Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2014, 08:25   #1
BHPian

50th Anniversary of the Pontiac GTO

The Pontiac GTO turns 50 this year. Well not actually cause its not made anymore and that's heartbreaking.

Nevertheless its one my favorite old school muscle cars and speedhunters has this article that gives an overview of the car and its history.

Happy birthday Ponty GTO and may you rest in peace.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/04/muscle-car-born/
Bookkeeper is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2014, 20:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: 50th Anniversary of the Pontiac GTO

The Judge GTO. My favorite muscle car too. Seen one in Chennai in mint condition. Alas behind a high gate.
The '69 model was my favorite.
I think Pontiac still makes the GTO?? new version of course.
Old 6th April 2014, 00:47   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I think Pontiac still makes the GTO?? new version of course.
Sorry to disappoint you sir but it doesn't. Pontiac has not made a single automobile since 2010 when it was officially put to rest by GM.

So no more GTOs, Firebirds and G8s.
Old 6th April 2014, 14:53   #4
BHPian

My encounter with Pontiac, sadly not GTO.

When I was in Bahrain I used to see a car laden in dust and dirt (more dirtier than my current car). I used to see it in the morning while I go to work, I used to see it when I came back from work, I used to see it each and every time I pass by. It looked sporty and being sporty I liked it.

I was in Bahrain for a year or just sometime more than that. I think it's the 8th month and one day when I walked out I saw the owner with a huge broom cleaning the Engine bay and wiping off the dirt from the car with the broom. It had several layer of dust on it. I just stood back, watched him do the same for couple of mins. I then walked away to the store, where I had intended to go.

When I was walking back, I saw him pour fuel from a small storage tank which could kind of accommodate 20 litres of fuel. Again I didn't want him to feel suspicious, so I walked to my building. As I was climbing the stairs I heard a high toned VROOM VROOM. I stopped right there and ran back to the spot. The guy was warming the engine. I swear the noise was mind blowing. Unfortunately I didn't have a drivers license or else I would asked the guy for a shot on his car.

That was a 1999 model Pontiac Firebird Trans AM I believe. If I am right it has a 5.7 litre V8 which has a killer Engine sound.

Attaching couple of pics of the dirty car that I used to see. Sorry, I don't have the cars clean pics. Never had a chance to see the Pontiac GTO though.

50th Anniversary of the Pontiac GTO-20130302-16.45.35.jpg

50th Anniversary of the Pontiac GTO-20130302-16.45.50.jpg

50th Anniversary of the Pontiac GTO-20130302-16.45.26.jpg

I have posted this pics earlier also in a thread which was about Trans AM.

Cheers
voyageur is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed