Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2014, 10:40   #1
Team-BHP Support

Mark Fields to succeed Alan Mulally as Ford Motor Co. CEO

Alan Mulallay, President and CEO of the second largest of America's "Big Three" automakers, Ford Motor Company is set to retire on July 1 after a stint that has lasted for almost eight years. Mark Fields has been named as his successor.

Mulally joined Ford in September 2006, succeeding William Clay Ford Jr., who remained the Executive Chairman of the company. Mulally's appointment came at a time when the global economy was struggling, as a result of which, the American auto industry was on its knees. However, decisions taken by him ensured that Ford did not become bankrupt like its fellow competitors General Motors and Chrysler. Mulally also presided over the sale of British brands Jaguar and Land Rover to Tata Motors.

Prior to joining Ford, Alan Mullay was working with Boeing. He has a Master of Science degree in aeronautical and astronautical engineering. Additionally, he holds a Master's degree in Management. Mulally is also a private pilot.

Mark Fields, the man who replaces Alan Mulally, has been Ford's COO since December 2012.Prior to being appointed COO, he has served as the executive vice president and president, The Americas since 2005. He has also headed Mazda and been Chairman of Ford's Premier Automotive Group, which included Jaguar, Land Rover, Aston Martin, Volvo and Lincoln.

Mark Fields to succeed Alan Mulally as Ford Motor Co. CEO-alan3.jpeg

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd May 2014 at 16:15.
Aditya is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2014, 12:40   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Mark Fields to succeed Alan Mulally as Ford Motor Co. CEO

Alan Mulally deserves a standing ovation for the magic he created at Ford. From all the CEOs that I've read about, he is most definitely on top of the list...far ahead of my earlier favourite, Lee Iacocca. Alan is the indisputable business legend of current time.

The additional lines of financing helped, but his decision to avoid bankruptcy courts (at a time when GM & Chrysler did) and bringing back focus on the core brand greatly strengthened Ford.

Mark Fields has huge shoes to fill. But as Alan said, he's got nothing left to teach him.

Someone who met him told me "An ever-smiling face and a pleasing personality. But beneath that chirpy smile lies the most ferocious, task-oriented, intelligent boss you've ever worked for".
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2014, 12:49   #3
Team-BHP Support

If you guys ever get a chance, do watch the documentary on how Allan Mulally spearheaded the iconic Boeing 777 project.
moralfibre is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2014, 23:15   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Alan Mulally deserves a standing ovation for the magic he created at Ford. From all the CEOs that I've read about, he is most definitely on top of the list...far ahead of my earlier favourite, Lee Iacocca. Alan is the indisputable business legend of current time.

The additional lines of financing helped, but his decision to avoid bankruptcy courts (at a time when GM & Chrysler did) and bringing back focus on the core brand greatly strengthened Ford.

Mark Fields has huge shoes to fill. But as Alan said, he's got nothing left to teach him.

Someone who met him told me "An ever-smiling face and a pleasing personality. But beneath that chirpy smile lies the most ferocious, task-oriented, intelligent boss you've ever worked for".
Absolutely agree with you. He saved Ford period.

Still remember back in 2008 at Ford world HQ in Dearborn, I was standing and admiring a new Ford Explorer Hybrid in the Lobby when I suddenly sensed someone standing behind me. Turned around and it was Allan Mullaly and Bill Ford !!. He gave me a big smile and quipped "good looking car isn't it?" and I nodded yes !!.
chennai-indian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 04:42   #5
Team-BHP Support

Mark Fields played a big role in helping Ford North America do better before Mulally arrived and then was a key player in implementing Mulally's turnaround plan.

He wanted to be the CEO of Ford when Bill Ford was considering stepping down and was pretty disappointed when he was passed over. On Mulally's appointment, Ford apparently told Fields, "this is the guy who will make you CEO".

From the looks of it, he has been a key team member in Mulally's scheme of things; hope he takes Ford further!
libranof1987 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 10:01   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mark Fields to succeed Alan Mulally as Ford Motor Co. CEO

Ford is firing CEO Mark Fields, naming former Steelcase chief Jim Hackett to take over.

Quote:
Fields had been under pressure for the company’s lagging stock price and lower-than-expected profits so far this year. Shareholders and board members reportedly questioned Fields’ strategy for the future of the company, which relies on heavy investments in driverless and electric vehicle technology. Since Fields took over as CEO from Alan Mullally in July 2014, Ford’s stock price has fallen nearly 40 percent.
Quote:
Forbes also reported that Ray Day, Ford’s head of communications, was also fired and would be replaced by Mark Truby, who currently heads Ford’s Asia Pacific communications. James Farley, president of Ford’s Europe, Middle East and Africa business, and Joseph Hinrichs, head of Ford North America, will take on larger roles
LINK
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks