Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2017, 21:10   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Details of the next-generation Volkswagen Polo emerge. EDIT: Unveiled in Berlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post

This is a really well engineered car, but VW needs to make sure it's more spacious. That's the only weaklink, also hope VW ditches those 3 cylinder engines.
That is highly unlikely.
Every other manufacturer has already started going the 3 Cylinder way in some form or the other.

The new Baleno RS, the small Fords, even the Mini has one. The humble 3 Cyl is being plonked into every possible hatch at every possible price point.

There are very few 3 Cyl which can come close to the 4 Cyl refinement, so the future is surely an un-refined one.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 19:49   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Details of the next-generation Volkswagen Polo emerge. EDIT: Unveiled in Berlin

Bringing you the very first pics of the NEXT GEN 2017 Polo built on the MQB A0 platform - 70kg lighter than the current Polo. Touches of the Golf face lift too.

New design language as seen in ARTEON - extension lip on the bonnet ?

Details of the next-generation Volkswagen Polo emerge. EDIT: Unveiled in Berlin-unnamed2.jpg
Details of the next-generation Volkswagen Polo emerge. EDIT: Unveiled in Berlin-unnamed.jpg

L I N K

Last edited by volkman10 : 17th March 2017 at 20:02.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 19:57   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Bringing you the very first pics of the NEXT GEN 2017 Polo built on the MQB A0 platform - 70kg lighter than the current Polo.
The car looks very classy. Somehow i do like the way VW makes these timeless designs. Unfortunately VW decided to go for 3 cylinders with the new Polo.
ngauravmalhotra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 22:49   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Bringing you the very first pics of the NEXT GEN 2017 Polo built on the MQB A0 platform -
Had a good look because it somehow isn't love at first sight for me. I can't help but feel that this one looks a generation older than the current generation Polo.

Guess it will grow on me like other VW designs. Looks to have increased in both length and width though!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2017, 04:09   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Had a good look because it somehow isn't love at first sight for me. I can't help but feel that this one looks a generation older than the current generation Polo.

Guess it will grow on me like other VW designs. Looks to have increased in both length and width though!
A hint of Scirocco?

I like this design, though. Yup looks a lot wider, and a tad shorter, maybe not.
ecenandu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2017, 10:44   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

2018 6th Gen Polo, partial front view,

Name:  17342664_1292914137458066_7434932029215459149_n.png
Views: 3040
Size:  509.7 KB

Polo
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2017, 16:58   #52
BHPian

Doesn't really excite me. The one we'll get here in India will probably come without the LED headlamps too, so imagine this exact car with regular halogen headlights and it looks even more bland.

Maybe that'll change with better quality pictures, a good colour on the car and some decent alloys.
I have high hopes for the next Polo; Keep the quality, festoon it with latest tech on the inside, some more powerful drivetrains and we'll have the best hatch in the business.
DeKay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2017, 19:00   #53
Senior - BHPian

The transformation reminds me of the i20. The Elite i20 and the new Polo are edgier and nicer looking machines.

Are any other details available? I would love to know whether there's an all-electric powertrain.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2017, 19:12   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Are any other details available? I would love to know whether there's an all-electric powertrain.
This is the Polo for Europe.

India is likely to get the hatch being developed in China for emerging markets in 2019.
Not clear yet whether it will be in the VW logo or the speculated new sub brand from VW when it is sold in India.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2017, 19:18   #55
BHPian

Hmmm, the new design looks..dare I say Fluidic. Good or bad, depends from person to person.

Personally, I think this will suit Vento more than the Polo. Vento right now looks really ugly. Polo with an overhanging boot.

Also hope, if and when this model comes, it comes with MT or atleast paddle shifts. Getting real tired of VW skimping on features.
Old 18th March 2017, 23:33   #56

This might not be relevant to the topic, but good to see the Tata 207 beside the Polo.

Please delete this if it's in violation of the rules.
memascom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 08:03   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

For Brazil the VW Gol will arrive as the sibling to the European Polo. Will be built on a simplified MQB A0 platform, making it less expensive .

Internally code named 270 the Gol will look identical to the EU Polo. The platform will also get the Polo Sedan- VIRTUS and is called Project 271.

VW 2018 Gol testing in Sao Paulo,

Details of the next-generation Volkswagen Polo emerge. EDIT: Unveiled in Berlin-flagranovovolkswagengol.jpg
Details of the next-generation Volkswagen Polo emerge. EDIT: Unveiled in Berlin-flagranovovolkswagengol1.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 09:13   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

In my view, looks much, much, better than the current Polo which is square and flat lines just about everywhere except the logo, wheels and steering, unimaginative and boring at its best. Now let this comment not be exaggerated to mean that a Hyundai Eon or the current Honda City with their curves and/or sharply raking character lines in the side are good-looking, no, I like a balance, a proportionate yet interesting look and I like curves (though not as much as the Micra).

The problem is that VW is very, very good at marketing, their rival groups like BMW or Mercedes aren't nearly as good at boasting about themselves like VW and its group companies. VW, atleast in India and Europe have made themselves out to be so German that they make older/better companies like the other two mentioned above "less" German. They have people convinced that "clean"/"straight"/"no-nonsense" lines are Germanic and stands as a symbol of the staid, refined and earnest choices in life.

What most forget is that German-curves was a big saying as well, look at earlier generation Mercedes cars with their dual-round lamps, BMW's with their body-curves at all the end-points of the vehicle, the finishing of every surface including lamps was round, smoothed and yet it looked great, contrast that with a Skoda which now looks like its cut out of a crystal with sharp raking lines everywhere. A matter of choice no doubt but just my way of pointing out that not everyone will like what every company does, mention Fluidic-Design and one can also see a slew of hate comments, that's justified as well, Hyundai went overboard with it in a few cars.

Sadly, design keeps evolving and devolving, its the only way manufacturers know to keep the interest alive and sales on the up. One can nail the perfect design and have it sell by the thousands, but next year it'll still need a "re-kink" and a few will love it even more while the rest will say "well, their ruined it". As for the Polo, its evident they're coming out of their square-obsession, they are using octagonal shapes to hide the quadrangular looks, and from the looks of it, they may dare to once again, add curves to the car in the years to come like the yesteryear lamps of Jetta and Golf.

Martin Winterkorn was a huge fan of basic, no-nonsense designs but he went a little overboard as well with the MQB extending to looks too, with his sacking, hopefully VW becomes a bit more interesting to look at. Again, my personal preferences, most people hate Bangle and his design influences on BMW but I feel he made them what they are today, and now BMW is pulling a VW by going flatty-patty,

Last edited by dark.knight : 20th March 2017 at 09:15.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 10:45   #59
BHPian

If this comes in 2019, then i dont think VW will be able to give features like LEDs, ESP, 6 Airbags, etc a miss. Competition will be much heavier then on the features front.

With the looks, I am sure to replace my current GT TSI with a GT TSI in this avatar.
Old 20th March 2017, 12:20   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
In my view, looks much, much, better than the current Polo which is square and flat lines just about everywhere except the logo, wheels and steering, unimaginative and boring at its best. ... ... ...
Each to their own, of course, and I'd be the last to force a square flat car on a man that likes curves, but... it is these lines that many of us VW fans actually like. That's certainly my personal taste, but generally speaking, I suggest that curves go in and out of fashion, whilst the flatter look is more enduring.

(nb, If anyone should have any doubt: I am only talking about cars here )
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks