|25th July 2006, 15:21||#1|
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Windsor, Canada... But still a Bombay-Boy at heart !!!
Thanked: 2 Times
5 Greatest Sportscars of All Time
Was watching Discovery Channel. 6 or so automotive experts come together to decide the 5 best racing cars of all times :
5. 1964 Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe (A car built by a chicken farmer - Carol Shelby - winning at Le Mans)
4. 1954-57 Jaguar D-Type (extremely dominating car, but with bad aerodynamics)
3. 1927 Auto Union C Type (6 litre V16 - did 227 MPH during races)
2. Ford GT40 (a legend)
1. Porsche 917 (superior engineering made the Ford GT40 obsolete overnight)
I was quite a little surprised myself to see the Ford GT-40 finish in 2nd. Ofcourse, I had forgotten about the 917. The Porsche was so monstorous, the the Ford GT40 was stripped of the Gulf Racing colours, and given to Porsche.
Enzo Ferrari was so depressed becoz of the Porsche, that he built 25 Ferraris for the 1971 Le Mans 24 Hours. But, 25 cars are pretty expensive (inconvievable by todays standards), so Enzo Ferrari sold 50% shares of his company to FIAT. That is how determined he was to beat the 917. The Porsche finished 1st, 2nd and 3rd in that years Le Mans.
|25th July 2006, 19:44||#2|
Join Date: Feb 2005
Ok, here come my top 5:
5. FORD GT 40
4. AUDI QUATTRO (The first rally car to introduce 4x4 drive)
3. PORSCHE 959 (The Paris-Dakar champ which produced 640 bhp from the same 2.9litre engine as the road car)
2. MERCEDES BENZ W25 (SILVER ARROWS - which produced 600+bhp in the those days and won GP races by a margin of 9 odd minutes and nobody could do anthing about it)
1. McLAREN F1 GTR (How can I stay without this one?)
I would have loved to put in Rudolf Uhlenhaut's Merc 300 SLR which raced at Mille Miglia and Targa Florio, and the Shelby Daytona Coupe, but it seems there isn't enough place for them.
Last edited by turbo_v12 : 25th July 2006 at 19:46.
|28th July 2006, 15:43||#5|
Join Date: Apr 2006
Thanked: 201 Times
Since we are talking about SPORTSCARS and NOT SUPERCARS in this thread...let me list my top 5.....CARS that a person might actually be able to get their hands on...
NO nostalgia here....as quite honestly...won't thrill you enough...and one can probably never own one...
please find below my list