Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2016, 10:54   #31
Team-BHP Support

re: Supposed sketch of Maruti's new entry-level hatchback?

Looks like a scaled down version of the ugly duckling, the Chrysler Cruiser.

I hope such a car doesn't enter production.

The 2015 Suzuki Alto JDM (Japanese Market)-2001ptcruiser.jpg

Source: http://www.wikimotiveblogs.com/kenda...pt-cruiser.jpg
Old 23rd March 2016, 10:57   #32
Senior - BHPian

Where will Maruti squeeze this car now?

Alto is anyways their bread and butter and already seling at Rs. 2.45 lacs onwards.
With dealer discounts round the clock, the Alto is an extremely VFM but at close to 2.1X lacs for a base model.

So, will this compete with the Nano? AFAIK, Nano too isnt pretty far off from the Alto pricing.

Retro looks cool. But now with easy finances and higher aspirational values of a normal middle class person, a low cost car, even from Maruti can either be hugely successful but at the cost of cannibalizing Alto and Wagon R sales.
Old 23rd March 2016, 11:10   #33
NPX
BHPian

Though I am totally against round headlamps in the name of retro design, however, the front facia and side profile gives me a feeling that Maruti Suzuki wants to name it as ZEN. We have a huge fan base of the iconic Zen and if they name it the same I'm sure this car can sell in good numbers.

Also, the JDM Alto claims FE of 37 kmpl with 660cc motor which surely will be icing on the ​cake.
Old 23rd March 2016, 15:03   #34
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2015 Suzuki Alto JDM (Japanese Market)

If the Lapin is going to come to India, I guess it will come with watered down Interiors.
The 2015 Suzuki Alto JDM (Japanese Market)-images-2.jpg
The 2015 Suzuki Alto JDM (Japanese Market)-suzuki_alto_lapin_201513.jpg
We won't be getting the touch screen I guess, may be we will, if Kwid can !

The 2015 Suzuki Alto JDM (Japanese Market)-images-1.jpg
Looks roomy !

The 2015 Suzuki Alto JDM (Japanese Market)-15060427872grjcg.jpg
Retro Mini Cooperish design is eyecatching.

Image source : Google
Attached Thumbnails
The 2015 Suzuki Alto JDM (Japanese Market)-images.jpg  

fz_rider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2016, 16:05   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
If the Lapin is going to come to India, I guess it will come with watered down Interiors.
Will Maruti position this as a competitor to Kwid? Or is it Ignis's duty to take on Kwid?

A floating roof and two-tone exterior will attract some customers from Kwid, I guess.
Old 5th April 2016, 08:58   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti is rumored to looking to bring the Lapin to the India market. Likely to take on KWID in the Indian Market!

Now leaked images of its interior dash appears online.

The 2015 Suzuki Alto JDM (Japanese Market)-lapin.jpg

Quote:
The small hatchback will have retro styling and at the same time will have one of the most spacious interiors too. The Alto Lapin will be a revolutionary affordable Maruti product for India, that will be stylish, affordable, feature loaded and at the same time even spacious
The Alto Lapin will be powered by a 660cc petrol engine that will be soon introduced in India. Maruti Suzuki is looking at downsizing its engines and the Alto Lapin will be one of the first to get this engine
This could be the next product that could be sold through the Premium outlets - Nexa.

Quote:
The Alto Lapin will be manufactured in Suzuki’s new upcoming plant in Gujarat. It seems that the new Alto will be exported from India to several other markets
http://motoroctane.com/news/27402-ma...eriors-spotted

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th April 2016 at 09:00.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 09:08   #37
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Supposed sketch of Maruti's new entry-level hatchback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
The car in the image is the JDM Alto Lapin:

Attachment 1489188

I don't know if the retro look would work in the A segment, but the 660cc 3-pot petrol engine should be a fuel efficiency champ! The turbo-charged version may even offer decently peppy performance.
I see no reason to be unappreciative of this vehicle.
If Sir Alec Issigonis changed the face of motoring with his MINI and the Fiat 500 made motoring accessible to generations of Scooterists and the M800 similarly changed motoring forever in India, then this little "retro-chic" car, will also do its job although it may appeal to a lesser number of people on this Forum.

Lets also remember that the current Mini and Fiat 500 etc have all cashed in on the Retro Chic boom!

And today the Renault KWID and Mahindra KUV and Datsun and so on, all have a clear market. No reason why this little JDM Alto Lapin should not too!

The poor Nano of course failed to set any charts on fire. Same with the Reva or E20.

But this Lapin, being a Maruti at first and looking quite quirky-cute, definitely has a chance with an entry level buyer. Why, if it comes with adequate safety (even as an option) and AMT, it will make a super little second/ third or even fourth car for any regular household...ideal for College going kids etc.

Moreover, with this shape and overall looks, this car can easily be a mule which one can customise nicely (pimp it up, if you want to use the new fangled slang)...
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 13:46   #38
Senior - BHPian

Maruti has tried its hand at the "retro" look before. Anyone remember the Zen Classic?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/145295.jpg

While the Alto Lapin is cute (almost makes me feel like saying chooo cuuuute, like a teenage girl ) I am not so sure about its appeal in the Indian market. That said, I would still like to see it offered - it takes all sorts to make a world!
Old 5th April 2016, 16:09   #39
Senior - BHPian

Cute Retro looks are not a problem. Even the Matiz was. However, this does not seem to have proportions that appeal. Its not looking attractive and that is the problem.
Old 5th April 2016, 18:05   #40
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Maruti has tried its hand at the "retro" look before. Anyone remember the Zen Classic?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/145295.jpg

While the Alto Lapin is cute (almost makes me feel like saying chooo cuuuute, like a teenage girl ) I am not so sure about its appeal in the Indian market. That said, I would still like to see it offered - it takes all sorts to make a world!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Cute Retro looks are not a problem. Even the Matiz was. However, this does not seem to have proportions that appeal. Its not looking attractive and that is the problem.
Looks are very subjective. I like the look but perhaps others don't.

Yes, the Retro Zen with all its horrible Chrome (trying to relive the great Chrome laden American machines of the 1950's) was a real flop.

However, to me, as per the pics shown here, the Lapin does look cute as compared to that ugly old Zen Classic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks