Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2017, 15:10   #61
BHPian

re: Details of the next-generation Volkswagen Polo emerge. EDIT: Unveiled in Berlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
This is the Polo for Europe.

India is likely to get the hatch being developed in China for emerging markets in 2019.
Not clear yet whether it will be in the VW logo or the speculated new sub brand from VW when it is sold in India.
Does this mean the brand Polo may not exist in India beyond 2019? I doubt that!!!

Also it will be interesting to see what they do to the Polo and Vento in the next year what with all the discussions about the tie up and platform sharing.

Regards
Bharath
Old 22nd March 2017, 10:53   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Details of the next-generation Volkswagen Polo emerge. EDIT: Unveiled in Berlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharath79 View Post
Does this mean the brand Polo may not exist in India beyond 2019? I doubt that!!!
Also it will be interesting to see what they do to the Polo and Vento in the next year what with all the discussions about the tie up and platform sharing.
As of now only clear market for Polo other than Europe is Brazil. A simplified version built on the modified MQB A0 platform.
The same platform will hold good for the Virtus ( Polo Sedan) for Brazil.
Both are earmarked with extensive testing going on for a 2017/18 launch.

For India it is not clear yet of its plans are after the VW-JAC with its budget car ( NEW SUB BRAND)program and the subsequent VW-TATA with low cost cars ( headed by Skoda). All plans are 2019 and beyond.

Will VW cars co-exist with the above plans by going only premium ? Doesn't look very feasible at least in the segments of Polo and Vento.

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd March 2017 at 10:55.
Old 4th April 2017, 20:00   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Next Gen, 2017 Polo grows in size, breaches the 4m mark, length to be at ~ 4.1 m.

Quote:
...are to have LED headlights, an adaptive suspension and the Active InfoCockpit. On the engine side, VW sets the petrol engines mainly on three cylinders. The diesel remains in the offer, alternative drives are not available initially. In the medium term, however, one thinks of a favorable parallel hybrid. With the Ibiza, Seat already has a preview of the new VW Polo.
Quote:
The CrossPolo and the Blue GT are no longer available from model year 2018 onwards. The successor of the CrossPolo is called T-Roc and is a largely independent SUV.

Details of the next-generation Volkswagen Polo emerge. EDIT: Unveiled in Berlin-vwpoloillustration1200x800370e8843e5752cf2.jpg

Details of the next-generation Volkswagen Polo emerge. EDIT: Unveiled in Berlin-vwpoloillustration1200x800b901d5dacb5a456a.jpg

Source- AutoBild

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th April 2017 at 20:05.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 08:25   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

If at all VW is interested in bringing the next Gen Polo to India - This will be the car, the Polo for Brazil.

Made from a simplified MQB A0 platform, this will look exactly similar to the European version. A Length of more than 4m a wheel base of 2.45m and a boot capacity of 355 l should address the cramped interiors of the current gen Polo.

Quote:
The design will pass only by a restyling (of the Eu polo) and keep the platform, combining the PQ24 and PQ25
A new 1.0L TSI engine is expected to debut in the Polo.

Details of the next-generation Volkswagen Polo emerge. EDIT: Unveiled in Berlin-flagradonovovolkswagenpolo.jpg

link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 08:46   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Made from a simplified MQB A0 platform, this will look exactly similar to the European version. A Length of more than 4m a wheel base of 2.45m and a boot capacity of 355 l should address the cramped interiors of the current gen Polo
History has proven that anything that comes to India needs sacrifice, this is going on right from Jawa days & in this case, I'm tempted to think it will be 3999mm.
Old 7th April 2017, 11:34   #66
BHPian

Details of the next-generation Volkswagen Polo emerge!

Quote:
If at all VW is interested in bringing the next Gen Polo to India - This will be the car, the Polo for Brazil.

Made from a simplified MQB A0 platform, this will look exactly similar to the European version. A Length of more than 4m a wheel base of 2.45m and a boot capacity of 355 l should address the cramped interiors of the current gen Polo.

There has to be a Polo launch/facelift in the next 12-15 months and I suspect something based on the PQ2x platform may help for the short term. Short term because the shared platform may kick in in 2019 or later.

So you may just be right. We might get this in the next iteration.

Regards
Bharath
Old 7th April 2017, 12:01   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharath79 View Post
There has to be a Polo launch/facelift in the next 12-15 months and I suspect something based on the PQ2x platform may help for the short term. Short term because the shared platform may kick in in 2019 or later.
For sure you will see facelift (s) of the current Polo ( DRL, etc) in the coming months.
If at all there will be a Polo ( Brazilian) it will come as a premium hatch under the VW brand OR else India will be deprived of the next gen Polo.

The low cost cars coming from VW-JAC tie-up is likely to come to emerging markets ( India included) and will fill in the compact hatch segment. time frame is 2019. ( Hatch, compact SUV, Sedan)
Not Clear though is which brand will it be marketed - A new emerging market brand?

The VW-Tata alliance (under SKODA lead) too will be spinning off a low cost hatch.

All of the above seem to point out that unlike Brazil( road map clearly define- Polo, Virtus, Gol,Compact SUV, T ROC) , India is not a focal point in VW's road map.
Old 7th April 2017, 14:41   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
History has proven that anything that comes to India needs sacrifice, this is going on right from Jawa days & in this case, I'm tempted to think it will be 3999mm.
With the extra mm costing dearly in tax (I think?) so it should be. They want to establish themselves (and are doing fairly well at it) as the quality end of the mass hatchback market. Wouldn't putting the polo in a different tax/price bracket completely defeat that?

Quote:
For sure you will see facelift (s) of the current Polo ( DRL, etc) in the coming months.
Of course! We could almost write the Polo facelifts into our calendar!

But I don't mind: it all adds up to a better [-equipped, at least] car for current and future buyers. Those that buy the polo for (hopefully) longevity are not going to rush out and buy the latest facelift. But we are keeping track of the extras that we will get when, perhaps years ahead, trade-in time eventually comes.

So let them do all that stuff to attract new buyers. It benefits us all in the end.
Old 7th April 2017, 17:20   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
With the extra mm costing dearly in tax (I think?) so it should be. They want to establish themselves (and are doing fairly well at it) as the quality end of the mass hatchback market. Wouldn't putting the polo in a different tax/price bracket completely defeat that?

Yes, correct.
They are struggling now, to be honest, at the current competitive pricing itself.
If they go properly premium with their pricing, there will be even fewer takers.

But coming back to the 4m rule, wasn't there news that it is on it's way out, after GST roll out?
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 08:07   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

New Polo (2017) Prototype test driven in S Africa - A Mini Golf! L I N K

Details of the next-generation Volkswagen Polo emerge. EDIT: Unveiled in Berlin-22.jpg

Details of the next-generation Volkswagen Polo emerge. EDIT: Unveiled in Berlin-vwpoloac300_0.jpg
The ride is supple, with a little pitching over some bumps, but comfort has clearly been a priority.

Test drive cars - 1.0L TSI - 3 cylinder, 74 /94 bhp, 5 MT

Engines - 1.0L turbo and non-turbo. petrol/ 2.0L petrol
- 1.6 Diesel
Quote:
The TSI engine may be the entry-level turbo unit, but it feels particularly well-judged, and neither is unrefined unless you force the revs.
Volkswagen goes in for the evolutionary design for the new Polo but improving upon its interiors freeing up more space both at the front and rear mainly due to the longer wheel base.
It’s the VW Group’s new MQB A0 small-car platform that will be used in everything from the new SEAT Ibiza to a brand new range of small SUVs.

Dimensions LXWXH / New (Current) mm - 4053 ( 3972 ) X 1751 ( 1682) X 1446 (1543)
Wheel base, mm - 2564 (2470)

Quote:
That makes it significantly longer and wider, and if the height difference looks significant on paper, it certainly doesn’t feel it inside in reality.
Quote:
That means there’s excellent rear space for a supermini, enabling larger adults to sit comfortably in the back. Head and shoulder room seems to have been improved, too.
Quote:
There’s a hint of larger road imperfections hitting the cabin, but they are mostly well absorbed. At high speed the Polo is supremely stable, too, and what chance we had to take corners suggested solid and secure, if not sparkling, levels of grip and steering feedback.
Quote:
Inside, the cabin is well insulated, well made (although in this early form also covered by disguise in parts, hinting that the rumored T-Roc style colored dashes might make it here too) and well laid out.
Details of the next-generation Volkswagen Polo emerge. EDIT: Unveiled in Berlin-vwpoloac297_0.jpg
Details of the next-generation Volkswagen Polo emerge. EDIT: Unveiled in Berlin-vwpoloac298_0.jpg
Details of the next-generation Volkswagen Polo emerge. EDIT: Unveiled in Berlin-vwpoloac299_0.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 19th April 2017 at 08:22.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 08:34   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
New Polo (2017) Prototype test driven - A Mini Golf!
Ah so it is now grown up to the size of an Elite i20, though the wheelbase is a smidge smaller.

Here is how they compare :

New Polo : 4053 x 1751 x 1446 + WB - 2564

Euro i20 : 4035 x 1734 x 1474 + WB - 2570

The Indian "Elite" i20 has relatively different dimensions though, with the length made to fit within 4 meters - 3985mm and height being a more practical 1505 mm. This Polo has very little chances of making it here, I'd guess the next replacement would be the model with the Tata collaboration (or so it seems). VW could cut the bumpers down by 2 inches which would be quite difficult given the already barely-there protrusions of the extremities, but if I remember the upcoming taxation reforms might just eliminate the sub-4m rule, if that's the case then there is no problem.

What I'm having a slight issue with, and as also pointed out by another forum member is that the Polo is squatting, its a very low car with possibly the lowest height of all of them, this would make entry/exit a bit difficult, I'm young and I might have a dozen or so years left till the time I actually complain of bending to sit down in a car but it is a bit more demanding than the hatches which are taller by just an inch or 2 for people above 50 and I've seen it (I sense that Mr.Thad will make a rebuttal ), it makes a big difference. I'm sure the height will not go down any more than the current Indian Polo (1469) as they've to add the extra inch for ground clearance.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 14:05   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
New Polo (2017) Prototype test driven in S Africa - A Mini Golf!
I thought, "It's always been a mini Golf!" And the review agrees:

Quote:
There are four words that have been attached to the Polo since it launched in 1975, proving to be both its greatest asset and shortcoming in equal measure: “Like a smaller Golf”.
But I wish that VW would not make it bigger. If people want a family hatchback, they can buy the Golf (unless they are in India, of course ). Local tax implications aside, some of us buy smaller cars because we want smaller cars.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 15:06   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

More on the 2017 Polo ( Eu and Br)Link

Details of the next-generation Volkswagen Polo emerge. EDIT: Unveiled in Berlin-imagegallery4948558f68e148a2ec.jpg

- Engines 1.0L TSi - 65, 75(MT), 95 or 115 HP(MT/7 Speed -DSG)
- Most powerful petrol 2.0l TSi- 200 HP
- Diesel in 1.6L - 80 or 95 hp
- To be priced near to the outgoing model
- SEAT Ibiza may be sportier and sharper, but the Polo seems more balanced and binding.

Polo 1.0L TSi - 115HP
Quote:
The very ordinary driving performance gives the inconspicuous five-seater a permanent ticket for the fast lane: nine seconds to 100 km / h, 200 top, just under five liters per 100 kilometers.
Quote:
In our first take contact on board the VW Polo 2017 , we have only had the opportunity to briefly drive the 1.0 version 115 HP TSI, very nice, strong and easy to drive . At all times feels light, agile and transmits confidence to the driver. Up to 3,500 rpm is quite silent; above this regime, something louder, without stridency and vibration. Climbing turns easily up to 5,500 rpm and the real consumption, in dynamic testing, did not exceed the 6.5 l / 100 km .
Link1
Old 21st April 2017, 08:59   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

The Sixth Gen Polo to cost nearly same, or maybe less than the current Polo!

Details of the next-generation Volkswagen Polo emerge. EDIT: Unveiled in Berlin-watermarktemplate.jpg

Autobild-
Quote:
Despite all the new technology VW wants to lower the prices even slightly: The new Polo is to start at around 12,500 euros, currently is at 12,600 euros.
NEW POLO GTi to get the turbocharged 2.0 L engine,developing 197 bhp and being previously used in Golf.

Quote:
expect the increase in power to drop the 0-62mph time from 6.7 seconds to less than six seconds
Quote:
VW has confirmed what we’ll find under the bonnet. A 197bhp 2.0 TSI from the previous Golf GTI will feature in its next hot supermini, meaning it will be more powerful and noticeably faster than the one it will replace.
Quote:
The current Polo GTI boasts 189bhp, but the new model will turn up the wick to be on par with the next-generation Ford Fiesta ST, which makes use of a turbocharged 1.5-litre three-cylinder
Link
Old 27th April 2017, 08:04   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Next Gen Polo rendered - more sightings will be published before its official debut in September.
Quote:
Borrowing cues from the new Arteon, the Polo rendering seen here gives the car a significantly updated front fascia. The rear, meanwhile, retains some of the same smooth characteristics found on the outgoing Polo, but with a more modern makeover
Details of the next-generation Volkswagen Polo emerge. EDIT: Unveiled in Berlin-vw_polo_2018_arteonstyle_ilustrace_lepsi_01_800_600.jpg

Details of the next-generation Volkswagen Polo emerge. EDIT: Unveiled in Berlin-vw_polo_2018_arteonstyle_ilustrace_lepsi_02_800_600.jpg

Link

Most Viewed