Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2014, 22:31   #16
BHPian

Re: Hyundai hires BMW M Performance chief engineer

Hyundai was no where a decade ago and look where they are now! Swift progress and now all they need is somebody from Toyota for reliability and Fiat for aesthetics and build quality. Until then, I will look elsewhere.
Old 23rd December 2014, 23:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post

Development centre can be in Europe.
Hyundai and Kia have a development center in Rüsselsheim, Germany, so that move is possible. But knowing how these Germans think, I'm sure it would not be an easy decision for them, unless offered with a fat pay hike.

Germans are "usually" very reluctant changing jobs unless they see very substantial benefits (take the example of Albert who worked for 30 odd years). And moving to a Korean brand from BMW M, ahem

Quote:
Just ride or just handling - yes. The balance/ compromise between these:- part engineering, part black magic!
I was about to say the same thing - 'black magic' , before I read your reply. So true it is, ride and handling is very much black magic, everyone knows and talks about it, but very few master it.

Prost
Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 23rd December 2014 at 23:45.
Old 23rd December 2014, 23:51   #18
BHPian

Hurrayy!!
Finally we're going to have some beastly Hyundai's.

But then again this news doesn't seem as exciting to India does it? Considering the fact that our low segment Hyundai cars would seem utterly ludicrous if given the "M" treatment. You heard that Hyundai? Its time to bring in the big guns and the Genesis coupe would be ideal to receive this sports Treatment.

Although the Genesis coupe track model packs a pretty good value for money punch as well and can even give a Mustang a run for its money. Not to forget the tasty 3.6L V6 already existing under the hood and those Brembo Discs!!
Now imagine adding a twin turbo to that and putting on a "M" badge.

And see its sweet Power/Weight ratio trump and smoke the M3 itself in half the price! Considering the badge off course.

Now that dialogue in the movie Fast and Furious Tokyo drift can finally be proved wrong!

"What you think i'm gonna let you roll in a Hyundai?"
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai hires BMW M Performance chief engineer-genesiscoupe001.jpg  

Starfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2014, 16:44   #19

Hi All,

I have to agree it is indeed a very smart move on part of Hyundai Motors Management to have someone who led the “M” team (if I could address the BMW Performance Division so) take even a portion of reins of the performance bit. It could spell trouble for a lot of other manufacturers.
If I factor in the Hyundai i10 at home, which my then fiancée and now better half brought me as a surprise – I just did not like the choice. I was of the option to use it for a year and then change considering the “gift factor”. I loathed its steering feedback and its sub-par build quality. Well life went on.. Got married, got a home, so did not have the “right” opportunity for changing the car which I've been using it for precisely 4 years as on today (Happy Birthday to the car?) and have to admit a few things:
- Extremely reliable with not a blip or any sort of trouble in the last 47447kms as on today!
- Service as per schedule – well more or less, the lazy me!
- Had done at least 4 round trips to Kerala from Hyderabad with most of the journey being non-stop – Hyd-Bng-Mvkl – with breaks only for fuel for both the car and me 
- With an exception of a few flat tires, never had any issue what so ever.
Well I have to personally admit Hyundai is for me as reliable as the big “T” is for a lot of people. I did manage to drive the new “Hyundai Elite i20” and have to agree the handling seems to a huge improvement over the old i10. The build quality and attention to detail has improved extremely well. The styling has improved by a tonne load !
With the way Hyundai has been able to improve consistently in the last few years, I guess the day would not be very far wherein it would be at par with the likes of the Japanese for reliability and with the new head at performance division, may be Germans for performance. I guess I am too early to call it out. Let’s wait and watch !

Mods.. This is my first post. Please do the needful and provide me with appropriate feedback and call out where necessary. I am still "breaking in" in terms of writing and am hoping to be a free revving engine in a few months from now!
mylife_myrules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2014, 05:14   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
True.

Brand: Hyundai was unknown in the 80s. Today, everyone knows Hyundai. They were a bargain basement nameplate earlier...today, people pay a premium for their product.

Reliability: Started off with poor quality & reliability. Realised that the strategy isn't sustainable. Today, their cars are as reliable as the Japanese.

Design: From ugly ducklings to cars like the new i20 & Elantra.

Compared to what they've achieved in the above 3 areas, improving the handling is like a walk in the park! The easiest of the lot...
Absolutely! Today people are paying a premium for i20! Its probably the costliest hatch in its segment and still selling so well!

On reliability front, the fact that they are now as reliable as japs is quiet an achievement from being unreliable at one point of time. Something what the Germans haven't been able to active yet. Reliability plays a huge factor in buying decision. I Think Toyota sell their cars by mostly banking on their reliability. Nobody buys a Toyota because they are fascinated with the looks of their cars (except people who have fascination of huge SUVs like Fortuner) or Amazed by their powerful Engines and great handling cars. They buy for that given peace of mind you get with a Toyota. It commands a premium for that bullet proof reliability. Hyundai being almost there is quite a achievement.

As far as their designs are considered, I think they are right up there. The Fluidic Verna, then the Elantra and now the i20 Elite and the new Santa Fe. very attractive cars in their segment. They are going at the right direction and are ahead of Japs on this front I think. I personally love the way the new i20 and the Santa Fe looks. From last gen ugly looking Verna to the current design theme, they have come a long way and pretty quick too!

So now they have great looking cars, which are quite reliable and have reasonably good Engines. only missing area is handling now and which they are working on and will show some good results now soon. Think Hyundai is soon going to be what Toyota and Honda were once.

Last edited by magikrider : 27th December 2014 at 05:32.
Old 27th December 2014, 07:40   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Hyundai and Kia have a development center in Rüsselsheim, Germany, so that move is possible.
Hyundai Motorsport is based out of Alzenau, Germany. And as performance division and motorsports go hand in hand, I think its safe to assume the N division will be based out of Germany. But, Biermann' team is going to travel a lot to Korea for sure.
Old 27th December 2014, 08:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai hires BMW M Performance chief engineer

That's now an excellent move. Hyundai has been quick to sort out their design and reliability issues and now i sure they will get their suspensions and handling sorted double quick.
Hyundai's have greatly improved on their handling as well. I drive a 2103 Elantra and though it's not the best handling car it doesn't feel that disconcerting either. The previous gen Honda City (the oddly shaped one) was a real supermarket trolley. Looks like Hyundai will give the Germans a run for their money if they get their act right in terms of suspensions,steering and good and quick auto boxes.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 27th December 2014 at 08:38.
Old 27th December 2014, 10:57   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Ride and handling is very much black magic, everyone knows and talks about it, but very few master it.
Dear Pratheesh - hello after a very long time!

You are absolutely correct. There are scores of vehicle evaluation engineers but very few have what is known as "VEHICLE BEHAVIORAL FEEL"! Many times on the test track, people (who are supposed to matter) don't even know how to sit properly in the drivers' seat, how can they even think of driving, let alone testing, and that too for ride and handling? Oh come on now! .

On performance brand head hiring, this is the result of "absolutely correct intent" on the part of the manufacturer. Today, "product performance" has become center stage. As roads have become better and speeds are higher than ever before, ride and handling has become the primary differentiator between a delightful drive and a total disaster. Tires play the most significant role in this regard.

For India, the time has come when everything should not be driven by cost and the decisions should be taken by those who are more than competent enough to take them and then demand that the specifications are met in production parts. The way our country works, this is easier said than done. Therefore, there is a long way to go for Indian cars before they too are amongst the best in the world!

Reality check: I bought a brand new AltoK10 in August this year. Even with a "Japanese" design and "everything as per drawing" (hopefully, ahem!), the car feels as if it is running on 4 marshmallows, not on four tires! The make is JK. The size is 165/65R13. HaHaHa! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

PS - my friend in Pune has just bought the new i20 top end with 16" tires! Let me test it, I'll tell you.
Old 31st May 2016, 10:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

The Hyundai i30 N will launch in 2017 as the first road car manufactured by the Korean firm's performance sub-division, N, boss Albert Biermann has confirmed.

Based on the next-generation i30, the Hyundai i30 N will get a 2.0-litre turbocharged engine, and Biermann hinted it could have a top speed of around 155mph.

It will also be offered with a track-focused performance package, which will further boost engine performance.

The car is expected to be priced under the £30,000 mark, with Hyundai stressing N division's focus will be on "affordable performance".

Hyundai hires BMW M Performance chief engineer-20160524_i30_turbo.jpg

i30 N hot hatch
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2016, 08:19   #25
Senior - BHPian

A good write up on which letter of the alphabet is the fastest.

Has Hyundai picked the right name for its go-faster N cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocar UK
But there’s logic to N. Aston Martin has dabbled with it. It’s not a particularly fast-sounding letter, but when you put Aston Martin in front of it, that tends not to matter. For Aston, N24 signified its Nürburgring 24 Hours race success.

That may well be why Hyundai has opted for it, too. It has a facility near the Nürburgring, the German race track used as a durability circuit more than a ride and handling track by most manufacturers, while a development i30N was raced in the Nürburgring 24 Hours the other weekend. N’s boss, Albert Biermann, used to work for BMW’s M division, so I suppose, logically, N is one step on from there, too.

But the real intrigue is not in the i30N’s name but how good it will be. Hyundai is already massively successful but it’s nowhere near the end of its ambitions, and it thinks a sporting sub-brand will improve your perception of it.

Insiders say they’re incredibly serious about it and they want the i30N to be as good to drive as any £30,000 hot hatch. If it is, that will be remarkable. And maybe N will start to sound fast after all.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2016, 08:27   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

The first proper luxury-sports sedan from the stable will be the Genesis G70 (3 Series competitor) as can be heard from the man himself in the video below :

dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 07:00   #27
Senior - BHPian

The i30 N was at the 2017 Nurburgring - 24 Hours.

Most Viewed