Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2014, 15:31   #1
BHPian

Father's gift to his son: Driveable Shelby Cobra toy car

When I first came to know of this story, it reminded me of a general caption which is seen many a times on the rear windscreen of a few cars "Dad's Gift" in some parts of North India.

But after seeing this I realised, this particular gift is far more precious than the one that is bought from the market and labelled with such captions. The actual gift does not require a label, it speaks for itself. Moreover, I have not been able to spot such a label on this gift that I am discussing here.

Moreover, it further reminded me of my days as a teenager, how tough was a job to convince dad to buy me my favourite two wheeler and then a car.

Ernesto Freitas an active independent Portuguese designer and an engineer who has designed creations like the LusoMotors LM23 and Ferrari Dino prototype has created a unique car for his child and has named it as Shelby Cobra roadster toy car.

The car comes with a 7HP strong 50cc petrol engine with an electric starter.

Ernesto Freitas wants to place this Cobra into a small series production with either a battery or a gasoline fuelled motor at a whooping cost of USD 21,900.

The car was built from scratch by Ernesto Freitas where everything from investigation , design and assembly was done after his office working hours or on weekends. It consumed 1600 hours of his work to come up with this car.

All the details of the car were designed and 3D modelled before starting the process. This allowed him to source the correct parts and to decide the way the car design could go.

Specifications of the car:

The car is built on a tubular chassis, has independent suspension at all four wheels, rear wheel drive, front mounted 7hp 50cc petrol engine with electric starter. The body shell is made of fibre glass.

It is more than three meters long, 1.3 meters wide and weighs around 250kg. The top speed of the car is 25 miles/hr.

Can we all assume how happy Ernesto's would have been after getting such an original, wonderful and specially crafted gift from his father.

Here are a couple of pictures:

Father's gift to his son: Driveable Shelby Cobra toy car-pic-1.jpg

Father's gift to his son: Driveable Shelby Cobra toy car-scaletoycobra29.jpg

Father's gift to his son: Driveable Shelby Cobra toy car-scaletoycobra38.jpg

Father's gift to his son: Driveable Shelby Cobra toy car-scaletoycobra49.jpg

Father's gift to his son: Driveable Shelby Cobra toy car-scaletoycobra59.jpg

Father's gift to his son: Driveable Shelby Cobra toy car-scaletoycobra68.jpg

Father's gift to his son: Driveable Shelby Cobra toy car-scaletoycobra79.jpg

Father's gift to his son: Driveable Shelby Cobra toy car-scaletoycobra89.jpg

Father's gift to his son: Driveable Shelby Cobra toy car-scaletoycobra99.jpg

Father's gift to his son: Driveable Shelby Cobra toy car-scaletoycobra108.jpg

Father's gift to his son: Driveable Shelby Cobra toy car-scaletoycobra118.jpg

Father's gift to his son: Driveable Shelby Cobra toy car-scaletoycobra128.jpg

Father's gift to his son: Driveable Shelby Cobra toy car-scaletoycobra138.jpg

Father's gift to his son: Driveable Shelby Cobra toy car-scaletoycobra148.jpg

Father's gift to his son: Driveable Shelby Cobra toy car-scaletoycobra158.jpg

Name:  Scale-Toy-Cobra-16[8].bmp
Views: 3612
Size:  792.2 KB

Father's gift to his son: Driveable Shelby Cobra toy car-scaletoycobra178.jpg

Source: http://www.carscoops.com/2014/02/dad...cobra-toy.html

Last edited by mints21 : 24th February 2014 at 15:33.
mints21 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 12:52   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Father's gift to his son: Driveable Shelby Cobra toy car

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the International Scene. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 13:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Wow ! That is so sweet of the father. Really lucky kid there.

I have been roaming around in toy stores, here in Bangalore to get more idea about the drivable 4 wheelers for kids. My kid is 9 months and I guess by 1.5 years he would be ready to drive. Range in these baby stores, starts from Rs.10,000 and goes upto Rs. 40,000 !!

But something handcrafted by parents like this Shelby Cobra is so so emotional.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 17:11   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post

Range in these baby stores, starts from Rs.10,000 and goes upto Rs. 40,000 !!
I agree.

For the best in electric ride-on cars, check snapdeal.com - They are 40% cheaper than Bangalore stores. Will order one soon for my 1 yr old son.

I so much wish I could build something like this when he grows up!
pahwa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 22:32   #5
BHPian

Quote:

I have been roaming around in toy stores, here in Bangalore to get more idea about the drivable 4 wheelers for kids. My kid is 9 months and I guess by 1.5 years he would be ready to drive. Range in these baby stores, starts from Rs.10,000 and goes upto Rs. 40,000 !!

But something handcrafted by parents like this Shelby Cobra is so so emotional.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
I agree.

For the best in electric ride-on cars, check snapdeal.com - They are 40% cheaper than Bangalore stores. Will order one soon for my 1 yr old son.

I so much wish I could build something like this when he grows up!
Soumyajit, you reminded me of the old memories and the time when I bought a first electric car for my three year old son in 2007. The car was extensively driven by him within our society complex and he would love to drive. He was so passionate about the car that he would not even wait for it to get charged. The lady of the house would do whatever she could to convince him, but he would not relent.

I bought the car for Rs.8500/- in 2007.

Here are a couple of pictures of my son driving his electric car in the year 2007:

Father's gift to his son: Driveable Shelby Cobra toy car-photo-1.jpg

Father's gift to his son: Driveable Shelby Cobra toy car-photo-2.jpg

With growing age the old toys take a backseat and new things come into your life. These days are Casio days.

Here is the latest picture clicked just now:

Father's gift to his son: Driveable Shelby Cobra toy car-photo-3.jpg

My son does not fit into his car anymore. I tried hard to convince him for this very shot.

Father's gift to his son: Driveable Shelby Cobra toy car-photo-6.jpg

Today the car is hardly in use. Many parents have approached us with offers asking us if we are interested in selling it as they see that my child has grown up and we may not need it. My answer is "NO".

This was the first car I bought for my son when he was just three years old, I will always retain this car as this reminds me of those lovely & precious moments we had spent around seven years back. BTW, I got my first independent car at the age of 27 years.

This is how the car looks now, some damage to the rear view mirror and its tiny wind screen.

Father's gift to his son: Driveable Shelby Cobra toy car-photo-5.jpg

Thanks to you Soumyajit, Pahwa and Team-Bhp for taking me back to those good old lovely days. We lived each and every moment of it and continue to do so. I had never thought that a day would come I will be writing about this. Had I sold this car, I would not have been in a position to share these current pictures on this thread and remember the old time.

I read somewhere: "Make your present so beautiful that it becomes a wonderful memory of the past". I love to live by this mantra.

Best Wishes

Last edited by mints21 : 25th February 2014 at 22:47.
mints21 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 07:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
I read somewhere: "Make your present so beautiful that it becomes a wonderful memory of the past". I love to live by this mantra.
Bang On ! That's precisely - Life.

It so interesting to see that the pattern of growth of children has not changed.
Cars - Casio (other musical instruments) - Song - Dance - Cricket - Cycle - Bike (may have missed some common stuffs).

It so nice to see your son as a todler sitting in that car, and he is so grown up now !! Keep clicking pictures and save them.
I still have the harmonium that I used, to learn to sing songs on.

Sometimes my family laugh at me when I keep clicking random pictures of my family members. I say, these are treasures. Somewhere in the long run one would have a very happy moment seeing old times.

I remember that my parents had around 100 pictures of me, when I was born. Those days (80s') Camera was expensive and more so were the rolls and processing charges. But when they see them now, it brings so much joy on their face.
I have around 3000+ pics of my son, in the last 9 months. When we see his new born pics and current pics we are filled with so much joy and awe, its unbelievable.

My wife keeps getting angry on me, because I never let go of things that are precious, even though its broken. I am so much like my father.

My parents had preserved a 30 year old Sweater set (sweater, pants, cap, gloves and socks) that they had first bought for me when I was a kid. When my son was born, they gifted me that set for my son. I cried that day.
I made my son wear those and it fits him so well. I have clicked some pics of me and my son in the same sweater set. Will post the pics when I go back home today.

These small things that we pass by today, are infact our most precious treausures.

Ok, I think I went too much emotionally OT !!
Soumyajit9 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 09:51   #7
BHPian

Quote:
It so interesting to see that the pattern of growth of children has not changed.
Cars - Casio (other musical instruments) - Song - Dance - Cricket - Cycle - Bike (may have missed some common stuffs).
Yes, I agree. Times have changed but the interests still remain almost like ours. The car of my son has taken a back seat for now and his cycle is his new interest.

Quote:
My wife keeps getting angry on me, because I never let go of things that are precious, even though its broken. I am so much like my father.

My parents had preserved a 30 year old Sweater set (sweater, pants, cap, gloves and socks) that they had first bought for me when I was a kid. When my son was born, they gifted me that set for my son. I cried that day.
I made my son wear those and it fits him so well. I have clicked some pics of me and my son in the same sweater set. Will post the pics when I go back home today.
I am anxiously waiting to see those pictures.
Old 27th February 2014, 00:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am anxiously waiting to see those pictures.
So, here I am, 30 years back - Dec 1983, in the Blue Sweater.

Father's gift to his son: Driveable Shelby Cobra toy car-430624_10150708862396858_296002605_n.jpg

And here is my son, Dec 2013, in the same Blue Sweater.

Father's gift to his son: Driveable Shelby Cobra toy car-20131213_224837.jpg

Well, the 2013 pic is a digital image, hence the bright blue shade.
The 1983 pic was shot with the standard camera available in 1983, so a bit tinted !
Soumyajit9 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 09:51   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Well, the 2013 pic is a digital image, hence the bright blue shade.
The 1983 pic was shot with the standard camera available in 1983, so a bit tinted !
Amazing pictures, except for the sweater colour shade which is primarily because of the difference in the cameras then and now, I am unable to figure out any difference between the two todlers. Your son is a true replica of you. Father and son are completely like each other. Your looks 30 years back can be seen in your son today.

I am thinking how happy would be the grandparents seeing such a lovely resemblance.

God Bless you all.

Best Wishes
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 10:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Amazing pictures, except for the sweater colour shade which is primarily because of the difference in the cameras then and now, I am unable to figure out any difference between the two todlers. Your son is a true replica of you. Father and son are completely like each other. Your looks 30 years back can be seen in your son today.
I am thinking how happy would be the grandparents seeing such a lovely resemblance.
Heeheehee. Thanks !! Everyone says so !! Infact he has started saying "Baba" first.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks