Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2017, 08:18   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Details of the next-generation Volkswagen Polo emerge. EDIT: Unveiled in Berlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
I think they will not be launching this car in India in the near future mainly due to its length (>4M) which will not meet the requirements for lower excise duties.
The length of 2017 Polo is 4053 mm.

So, VW will have to shave off 5.3 cm, which is quite possible by trimming both bumpers.

For reference, the ruler below shows 5.3 cm.
Details of the next-generation Volkswagen Polo emerge. EDIT: Unveiled in Berlin-capture.jpg

Hyundai did the same with the new i20. Won't look that awkward unless you compare both the Indian and International version side by side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Not too sure about that. He looks tall but is sitting in a knee up seating position with limited under thigh support and his legs seem to be touching the front seats ever so lightly.
Yeah.

I am not too hopeful. The rear doors also look much smaller in comparison. Maybe VW can prioritize cabin space over boot space and push that rear seat as far back as possible.
deetjohn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 08:47   #122
Senior - BHPian

Re: Details of the next-generation Volkswagen Polo emerge. EDIT: Unveiled in Berlin

I don't think VW is bringing the new one to India. There had been reports in the past that had supported this move. I personally feel its a bad move as the polo and vento have both done reasonably well (for german cars at least) and there are a number of repeat customers who will be lost to other brands in the absence of an upgrade. Mitsubishi had decent momentum with the Lancer and they killed it, Chevy killed the Cruze & Honda did the same with the Civic and Accord and now its VW making the same mistake.
I believe they will focus on the small SUV and mid size SUV market in India but even that will take a while and thats not smart on the part of VW.
nik_kapur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 11:56   #123

Exterior design wise, I would still wholeheartedly prefer the current gen Polo. Those headlamps on the MK6 simply don't look sharp enough despite having a full-LED setup and the small taillights don't do much to hide the visual bulk of the rear. The interior however, is one of the best I have seen on a supermini yet.

As for speculation that VW might develop a different Indian version based on Tata's AMP platform, I recently read in Autocar India that the cost of adapting AMP for VW/Skoda amounts to €140 million (~ Rs. 1010 cr) and VW thinks they might be better off investing that money into adapting the MQB platform for India.

Fingers crossed.
kpower11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 13:54   #124
Senior - BHPian

The car is great and typical VW. Minimalistic design that looks great even a few years down the line. One aspect that I did not like was the body colored strip just over the grill. I think making this part of the grill would have given the front a more aggressive look.

A lot of features point to the car being unviable to the Indian market. SCR in the diesel engines being one which is sure to drive the service costs up. The MQB platform has already seen some casualities due to it's cost like the Jetta. But if they still use India as an export hub does this mean that none of their developing markets get the MQB Polo?

Then again their technical head did mention the hatch back offerings from their premium competitors like the Merc A class and the Audi A1 being the targets which may mean they might price it premium in the S-Cross segment. That 5 door GTI at 25 lakhs would be sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
The length of 2017 Polo is 4053 mm.

So, VW will have to shave off 5.3 cm, which is quite possible by trimming both bumpers.

For reference, the ruler below shows 5.3 cm.
With the new GST rules does the 4 meter advantage stil hold?

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 17th June 2017, 17:20   #125
BHPian

Hello
The things which i like personally are the alloy wheels ; instrument cluster & the headlight assembly and of course the plethora of engine and gearbox options.
The ICE and that section of the dashboard reminds me of the new Honda City and i am not a big fan of that design especially the glossy piano black finish.
The bumper grill too looks very similar to the new i20 !
Can only hope we get the above nice goodies in the Indian version !
Old 17th June 2017, 17:23   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
... ... ... Maybe VW can prioritize cabin space over boot space and push that rear seat as far back as possible.
My theory is that singles and young couples are Polo buyers. Or, for young, substitute couples of any age, pre-or-post child-rearing, and not living with parents.

Taking myself as being such a buyer, if I have to choose between boot space and rear passenger space, I'd rather have a decent boot. No family, occasional rear passengers, but do shop.

I believe it is a big mistake to expect an honestly small hatchback to be a family carrier.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 18:51   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
With the new GST rules does the 4 meter advantage stil hold?
The difference has come down, but its not gone away completely. Better to shave that bumper and pass on the benefit to customers. That said, I do hope we don't see attempts like Ameo anymore as the advantage has come down now with GST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My theory is that singles and young couples are Polo buyers....
I believe it is a big mistake to expect an honestly small hatchback to be a family carrier.
Polo is used a family car by many I know. Meaning kids, parents all travel on that rear seat. Indian market is a bit different in that regard. And yes, many single and young couple too buy the Polo. And a bigger cabin helps them to hold on to the car when the family becomes bigger.

So, why not give the maximum cabin space and also have a split folding rear seat to make it the best of both worlds? And while shopping, if the boot space isn't enough, just tumble that rear seat down. Maruti has done that successfully in the current WagonR, again a very popular family car.

And not to forget, the boot space has gone up to 351 liters (+70) in the UK market in the 2017 Polo. So, VW does have room to play with here which I hope they leverage.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 22:11   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Power of the MQB Platform - SEAT IBIZA and VW Polo

Sibling rivalry - SEAT IBIZA and VW Polo, both have common engines of the bigger brothers SEAT LEON and VW Golf, sharing development costs as built on the same MQB A0 platform but yet different.

SEAT IBIZA visibly looks to have an edge over the Polo but the VAG group gives the Polo better interiors and the UNIQUE GTI.

Here is how they stack up in dimensions,

Length, mm - 4053 (Polo)/ 4059 (Ibiza)
Height - both are identical at 1446
Tracks - identical - 1,525mm front and 1,505mm rear
Wheel base - Identical -2,564mm
Boot space. L- 351 (Polo)/ 355 (Ibiza)
Engines and Transmission - shared by both

SEAT IBIZA is the budget model when compared to the Premium ( feature rich) VW Polo.

Details of the next-generation Volkswagen Polo emerge. EDIT: Unveiled in Berlin-10.jpg
Details of the next-generation Volkswagen Polo emerge. EDIT: Unveiled in Berlin-20.jpg
Details of the next-generation Volkswagen Polo emerge. EDIT: Unveiled in Berlin-30.jpg
Details of the next-generation Volkswagen Polo emerge. EDIT: Unveiled in Berlin-40.jpg
Details of the next-generation Volkswagen Polo emerge. EDIT: Unveiled in Berlin-50.jpg
Details of the next-generation Volkswagen Polo emerge. EDIT: Unveiled in Berlin-60.jpg
Details of the next-generation Volkswagen Polo emerge. EDIT: Unveiled in Berlin-70.jpg
Details of the next-generation Volkswagen Polo emerge. EDIT: Unveiled in Berlin-80.jpg

link

Last edited by volkman10 : 17th June 2017 at 22:12.
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 14:59   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

With the current Polo(MK 5) doing brisk business the 2018 POLO is expected to keep up the momentum.

source:Jato
Details of the next-generation Volkswagen Polo emerge. EDIT: Unveiled in Berlin-po.jpg

VW press release,
Details of the next-generation Volkswagen Polo emerge. EDIT: Unveiled in Berlin-capture.jpg

Knowing the 2018 Polo,

-Only available in 5 door configuration

-Polo has been made bigger than its predecessor in every dimension. As a result, it offers more space for driver and passengers, plus significantly increased boot volume, which has gone up from 280 to 351 litres.

-Multitude of driver assistance systems that were previously reserved for the Golf and Passat class

-Trendline, Comfortline and Highline trims as standard in addition the Polo Beats (with features including a 300-watt sound system) and the sporty top model, the Polo GTI(delivering 147 kW / 200 PS),

- Even the base version of the new Polo, the Trendline, has standard features such as LED daytime running lights with coming-home and leaving-home functions, a speed limiter and the Front Assist area monitoring system with City Emergency Braking and Pedestrian Monitoring.

-Prices for the Polo Trendline in Germany start from €12,9751

-Options- Adaptive Cruise Control ACC (can now be activated up to a speed of 210 km/h).

-New options available in the Polo are the Blind Spot Detection lane change system with Rear Traffic Alert, the semi-automated Park Assist system for exiting parking spaces and a ‘manoeuvring function'.

- The latter provides automatic protection from any bumps while parking. The optional Keyless Access locking and engine starting system, which is also new, can be used to unlock and start up the Polo.

-The Polo is the first Volkswagen and first Group model at all in which a new generation of the Active Info Display is available. The functionality and ease of use of the digital instruments are something completely new in this segment.

-At the same time, the Polo has been given the latest generation of infotainment systems with display diagonals ranging from 6.5 to 8.0 inches – glass-encased devices that are as sophisticated as high-end smartphones, giving the interior a technical, clear look.

-Fresh new colours (a total of 14 exterior colours are available) and twelve wheels (14- to 18-inch, some painted in contrasting colour), dash-pads in a multitude of décors and eleven different seat covers make the Polo more colourful and more individual.

- Further personalisation options include full LED headlights, LED tail lights, an Air Care Climatronic system with humidity and sun sensor plus allergen filter, wireless charging for smartphones (optionally including inductive antenna connection).

- Sport Select running gear with adjustable shock absorbers and one of the biggest panoramic sunroofs in this class.
-The range of power output options at the start of sales will extend from 48 kW / 65 PS1 to 110 kW / 150 PS
-For the first time, the Polo will be available with a natural gas engine – the newly developed 1.0 TGI with an output of 66 kW / 90 PS
-A choice of four petrol and two diesel engines, all equipped as standard with start/stop system and regenerative braking mode.
- Every engine with a power output of 70 kW or above can be combined with a dual clutch gearbox (DSG).

And exclusive pics of Polo GTI,

Details of the next-generation Volkswagen Polo emerge. EDIT: Unveiled in Berlin-gti1625x375.jpg
Details of the next-generation Volkswagen Polo emerge. EDIT: Unveiled in Berlin-gti4625x375.jpg
Details of the next-generation Volkswagen Polo emerge. EDIT: Unveiled in Berlin-gti2625x375.jpg
Details of the next-generation Volkswagen Polo emerge. EDIT: Unveiled in Berlin-g.jpg

Source:VW release

Last edited by volkman10 : 19th June 2017 at 15:22.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 15:52   #130
Senior - BHPian

Would love to own this for my in-City trips. Hope VW brings this here. Anyone knows what is the price difference in Germany between this and the current one ?
Old 19th June 2017, 16:02   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Would love to own this for my in-City trips. Hope VW brings this here. Anyone knows what is the price difference in Germany between this and the current one ?
The entry level Trendline is kept the same at 12.750 € , but with more features.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 08:40   #132
Senior - BHPian

http://indianautosblog.com/2017/06/m...ndering-271386. Is there a possibility that the new Polo is going to come into India in the form of the Virtus sedan? It kind of makes sense in a way and would help them price it higher too.

Drive on,
Shibu
Old 20th June 2017, 08:52   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Is there a possibility that the new Polo is going to come into India in the form of the Virtus sedan?
There will be no launches from VW until 2019 when it would become clear on which way they will go - MQB or using the Skoda -Tata alliance for budget cars for India.
As of now both MK6 Polo and VW Virtus will be elusive to India.
Old 20th June 2017, 12:48   #134
BHPian

All-new 6th generation Volkswagen Polo

Mods: I think this should be in the news section but did not know how to post this into the news section. Kindly move it to the correct thread !! Thanks !!

The all-new 6th generation Volkswagen Polo has been unveiled. This new car is based on an iteration of the MQB platform called the A0 which has been specifically designed for compact cars. Volkswagen will showcase the new Polo at the 2017 Frankfurt Motor show in September.

Besides giving significant weight saving (VW hasn’t revealed how much), the new platform also accords the Polo a more stately appearance. Though still instantly recognisable as a VW car, the Polo now gets an even longer bonnet, sleeker headlamps as well as stylish alloy wheels. Volkswagen offers a choice of 14-18 inch wheels depending on the trim selected. The car will be available in the Trendline, Comfortline and Highline trims. Complementing them will be the Beats edition (with an uprated 300W music system), the GTi as well as the cosmetically-enhanced R-Line. The car is not only bigger in every aspect than the outgoing MK5 Polo, it is also now available in only a 5-door trim. Speaking of which, the exterior dimensions are 4,053mm(length), 1,751mm(width) and 1,446mm (height). This means it is 81mm longer, 63mm wider and sits 7mm lower than the older car. The wheelbase now is 93mm longer than before at 2,564mm, surpassing even the much bigger Golf’s 2511mm. Volkswagen claims that this liberates 15mm more headroom in the front and 21mm at the back. This should hopefully fix the biggest grouse we had with the Polo – space in the cabin. In the process of enhancing space all-around, the boot capacity now stands at a respectable 351 litres, compared to the 280 litres of the current Polo.

In the cabin too, there are several new additions. This includes the fully digital instrument cluster, mimicking the virtual cockpit effect of the Audi TT but in a much more advanced fashion. All the menus can be accessed via a single button on the steering wheel. The infotainment system itself is a touchscreen unit that supports MirrorLink, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Like before, there is a flat bottom steering wheel but now with metal inserts. The cabin too has minimal buttons.The array of safety features now brings it at par with the much bigger Golf as well as the Passat. The list include City Emergency Braking, Pedestrian Monitoring, adaptive cruise control, real traffic alert and Park Assist system.

Now to the most important aspect, the engines. The new Polo comes with a range of nine Euro-VI engines including three turbo petrol, two naturally aspirated petrols, one running on natural gas and a sole diesel. The diesel is a new 1.6-litre turbo unit in 80PS/95PS guise. The MPI as well as the turbo engines run a one-litre motor with varying power outputs between 65-115PS while the all-new 1.5 turbo petrol is available with 150PS. The most powerful Polo is the GTi with 200PS. VW will offer manual as well as a dual clutch transmission on the Polo.

Will the new Polo come to India? It is likely that Volkswagen may bring it down to the country but only sometime next year. The A0 platform may be expensive to manufacture here. However, the agreement with Tata to use the latter’s AMP platform might bring in some middle ground. Expect the new Polo to be priced significantly higher than the outgoing car as and when it makes its way down to our market. Our guess is by 2019 when the BS-VI fuel will be made available.

http://overdrive.in/news/all-new-vol...polo-unveiled/
Old 20th June 2017, 13:24   #135
Senior - BHPian

The new polo is basically saying buy anything after looking at my eyes and saying you dont love me.

Love this iteration and this car gets looking better. VW can definitely bring in just the cosmetics and retro fit to the current generation and still sell numbers.

This looks like a proper polo iteration in all angles.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks