Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2014, 14:38   #1
Team-BHP Support

Hyundai exhibits new turbo petrol engines at Paris Motor Show

Korean automaker, Hyundai has showcased two new small capacity turbocharged petrol engines at the ongoing Paris Motor Show. These include a 1.0-litre and a 1.4-litre unit, which are a part of the new generation engines from the company's Kappa range.

The Kappa 1.0-litre T-GDI (turbocharged gasoline direct injected) has been developed at Hyundai's European Technical Centre in Russelsheim. It is a 998 cc, 3-cylinder unit, based on the Kappa 1.0-litre MPI powerplant, enhanced by direct gasoline injection and a small single-scroll turbocharger. It is capable of producing up to 118 bhp and 172 Nm of torque. It features an electronically-controlled waste-gate, which Hyundai claims optimises flow and improves low-end torque and throttle response. It has a six-hole GDI injector, pressured to a higher-than-average 200 bar, which allows for clean combustion and improved in fuel economy. The engine meets Euro 6c emission standards, which will be introduced in 2017. This engine will power the new i20 in Europe.

The Kappa 1.4-litre T-GDI is the successor to the Gamma 1.4-litre unit. It is a 1352 cc, 4-cylinder engine. It weighs 87 kg, which is 14 kg lighter than the Gamma 1.4-litre unit. The company claims that it features greater efficiency and power. It has a high-pressure single-scroll turbocharger integrated within the exhaust manifold which Hyundai claims, accounts for improved operational efficiency. The relocated and re-engineered turbo results in improved throttle response time and low-end torque. The engine, which was showcased in the i30 CNG concept car, produces 115 bhp and 206 Nm of torque in CNG mode and is said to emit 87 g/km of CO2 which makes it capable of meeting Euro 6c emission standards.

Hyundai also showcased a new 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission (7DCT) in the i30 CNG concept car. The new gearbox, a first from the company, consists of two dry clutches and an actuator for each clutch. Engine power is transferred independently into the odd and even gear train to always be ready to shift into the next gear without any torque interruption. An external damper improves the noise vibration harshness during driving.
Aditya is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 15:21   #2
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai exhibits new turbo petrol engines at Paris Motor Show

Wonderful! The 1.0 Kappa T-GDI is just what the new i20 needs. Not only is it more powerful and torquey when compared to the 1.4 Kappa/Gamma, it's also eligible for the lower excise slab (unlike the 1.4 Kappa & 1.4 Gamma engines). And it's bound to be more fuel efficient as well! I hope Hyundai replace the current 1.2 Kappa with the 1.0 Kappa T-GDI, at least when the Elite i20 gets a facelift. It would also be better if they launch this engine with the upcoming Automatic version of the i20.

The 1.4 Kappa T-GDI, which basically seems to be a 4-cyl version of the 3-cyl 1.0 Kappa T-GDI, should certainly produce more power (>140PS) and torque in petrol mode, when compared to the 115PS it churns out in CNG mode. This engine would be ideal for the facelifted Elantra, and maybe the next generation Verna as well.

Bring 'em on, Hyundai India!

Last edited by RSR : 7th October 2014 at 15:24.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 15:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
It would also be better if they launch this engine with the upcoming Automatic version of the i20.

Bring 'em on, Hyundai India!
I do not think these engines are for India. See the text below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The engine meets Euro 6c emission standards, which will be introduced in 2017. This engine will power the new i20 in Europe.

I will be very surprised if Hyundai brings them to India any sooner, as the cost here would be high, also are our fuels Euro6 compliant yet, for that matter are they even Euro 5 Complaint?
dass is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 16:18   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Hyundai also showcased a new 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission (7DCT) in the i30 CNG concept car. The new gearbox, a first from the company, consists of two dry clutches and an actuator for each clutch.
Did I hear someone say DSG? These Koreans are master copycats.
Old 7th October 2014, 16:52   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
I do not think these engines are for India.
Sadly many efficient mills do not make it to India. Every maker has motors more efficient, technologically advanced and powerful than what reaches our shore. Not talking about monster V8, V10 motors but a simple twin turbo sub 2.0L motor, say like VW 1.4 TSI Twin turbo. However Ford's Ecoboost engine did make it to India.

Going by our market dynamics, I cant think of any other reason than "economy" factor which reduces the engine options as compared to that is on offer in other markets. Is there any other reason you guys can think of why such engines don't make it here?
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 17:31   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
Well I'd term it more as jumping on the bandwagon a little late, but I wouldn't use the term copycats. The car industry as a whole worked in collaboration with independent parts makers during the time the industry was evolving in early 1900's. The car makers were then more interested in results than competition. I like to read on certain topics about mechanical aspects of cars, specially those that intrigue me & double clutch was one of them. Basically the gist of it is that a French military engineer drew a loose pattern of the dual clutch layout but a prototype was never made though Peugeot/Citroen had the drawings.

The first working prototype with old fashioned analog/digital circuitry was first made by a US company BorgWarner and fitted in Fords. Later they gave the license to Porsche. Porsche and VW, though independent entities at that time, had technical collaborations when it came to development of war tanks/people movers. BMW wasn't part of this because their purpose then was building advanced turbine engines. Thus evolved the dual clutch with computerised controls we have today. Each technology has passed through many hands before they have been perfected like the high-torque DcT by Fiat owned Magneti Marelli. Likewise every other car maker have adopted this technology with a little tweaking of their own.

In a way Mercedes Benz has the most number of innovations in technical aspects followed by BMW and Ford so every other new kid in the block has been a 'tweaker' of what they invented. Hyundai was never a pioneer but they started being a car-maker for the value oriented in Asian market. Their success in Europe/America was never expected but has happened in the end. I do feel they lift external designs from high-end brands but nowadays that's what most affordable brands are doing to create appeal.
dark.knight is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 11:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

A turbo charged Hyundai with a twin clutch gearbox sounds interesting. Hope it makes it to our soil. The i20 and cars that sit above from the Hyundai stable can really use these new engines and a dual clutch transmission. I've never found Hyundai petrol's exciting to drive. Hope the turbo's can change that.

Look forward to experience their first attempt at dual clutch transmission units too. No car manufacturer has been able to build a auto box as good as VW's dual shift gearbox.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 15:25   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Knowing Hyundai, they will very well offer the turbo-petrols here. Remember, other than Mercedes-Benz, Hyundai was the only car manufacturer selling common-rail diesels at one time (with the Accent CRDi).

Although, keeping their initial cost & potentially higher upkeep cost, I don't think turbo-petrols are going to replace naturally-aspirated petrols anytime soon. The small 1.2L petrol motors deliver enough power & efficiency for mass market needs, and are clean enough to meet our emission norms too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
To add to what Dark.knight posted, at least Hyundai's dual-clutch will be reliable. VAG can't get it right even after 10 years of selling the DSG.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 15:33   #9
BHPian

About time these engines rolled out! Now it isnt just VW who has a small turbocharged gas engine! It would be really impressive if hyundai can manage to bring them to our shores. I am sure with decent service backing here, they will be able to sell them quite well. Plonk one into an i20 and you have a hot hatch!
Old 8th October 2014, 16:45   #10
BHPian

I too hope that bring it to India. We really deserve better engines. Like GTO pointed out these engines won't replace NA traditional ones but will most likely compliment them.

But, now I have a small doubt. I guess it's safe to assume that India is one of hyundais main markets. They manage to sell large volumes here. Its also safe to assume that hyundai would've spent a huge amount in developing these two engines. In that case why should they hesitate to bring the engine to India, where it will sell definitely and recover the expenditure even though Indian emission norms doesn't mandate an advanced engine like this?

And about the dual clutch gear box, reliability issues are inherent to them and it has more to do with our stop go traffic and dusty and mucky environment. Also driving style to an extent. No manufacturer would want a poorly designed gearbox in the market. What I'm trying to say is DSG horrors faced by VAG cars is not necessarily entirely their fault. I'd reserve my judgement on hyundai DSG till its proven in market.

Thanks
Sunny
Old 8th October 2014, 16:47   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
To add to what Dark.knight posted, at least Hyundai's dual-clutch will be reliable. VAG can't get it right even after 10 years of selling the DSG.
Well I appreciate VW for introducing the DSG in India, given how the 1.6 failed. I don't see any competition to the TSI + DSG combo, at least for enthusiasts. And from what I have been reading on the forum and elsewhere on the www, VW seems to have sorted out most of the problems with the DSG.

So let's give ze poor Germans a break shall we?
Old 8th October 2014, 18:37   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Bang on! Plainly introducing 'x' technology, which is tested under a specific climatic and road conditions, will NOT suffice. I haven't seen any reports of VAG testing DSG extensively in India, before they introduced this in our market.

On the other hand, looking at Hyundai's history, we can very well bet that Hyundai will not commit such a blunder, especially when they are aiming for the top spot in market share.
Crazy_cars_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 18:51   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
About time these engines rolled out! Now it isnt just VW who has a small turbocharged gas engine!
Not just VW, but a lot of companies including our own Tata already have small turbocharged petrols! (Tata revotron 1.2L, Ford ecoboost 1L, Fiat TJet 1.4)

Hyundai will just be the first non-Indian Asian manufacturer to get bring these engines to India if they decide to introduce them here.
SR71-Blackbird is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 19:11   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Knowing Hyundai, they will very well offer the turbo-petrols here. Remember, other than Mercedes-Benz, Hyundai was the only car manufacturer selling common-rail diesels at one time (with the Accent CRDi).

Those engines were actually sourced from VM Motori - then a Daimler company till 2007!

Another point is that Hyundai would have learnt from VW's mistakes by now!
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 19:57   #15
BHPian

Quote:

I agree with GTO, we may see the i20 or newer hatches having a turbo, Hyundai is good at filling the blanks and currently there is a void for a performance hatch fromthe Hyundai stable.
On one hand while they have taken customer feedback positively and are working towards sorting suspensions, they have this motor they can plonk in the i20 elite which will transform the sluggish car.
I believe their Russelsheim design center is there to perfect whatever flaws their cars have, its no joke to be among the top manufacturers in a short span with no history behind them.
I must accept that though I am not a fan of all their products, I like the company and though they copy, they seem to offer well made products to the end customers, something the Europeans/Jap's with all their technical superiority still struggle with.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks