Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2006, 11:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

camaro/ challenger finally in the womb.

Read the news fresh in the morning. Gm has given green light to camaro. then went to the dodge website and what do i see, challenger is in production.

here are the official headlines

"Camaro to roar back on scene in 2009"
" return will result in 'cannibalization' of gm sports car lines, observers say"
"Chief Executive Rick Wagoner hope a return of the camaro muscle car in 2009 will help end General Motors US market-share slide"

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/

http://www.dodge.com/en/challenger/index.html

Old 12th August 2006, 12:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

As usual, the Challenger will appear on the scene much before the Camaro. GM always tries to play follow up. It waits until the launch of the full size V8 engined sedan like the 300C, before starting to offer V8s in their own. (Though 5.3L 300hp and FWD dont go well together).
Anyway, the Challenger might initially outengine the Camaro (6.1L 425 Hp vs 6.0L 380-400 hp). Unless, ofcourse, GM decide to offer the LS7 as the top engine option. Then it would be a muscle car unlike any other.
Old 12th August 2006, 12:16   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

They may not be sharp handlers, they may not have great interiors, they may use outdated engine / suspension technologies....but muscle cars always get a smile on my face. They have sheer appeal and character!Way to go GM! The mustang better watch out.

The only disadvantage may be the timing. With gas prices flying the wrong side of $3 per gallon, Americans have woken up to fuel efficiency. How much are these guzzlers going to sell?
Old 12th August 2006, 12:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
The only disadvantage may be the timing. With gas prices flying the wrong side of $3 per gallon, Americans have woken up to fuel efficiency. How much are these guzzlers going to sell?
Well, they have cylinder deactivation thingies to go with them. So they might not be total guzzlers.
Old 12th August 2006, 14:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo
Well, they have cylinder deactivation thingies to go with them. So they might not be total guzzlers.
One thing that Honda has in the V6 Accords in other markets, but India was left out.
Old 12th August 2006, 20:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

forgot to add. the third American Icon is also all set to lauch the

Ford Shelby Mustang to replace the top performance car category left open by the GT. WOnder how a mustang can replace a GT?

http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/mus...11152boldmoves

Old 12th August 2006, 22:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
Ford Shelby Mustang to replace the top performance car category left open by the GT. WOnder how a mustang can replace a GT?
It uses the same block as the GT(5.4 L, 32Valve), but in cast iron, with the same supercharger setup. Pumps out 500hp. And it undercuts the Z06 significantly in price. Excellent for bragging rights.
Old 13th August 2006, 05:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo
It uses the same block as the GT(5.4 L, 32Valve), but in cast iron, with the same supercharger setup. Pumps out 500hp. And it undercuts the Z06 significantly in price. Excellent for bragging rights.
Seriously how can you compare a sports car to a cruizer like mustang..I mean it would have been ok if you would have compared it to the regular C6...but Z06...jezzz...HP match up is not the only thing that matters, the regular C6 whopped the @$$ of a Shelby, the Z06 will murder it like it was standing still, Z06 is a sports car, mustang is not a sports car but a cruizer, whoever considers a mustang a sports car really needs to revisit what it means to be a sports car..even the 997 TT is not a sports car, its a cruizers, GT3 and GT2 are the only sports are from porsche(save cgt ofcourse) mustang and corvettes are not in the same league, mustang and camro are..mustang is like 650 lbs heavier than a Z06 and about 350lb heavier than the vette...mustangs are very cheap when it comes to quality, really really cheap..ask me, for a second I had considered a mustang when it came out...thank my good stars that I choose to wait a little...you would think just cuz I own a vette i am defending the car, but seriously is no comparison..not even close, its like comparing a sonata to a S class..I am true car enthuziasts so brand loyalty means squot to me..and hence i am telling you mustang not matter with 500 hp or not can not in its dream be a sports car, its a cruizer with a lot of power..

as for the camaro and challenger, I was hoping for challanger to be a good looking car, but it turned out that the sexiest car in this segment is the camaro and it looks mind blowing, this time it will share some racing heritage from the vette to get better handling...lets see how it turns out, it seems like it will have 3 variants, V6, V8 and the Z28 with the 505hp engine from the Z06 but it wouldnt be even close to a Z06...

Btw Ford GT replacement should also be out in few years...the Shelby GR-1 was it??

Last edited by 1Day : 13th August 2006 at 05:38.
Old 13th August 2006, 08:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

@1day : I know the Mustang is not a sports car by any means. Hence I said it was good for bragging rights only!
Old 13th August 2006, 17:35   #10
BHPian

Its about freakin time!!!!!!!!!

This has just put another big smile on my face...hope they launch the camaro in Australia....think they might call it the Monaro....but will put a deposit down on one for sure....(i am guessing would be around $50,000 - AUD)..purely because of the new look......SWEEEEET!!!

I think they might (should to improve handling) even test and develop it at the n-ring in Germany...like many other US cars...

Last edited by R32_GTR : 13th August 2006 at 17:36.
Old 15th August 2006, 13:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

While Camaro and Chellenger are good to have cars in the stable, they are not really number rakers.

A number raking car like a honda civic/mazda 3 and toyota camry/honda accord is what Gm and Chrysler need to focus on.
Old 15th August 2006, 20:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
While Camaro and Chellenger are good to have cars in the stable, they are not really number rakers.

A number raking car like a honda civic/mazda 3 and toyota camry/honda accord is what Gm and Chrysler need to focus on.
That is true, besides some cadys and vette and may be some newer designs of solstice and other saturn cars, GM really really needs to learn...but I really dont care for GM as long as they make the vettes quicker than everyonoe else...
Old 4th December 2007, 20:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

The very strange-looking man over at The Hollywood Extra is claiming he knows the start dates for production of the new Chevy Camaro. According to this Burlapp character, the production dates are:February 16th 2009 for the coupe. December 7th 2009 for the convertible

We guess we'll have to wait and see. All we know is that's a very long time between when they first revealed the new muscle car and when it'll finally start leaving the factory floor. It's been so long we almost forgot we'd first seen the concept car at the Detroit Auto Show -- almost two years ago (one year ago for the 'vert)!

Detroit Auto Show: Camaro Production Dates Revealed?

Let the battle of the retro American Muscle cars begin.

Mustang vs Challenger vs Camaro
Old 4th December 2007, 23:44   #14
BHPian

FYI guys the Dodge CHallenger will have a B- Pillar :( so that pillerless look is gone !!
Old 13th December 2007, 09:30   #15
Senior - BHPian

Heres a spy pictures I saw on Autoblog

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks