Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2014, 21:11   #31
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Top Gear to replace Jeremy Clarkson

Replacing Clarkson would be a suicidal move for the show. If we look at his history, he has made fun of a lot of countries including his own. For me Top Gear is somewhat similar to 3-Idiots. You don't watch such shows for mere information. It is a mixture of entertainment + emotion + information. The trio has to remain intact. Tiff Needell is a better drive than Jeremy, but Fifth Gear is nowhere near Top Gear in terms of fun factor.
Old 11th September 2014, 21:22   #32
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Top Gear without Jeremy Clarkson is like Toast without Butter, Scrambled Eggs without Bacon, a Ferrari without Petrol or a Rifle with no bullet.

They would be monumentally stupid if they yielded to this "new age political correctness" and dropped Clarkson. The show would just die.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 21:45   #33
BHPian

Like Jeroen, GTO, Shankar and so many others have echoed, thinking of Top Gear as a pure car review show and then then taking offence to jezza, well, I would reckon that you should have stopped watching right then. To stomach jezza, well all you need to do is look at Tejas's (previous?) signature. Something about low self esteem, taking it too personal, etc.

If the BBC were daft enough, and they have been known to be, to remove jezza from hosting a program that he brought back single-handed to the top of viewership charts and a 'car' show actually desirable to all groups of viewers, from hosting something that he has been been doing for the last 12 years atleast (I have all the episodes), well, all I can say, atleast they are well funded.

Last edited by thewhiteknight : 11th September 2014 at 21:49.
Old 11th September 2014, 22:47   #34
BHPian

Jeremy is one Crazy Englishman !! Its his craziness & "I care a damn" attitude that makes the show so different & entertaining.

I believe BBC is smart enough to know that.. but these big corporations have even bigger ego's & can be driven to think Top Gear can go on without him.

For me though, without Jezza there's no top gear. Period !
Old 12th September 2014, 02:23   #35
BHPian

Some say I'm programmed to self destruct if Jezza leaves.

Last edited by TheStig : 12th September 2014 at 02:25. Reason: Edited text
TheStig is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 06:16   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
Some say I'm programmed to self destruct if Jezza leaves.
OMG... Thats a Good one

How can we forget about the creative introduction Jezza comes up with in the "Some say" section just before a lap by the stig. Some of those are outright crazy & hilarious !
Old 12th September 2014, 08:40   #37
BHPian

Slightly - I think the new James May show "Cars of the people" may hint at a possibility of this happening? The title credit is under the Top Gear brand, so does this indicate a parting of ways?
Old 12th September 2014, 08:57   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autonarr View Post
Slightly - I think the new James May show "Cars of the people" may hint at a possibility of this happening? The title credit is under the Top Gear brand, so does this indicate a parting of ways?
Not sure as May (and to some extend Hammond as well) have been making their own program before. And I believe some were Top Gear branded.

I'm not that impressed with the one Hammond made. The one made by James May I really enjoyed. In particular the one about the toys and also his three series with Oz Clarke where they explore France and in the second series California in search of wines. It's very, very entertaining, but not necessarily everybodies cup of tea. Very British, subtle humor.

All three have published various books too, Clarkson being the most prolific by far. I've got most if not all, of his books and have reread them all several times over. I'm not that impressed by the others although I usually do enjoy their columns in Top Gear Magazine.

Every month I get the UK version. Luckily here in Delhi there are several places where you can get international magazines including the UK Top Gear.

Jeroen

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 09:25   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

If this is true, then it's curtains for Top Gear for many fans. As many pointed out, it's not worth a watch without Jeremy. But I have strong feeling that this is a fake news. BBC wouldnt risk terminating Jeremy and also there was a report couple of months back that stating that he renewed his contract till 2018 after a controversy.

'There is no question of Jeremy’s deal not being renewed,' a BBC source told the Sunday People.

'It is being worked on right now. The top executives want him signed up as soon as possible.'

It is thought the new deal – reported to be as high as £12million – would include a £3million annual salary from BBC Worldwide, while an additional £1million would come from the license fee for each of the three years from 2015 to 2018.

I hope this will be the case and we get to see him again.
Old 12th September 2014, 09:41   #40

Clarkson is an Icon of the motoring world, just like jay leno. His knowledge and experience is just way tooooo much for BBC to ignore. Like all good things must end, Clarkson also will move on but not yet. I have not got enough of him on the show. I love that British accent of his. Like most of you think, I also think this must be a fake news just to get some rating or something.
Old 12th September 2014, 10:06   #41
BHPian

Hi Guys,

The change is the only constant thing as we grow. If bbc does not change other would bring in some change for better.

I think we have seen Clarkson for good and there is no harm in trying the change. However the change can be pleasant if done in consent with Clarkson and option of him featuring as guest occasionally.

I sincerely hope it does not become KBC of Mr Bachchan
Old 12th September 2014, 10:33   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Hi Guys,

The change is the only constant thing as we grow. If bbc does not change other would bring in some change for better.

I think we have seen Clarkson for good and there is no harm in trying the change. However the change can be pleasant if done in consent with Clarkson and option of him featuring as guest occasionally.

I sincerely hope it does not become KBC of Mr Bachchan
Again, I'd like to bring in Australia and USA.
They know it's not just the format. And they have seen that Clarkson going it alone is successful with his shows. Even when it's not cars. Try the inventions that changed the world series. Its amazing.
Like I said, its a rumor, and with the E-Junta's reaction that they should have seen, they must have realized by now to not kill the golden, er, thing.: )
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 10:50   #43
BHPian

Tell me this ain't true!

"Some say, he was driving at 300kmph in TopGear and suddenly shifted to reverse just to see the world go nuts!"

If that is indeed true, I consider myself lucky to have lived in his era and witness his shows and stupidity on real time - atleast close to real.
Old 12th September 2014, 11:43   #44

I read about it on the Internet (as JC quotes)

Seems he has gone on record to say he will return to Top Gear next year unless "he is eaten by dogs"
adidube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 12:00   #45
BHPian

Whatever happened to the good old times when we could laugh carefree, even if, sometimes, it was at the expense of others. Nowadays looks like even humor has to be politically correct - which translates to bland humor - which isn't fun anymore.

Slightly OT: Refer this link for a guide to making jokes 'safely' on April 1st (page 2 - no offence meant to any members of this group - I don't want to be seen as a non-politically-correct-humor-monger)

http://www.floridahumanist.org/wp-co...EWSLETTER1.PDF

Like a lot of others, I've also been watching Top Gear show for quite some time and it's more typically a British attitude that everything other than their island is a naught, than anything else (where the non motoring stuff is concerned that is). Shouldn't read too much into it is my take. But, of course, that just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

If you want to know about the controversies. Somebody whiteout a life, actually dedicated a wikipedia page to it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_controversies

Jeroen
This is a discovery. A wiki page, really! Wow. That's really something.

Most Viewed