Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2014, 11:37   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Next-generation Skoda Fabia caught testing

First spyshots of the 2015 Skoda Fabia, courtesy AutoEvolution. Looks similar to the outgoing generation, except for the rear which hints at an all-new styling.

The 2015 Fabia is expected to be powered by turbocharged engines, and come with a bunch of features to appeal to the youth.

Expect the 2015 Fabia to be launched in India in the second half of next year.

Next-generation Skoda Fabia caught testing-allnew2014skodafabiafirstphotosofthirdgenerationmodel_7.jpg

Next-generation Skoda Fabia caught testing-allnew2014skodafabiafirstphotosofthirdgenerationmodel_1.jpg

Next-generation Skoda Fabia caught testing-allnew2014skodafabiafirstphotosofthirdgenerationmodel_4.jpg

Next-generation Skoda Fabia caught testing-allnew2014skodafabiafirstphotosofthirdgenerationmodel_6.jpg

Next-generation Skoda Fabia caught testing-allnew2014skodafabiafirstphotosofthirdgenerationmodel_15.jpg

Next-generation Skoda Fabia caught testing-allnew2014skodafabiafirstphotosofthirdgenerationmodel_19.jpg

MORE PICTURES - http://www.autoevolution.com/news-g-...el/206039.html
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 22:37   #2
BANNED

New Skoda Fabia Undergoing Testing

Skoda India had discontinued the Fabia sometime back and there have been some rumours about reintroducing the newer version of the car once the newer version is launched.

Well, the newer version is out and is undergoing testing at the Nürburgring track. The new Fabia is expected to make its world debut at the Paris motor show in October this year.

The new Fabia is expected to get a large and wide front grille, seen on newer Skoda models such as the Rapid sold in international markets and the new Octavia.

This is the first offering from the Volkswagen Group to sit on the new shortened version of the MQB platform which is called MQB-A.
Some of the group’s other offerings such as the next-generation Volkswagen Polo are also expected to be based on the new platform.

The new Skoda Fabia is expected to be both longer and wider than the current model, implying more room on the inside. Luggage carrying capacity is also expected to be improved.

According to Skoda boss Winfried Vahland, the Fabia will have more features like in-car connectivity to give it more youthful appeal.

Skoda will power the new Fabia globally with MQB-compatible engines from VW Group’s pool such as the 1.2-litre and 1.4-litre TSI petrols and a range of diesel engines as well. The 1.0-litre three-cylinder motor that does duty in the VW Up could also be used in this car.

Source: ACI
Attached Thumbnails
Next-generation Skoda Fabia caught testing-0_468_700_httpi.haymarket.net.auextraimages20140521030437_fabia1.jpg  

Next-generation Skoda Fabia caught testing-0_468_700_httpi.haymarket.net.auextraimages20140521030600_fabia2.jpg  

Next-generation Skoda Fabia caught testing-0_468_700_httpi.haymarket.net.auextraimages20140521030551_fabia3.jpg  

Last edited by VeyronSuperSprt : 21st May 2014 at 23:01.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 23:36   #3
BHPian

New Skoda Fabia Undergoing Testing

This is a nice scoop and would be a logical addition to the Skoda portfolio in India too maybe later in 2014 or early 2015. Additional luggage and passenger space would be welcome and this car has the potential to be a winner in its segment if Skoda get their pricing and after sales service correct (in India).

I am wondering though at the logic of masking this test car with the psychedelic sticker job and leaving the signature grille unmasked. Who would not be be able to identify this test car as a Skoda Fabia :-) ?

Last edited by Rajeev1 : 21st May 2014 at 23:37.
Rajeev1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 07:07   #4
BHPian

re: Next-generation Skoda Fabia caught testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeev1 View Post
I am wondering though at the logic of masking this test car with the psychedelic sticker job and leaving the signature grille unmasked. Who would not be be able to identify this test car as a Skoda Fabia :-) ?
True but, they would have left it open for the air to be used for engine intake and cooling purposes. Experts can pitch in with more details related to airflow and the likes

- Shivang Gandotra

Last edited by MetalBuff : 22nd May 2014 at 07:08.
Old 22nd May 2014, 09:21   #5
Team-BHP Support

re: Next-generation Skoda Fabia caught testing

Looks like Skoda has gone in for a rather evolutionary design. Although the new front end looks promising and sharp, it looks rather boring from the sides and the rear IMO.

Fabia originally had a tough time against Hyundai i20. We have another interesting battle all set with both the entrants coming in once again next year.
Old 22nd May 2014, 13:14   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Next-generation Skoda Fabia caught testing

About time I say! The outgoing Fabia made its international debut in '07. By the time this next-gen car comes around, it's going to be 8 years for a replacement. That is a lifetime in the auto industry.

Skoda will definitely not botch the pricing up this time. However, it'll be interesting to see if they retain the Fabia name (Fabia brand = flop in India). Also, will the new car have the topnotch interiors of the ol' Fabia? The MQB platform focuses on economy (compare Octavia to Jetta or Laura).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeev1 View Post
leaving the signature grille unmasked. Who would not be be able to identify this test car as a Skoda Fabia :-) ?
Probably a PR decision to generate buzz.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 19:51   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Presenting the all New Fabia almost undisguised!

Next-generation Skoda Fabia caught testing-allnew2014skodafabiaspottedalmostundisguised_1.jpg

Next-generation Skoda Fabia caught testing-allnew2014skodafabiaspottedalmostundisguised_6.jpg

Quote:
Predictably, the design is quite similar to the Rapid compact. A large and quite simple grille design is flanked by big headlights. They're actually much bigger than the photos would let you believe, since camouflage is obstructing the lower part. The wing mirrors, meanwhile, look almost identical to those of a VW Polo and so do the door handles. Drum brakes are still used because they're cheaper to make and service.
Quote:
Rather than use the new MQB platform, Skoda has decided to stick with the old architecture and make a new body. This is, again due to cost reasons.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/al...sed-81861.html
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 20:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Presenting the all New Fabia almost undisguised!
Really very ugly! With passage of time the design department at Skoda Auto has lost it's flair of designing a hatchback. A small comparison I would like to do here with regards to old and new generation Skoda Fabia:

The old one

Next-generation Skoda Fabia caught testing-1305651527_skodafabia.jpg

If we look at this design, the lines appear to be much neater and the curves look well designed. The headlamps are well designed and overall the shape comes out pretty neat. It might have lost out on the sales part due to competition but if the new Fabia is launched it will be a dud on the basis of design.

Now, The new Fabia.

Next-generation Skoda Fabia caught testing-skodafabia2014.jpg

I have erased the quarter glass pic because in the test-model that looks very different. So, comparing the front profile of this one to the old one I feel Skoda gave the designing opportunity to the R&D department of VW for this one because it appears clearly that the headlamps look to be inspired from VW Polo. Then the front grill is sliced off which makes the hood line come down so low and ultimately it's ruining the overall appeal of the car.

A small yet significant similarity in the new Fabia and the VW Polo is the rear quarter glass that has been inspired from Polo. The only noticeable difference is the width of the quarter glass.

Next-generation Skoda Fabia caught testing-skodafabia4rear.jpg

If we all may refer to the rear lamps of the this test model and compare it to VW Polo, then we can see how much similar do both of them look even if we remove the film from the lamps. The only difference as I see is the extensions on the boot.

Hence, I want to know what is that exclusive thing that will appeal to the eyes of the future consumer base of this car ?

I have just compared the outer appearance and have knowledge about the technical upgrades done to this new Fabia.

Thanks

Pic credit: https://www.google.co.in/search?q=sk...=isch&imgdii=_
Old 29th May 2014, 20:48   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Hence, I want to know what is that exclusive thing that will appeal to the eyes of the future consumer base of this car ?
The new Fabia is similar in length to today’s 4m-long model, but it adopts a longer wheelbase and a small increase in width which is set to improve cabin space and load capacity.
Major on features like connectivity, to give it a more youthful appeal.

More in the Autocar lnik.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...d-paris-reveal
Old 29th May 2014, 21:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Major on features like connectivity, to give it a more youthful appeal.

More in the Autocar lnik.
Quote:
After checking both the links I feel that Fabia without a vRS will be a looser. So what if the present Fabia vRS lost out. Who has stopped Skoda from presenting a refined and well designed model once again ?

I saw the 1st link earlier too and was surprised to know that it's engines are carried from the VW hatchbacks. As a ordinary purchaser if I get a duplicated Polo in the name of Fabia (with regards to engines and to a great extent the looks) then what's the fun of having a "SKODA" ?

I don't know about the pricing but in this segment if it is accordingly priced even then will the customers who patronize the Polo will shift their focus to it's sibling ?

Second thing, Why the people in Skoda are banking upon a Polo inspired design ? They can surely do a better job themselves as we have seen with regards to Laura, Octavia and Superb in the past.

Thanks.

Last edited by ad3952n : 29th May 2014 at 21:35.
Old 30th May 2014, 15:49   #11
Team-BHP Support

The all-new Skoda Fabia has been spotted once again. This time with very little camouflage.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Old 1st June 2014, 01:11   #12

Can't help but think, even if it's slight, this car gives a 'vibe' of our very own Verito Vibe. And I think, it's not a very good sign for a not-so-successful product such as Fabia. They should have gone for something more edgy, dare I say. With 'this', I think we are seeing a possible 'dud Skoda of the future'.
But strange things happen in our market.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 1st June 2014 at 21:53.
Old 1st June 2014, 22:47   #13
BHPian

Skoda lacks a sense of originality.
Most of its parts are VW sourced. Now the design cues also.
I wonder if Skoda would have allowed its styling to be done by the VW people. Would VW ever try and beat VW styling on a Skoda?
Also, I dont see a reason why VW and Skoda want to play the same game in the Indian market.
Yes VW might be a premium brand, but Skoda is no cheap either.

The best way forward for them both would be to play in slightly different segments. Skoda needs something to go against Ford and Maruti
Old 6th June 2014, 12:46   #14
BHPian

I was hoping to trade my existing Fab for the next gen car, if ever launched in India. But for some reason the test mule doesn't appeal to me. Will keep some distance if this is how the car is going to look. The car under testing in the first set of pictures doesn't look any different in profile when compared to the current gen. This merely looks to be a facelift, rather than a complete redesign. Was hoping to see Skoda come up with something similar to what they did with the Octavia or the European Rapid.

P.S: Doesn't really matter what platform the car is based on, if it doesn't appeal to the prospective customers.
Old 4th July 2014, 08:27   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

New Gen Fabia spied testing in Alps at high altitude.

Next-generation Skoda Fabia caught testing-allnewskodafabiaundergoingtestinginthealps_1.jpg
Next-generation Skoda Fabia caught testing-allnewskodafabiaundergoingtestinginthealps_5.jpg
Next-generation Skoda Fabia caught testing-allnewskodafabiaundergoingtestinginthealps_8.jpg

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/al...lps-83397.html
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks