Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2014, 00:02   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Rumour: Top Gear to replace Jeremy Clarkson

There's a horrible rumor on the web that due to indigestion caused to BBC execs by his controversies, they're looking to replace Clarkson with Chris Evans, the radio guy whose gto was featured on the show.

Although Evans has denied any such move, it's still circulating.
It's incomprehensible that this would even be considered.
It would be just gear, no top.

http://topgearfanclub.com/chris-evan...remy-clarkson/

Last edited by mayankk : 9th September 2014 at 00:09.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 04:46   #2

re: Rumour: Top Gear to replace Jeremy Clarkson

That will really be unwanted move by bbc. He is the key ingredients in the current top gear format and he brings so much fun to it. Having said that, everyone is replaceable. But, I will be sad.
Old 9th September 2014, 08:34   #3
Team-BHP Support

To be fair, Evans knows his cars however, the fun factor will be diminished
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 08:42   #4
BHPian

Doesn't the show need some young blood? I like Clarkson by the way.
Old 9th September 2014, 08:50   #5
BHPian

Yep. Fun factor would exactly be what gets effected if this change happens. With him, it is not just a car show but a total entertainment show. Even people who are not car enthusiasts could be entertained. Other's in the show contribute well enough but I think Clarkson is the key ingredient in making the show such an entertainer. I would love to see him stay!
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 08:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

I don't see this happening. However controversial Clarkson might be, he is a very important part of why we still enjoy Top Gear (albeit, various jokes are getting boring and monotonous). Plus, this is still a rumor. I do not see BBC or Andy Wilman do this atleast for the next few seasons.
Stratos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 08:55   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

The Mirror quoted a BBC source*commenting, "Chris Evans has shown himself to be just as talented in front of the cameras, and is known for his interest in cars".

So?

This when they have seen that the format itself on its own is completely incapable of being successful.
Case in point being US and Australia.

Clarkson, meantime, can still carry on with his own shows, people would watch that instead.

Last edited by Stratos : 9th September 2014 at 09:14. Reason: Corrected the quote.
Old 9th September 2014, 09:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Top Gear is Clarkson. If they replace jezza, they'll lose pretty much all their viewership.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 09:27   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Nothing new. None of the recent seasons have gone by quietly - there is always news of some or the other controversy. Even if BBC were to show jezza the door, what stops him from creating his own show. True, without the Hamster and Capt. Slow, it might not be as fun filled but it still will get good viewership. And who knows, the other 2 also might join him - it's their team that makes TG what it is - take anyone of them out of it and it's not that fun anymore.

That said, I feel since the last few seasons the trio in their acts are getting monotonous - similar kinda races, predictable outcomes, moves, reactions. Maybe they can start introducing new faces and gradually restrict themselves to the 'Specials'.
Dry Ice is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 09:33   #10
BHPian

Top gear without Clarkson will be like two and a half men without Charlie Sheen. It may be nice , but will lack the punch . It will have no charm.
girimajiananth is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 13:33   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Top Gear is Clarkson. If they replace jezza, they'll lose pretty much all their viewership.
Quote:
Top gear without Clarkson will be like two and a half men without Charlie Sheen. It may be nice , but will lack the punch . It will have no charm.
'Nuff said. Hammond & May are good, but there is only one Jezza. And Top Gear is all about Jezza. There is only person who can replace Jezza. And it's Jezza himself
Old 9th September 2014, 19:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

Though the show may not be good without him, that does not make him special to be racial.

He did offer an apology

http://bcove.me/bizvyual

I think more than the word its the context that matters and just few weeks back a black was fined for using the N word against another black. Thats brave

http://i100.independent.co.uk/articl...id--l14ffimcfe
Old 9th September 2014, 20:42   #13
BHPian

The day this will happen, Top gear as a show will cease to exist, atleast for me. I'm sure there are plenty more like me.
Something similiar happened with the show "two and a half men" when Charlie Sheen left the show. Although that show continues to run but all the fun is lost.

Last edited by TB16 : 9th September 2014 at 20:44.
Old 9th September 2014, 22:52   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

What really surprised me is that certain people take Clarkson seriously to start with.

I for one, would hate to see him go. But all things must end and will end some time. But I do believe that these people that are offended by Clarkson really ought to take a good look at themselves and get a life for crying out loud. Why do they take him seriously on these issues that apparently offend some people? Why are they taking this guy seriously in the first place. I can't help feeling a lot of this is all about politically correct behavior to be preferred to authentic and maybe silly behavior. But why take it this seriously from this guy? Haven't they got something more important to worry about. Like, maybe a war, or poverty, or Ebola, of climate change, or some nutter bashing baby seals to death to make nice fur coats. I mean there is so much that could stand to be improved in this world and some chose to spend their time and energy on a car nerd entertainer who shoots of his mouth now and then. I just don't get it.

Bear in mind that this show has hundreds of millions of viewers globally and the number of complaints pales to that number.

If you want to know about the controversies. Somebody whiteout a life, actually dedicated a wikipedia page to it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_controversies

Until recently Jeremy and producer Andy owned 50% of the Global Brand Top Gear. About two years ago or so, I seem to recall they sold that to the BBC. Top Gear, from a commercial/revenue point of view, is much more than just the show. It's a huge brand with books, DVD, theater shows, gadgets etc. etc. And of course also Topgear Magazine, my personal favorite magazine, the UK version that is.

Never quite understood how the BBC, being a public broadcasting company could enter into all those other commercial ventures, but there you are.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 01:38   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
How offensive is the fact that I chuckled through the list remembering the incidents?
You have to be dipped in a special pot of honey to be offended by this.

In fact, here itself, on the forum, the main gripe with the India special was that it was barely north of boring, not offensive.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed