Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2014, 11:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

2016 Jaguar F-Type to get a 6-speed manual transmission

Jaguar has officially confirmed that the 2016 F-Type will be available with a manual transmission. The 6-speed manual will be jointly developed with ZF, which also made the 8-speed "QuickShift" automatic currently offered on the F-Type.

Jaguar will initially offer the transmission option only on the V6 rear wheel drive variants of the 2-door. The new transmission will be available on the coupe as well as the convertible models of the F-Type. The aluminium cased gearbox will make manual F-Types around 10 kgs lighter than the automatics. The manual F-Type should also be more affordable. With other manufacturers including Porsche moving towards automatics, Jaguar is hoping to please the purists with the addition of the manual transmission.

2016 Jaguar F-Type to get a 6-speed manual transmission-05_jaguar_ftype_16my.jpg

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 1216
Size:  286.5 KB

2016 Jaguar F-Type to get a 6-speed manual transmission-v8exhaust.jpg
Additionally, Jaguar has confirmed that the 2016 F-Type will use an Electric Power Steering (EPS), which will replace the current hydraulic system. Apart from the new 6-speed manual transmission, the 2016 F-Type will also be made available in an AWD guise.

Name:  FWDAWD.png
Views: 1077
Size:  340.0 KB

Last edited by Aditya : 20th November 2014 at 11:45.
Tushar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 17:56   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2016 Jaguar F-Type to get a 6-speed manual transmission

Am sure that India's (where Jaguars owner is based) and UK's (where Jaguar is based) fascination with manuals had something to do with this move .

A great differentiator from AT-obsessed Porsche & the Italians, and a brilliant move. While I'm a bit disappointed that the MT isn't announced with the 8-cylinder (period), this is still an awesome development. Hopefully, it does well and some other manufacturers are forced to 'go back' to MTs as well.
Old 20th November 2014, 20:32   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Whereas I love my MT in lighter sports cars on these types of cars I find it just not necessary. The AT is really nice and the notion that you could out shift the AT is just not realistic for most drivers. These cars have a lot of power and torque, best leave it to the AT. But each to its own.

Try and drive these high power cars in dense traffic in any town and within 30 minutes you wished you had ticked the AT box on the order form. Love the AT on my XJR!

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 20:42   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Whereas I love my MT in lighter sports cars on these types of cars I find it just not necessary. The AT is really nice and the notion that you could out shift the AT is just not realistic for most drivers. These cars have a lot of power and torque, best leave it to the AT. But each to its own.

Try and drive these high power cars in dense traffic in any town and within 30 minutes you wished you had ticked the AT box on the order form. Love the AT on my XJR!

Jeroen
I agree that barges certainly don't need a manual. Most of yesteryear's sports car have become today's barges. Best example is BMW M5. Who would have thought an M5 would weigh 2 tonnes!!!

But f type is a sports car, and surely that does warrant a manual isn't it?
nakul0888 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 20:55   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
I agree that barges certainly don't need a manual. Most of yesteryear's sports car have become today's barges. Best example is BMW M5. Who would have thought an M5 would weigh 2 tonnes!!!

But f type is a sports car, and surely that does warrant a manual isn't it?

The F type weighs 1600 kg, not really the weight I associate with a sports car. So its only about 0.5 seconds faster then my XJR, but in the sub 5 second time that might be considered a lot?

Having said that, I think the F is probably the best looking car I have seen come onto the market for a long time. Took one for a spin a few months ago in the UK. Really nice, although the ride does take some getting used to, I thought it was a bit harsh.

Im going to get me one in the near future if and when I move back to Europe. But it will be an AT!

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2014, 04:29   #6
BHPian

Thank God for Jaguar for this. I hope this sets a precedent for others to follow.

BMWs tag line "The ultimate driving machine" sounds so hollow without a manual in their lineup. I always wanted a 328i with a stick shift.

Last edited by GTO : 21st November 2014 at 16:40. Reason: Typo
Old 4th December 2014, 23:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

Jaguar Releases a Manual for... the Manual Gearbox: How to Drive a Stick

PDF attached.

Source:

jaguar-releases-a-manual-for-the-manual-gearbox-how-to-drive-a-stick-89649.pdf
Old 17th December 2014, 22:17   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

Jeroen
I agree with you to a certain extent.

A friend of mine had bought a V6S and he says the 8-Speed ZF transmission is a joy to use. Not only is it convenient in traffic, it allows you to concentrate on driving it quick. A manual will be far more demanding.

But if it's purely your weekend car, a manual would be great for the proper ol' school sports-car experience IMO.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks