Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2014, 10:51   #16
BHPian

Re: No more patents from Tesla - "All our patents belong to you"

A bit off track but which Mod changed the original title of "All our patents are belong to you" ?

That was pun intended by Tesla.
It originated from the legacy single shooter games that were originally Japanese, but bad translation resulted in the English version of "All your base are belong to us"

You can look up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_you...e_belong_to_us
Fillmore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2014, 10:57   #17
BHPian

Yes @ Fillmore, I must admit to grinning like a nerd when I read the announcement on the Tesla site. Cheers to Elon Musk for what tesla's doing.
Old 14th June 2014, 14:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure if Patents are such a huge issue in automobiles and have not seen companies using them against anyone.

Maybe its not such a big deal after all since all companies have either tied up with each other or have their own development.
Old 14th June 2014, 21:46   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
....hopefully, this move by Tesla will save millions of lives through reduced pollution. I believe that it is more environment-friendly and efficient to produce electricity from 1 litre of diesel at a dedicated plant and then use that electricity to run the car, than directly run the car with 1 litre of diesel. But that's a different topic for a different (already-existing) thread.
Could you point me towards the (already-existing) thread. ..couldn't locate it.

Sorry for the trouble

Cheers !
Old 14th June 2014, 23:40   #20
BHPian

Conspiracy Theory, anyone?

Though I'm not a big believer of conspiracy theories, I have a hunch that Tesla has a breakthrough innovation in electric mobility up their sleeves, which I suspect they have near perfected.

Here's a hypothetical scenario...............

After the lifting of patent infringements, the other auto makers lap up Tesla's existing 'cutting edge research' perfected over so many years, and plonk their precious millions on it - setting up production lines, spending on advertising and supply chains, effectively bringing to a grinding halt whatever innovative research they might have been doing off their own steam.

Tesla, on the other hand (without the competition knowing - industrial espionage can only do so much !) perfects their breakthrough innovation (600 miles on a single charge, anyone ? ), patents it, and revolutionises the electric mobility market !

So, what's the endgame?
  1. Everyone lines up to buy Tesla's uber cool looking (we've got to give them that !), ultra long range, powerful, cheap to run and maintain electric cars.
  2. The other automakers scratch their collective heads in unison, wondering as to what to do with all the development they have done (read - invested millions) in building capacities to build electric cars based on Tesla's now 'old' tech.
  3. And, more importantly, pay Tesla billions in royalty to adopt their new and 'revolutionary' technology, and conform to the changing times or go the way of the dinosaurs !

It's all economics, stupid !

Just an (irrational) thought ....

Cheers !
Old 16th June 2014, 09:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

Re: Conspiracy Theory, anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
Though I'm not a big believer of conspiracy theories, I have a hunch that Tesla has a breakthrough innovation in electric mobility up their sleeves, which I suspect they have near perfected.

So, what's the endgame?
  1. Everyone lines up to buy Tesla's uber cool looking (we've got to give them that !), ultra long range, powerful, cheap to run and maintain electric cars.
  2. The other automakers scratch their collective heads in unison, wondering as to what to do with all the development they have done (read - invested millions) in building capacities to build electric cars based on Tesla's now 'old' tech.
  3. And, more importantly, pay Tesla billions in royalty to adopt their new and 'revolutionary' technology, and conform to the changing times or go the way of the dinosaurs !

Cheers !
I do see a point in what you shared, but let’s not be so judgemental on the decision made by Tesla. This could well be a straight positive move to improve the ecosystem and the market for electric mobility, which cannot be done alone by Tesla through its operation in a few regions. It requires a good muscle power (lobbying with policy makers) and creating demand in the market (by providing competing products in different segments and regions).

Tesla alone cannot do it and I think it is clear to the management of the company too. They should better use the management and resources of other automobile sector players to bring electric mobility into mainstream business as soon as possible.

Yes it is possible that they could still be ahead of others through the next generation innovation, but believe me, access to even the present day technology could be a boon for the industry in a nutshell. Also I am firm believer in the fact that good brains and ideas are available with every car maker and this sharing of patented information can actually act as a launch pad for something we would be looking forward to in near future. I am all in favour for what Tesla has done and look forward to changing automobile sector in several of the developing economies like India which have considerable dependence on fossil fuel imports for running their economies.

Cheers !
Old 16th June 2014, 14:52   #22
BHPian

Way to go Tesla . They are undisputed leaders of electric cars. We have only Mahindra Reva in here but limited range scares away customers.

Open source patents will encourage companies to go electric and we can hope that increased electric car penetration will reduce greenhouse gases. Charging stations with solar panels can be started in all over India to reduce burden on electricity grid. Battery technology is surely improving day by day with the help of nano technology. I remember the day when I experienced long standby times of Lithium Ion battery in 2002 when I replace nickel cadmium battery of my Nokia 3310 with L-Ion.

I will be delighted to see Maruti Suzuki offering an electric car for the masses.
Old 18th June 2014, 12:20   #23

Very good move by Elon Musk.

Hopefully all the big car companies will use Tesla's technology and produce more and more electric cars and the battery prices will come down (due to mass production, more research going into it and recycling of used batteries) and make owning an electric car more affordable than ever.

Maybe that's one of the reasons behind this move.

We welcome that.
Old 19th June 2014, 11:33   #24
BHPian

Re: Conspiracy Theory, anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post

Cheers !
Interesting assessment. But AFAIK the concept of open source does not work that way. Now though the engineers at rival companies do get to have a look at their patent, they would likely add their own inputs on it and take it further rather than use it on an as is basis. The decision by Tesla goes in the direction of opening up a market rather than controlling and restricting it. Engineers at other companies are also capable of taking Tesla's patents to even further heights.

I see Tesla as a bored genius wanting more friends to play with
Old 20th June 2014, 08:57   #25
Team-BHP Support

Before:
No more patents from Tesla - "All our patents belong to you"-teslapatentwall.jpg

No more patents from Tesla - "All our patents belong to you"-patentwall2.jpg

After:
Name:  screenshot20140619at125302pm.png
Views: 309
Size:  264.5 KB

Imgur
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks