely disagree here. Technology which does its own collateral damage , albeit in a softer fashion, in attempt to solve a problem needs to be viewed differently. I may be sounding paranoid but the sheer thought of being constantly surrounded by increasing levels of harmful radiation scares me.
Old 25th February 2014, 12:16   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_a_u_r_a_b_h View Post
That will also depend on the SAR like value. And again, if we are already using harmful cell phones, shouldn't we be more cautious in use of technology if it proves to be doing more harm?
Definitely yes. It shall increase the level of radiation overall so there is a cause to worry, especially for the super crowded areas/ infant exposure.

The authorities must also take necessary steps to ensure that overall levels of collective radiations don't cross permissible levels. In country like India, it would be too difficult and not sure if every manufacturer will even opt for it. I mean we still don't have basic airbags and ABS mandated so cant expect the V&V to become mainstream in at least another 10 years or so!
Old 26th December 2016, 14:14   #25
BHPian

new Technology to end traffic Jams

V2V - vehicle to vehicle communications enables cars to transmit their locations, speed, direction and other information ten times per second. That lets cars detect, for example, when another vehicle is about to run a red light, is braking hard, changing lanes or coming around a blind turn in time for a driver or automated safety systems to prevent a crash.

This technology could reduce the severity of collisions up to 80 % - it is claimed.

As of now many car manufacturers are waiting for the US Government requirement before jumping on board with this technology. But Cadillac and Merc E class sedans might incorporate this soon.

Briefly the technology uses 5.9 Ghz frequency similar to Wifi and has a typical range of 1000 yards.

The full article is here: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...t-regulations/
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks