Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2015, 23:16   #1
BHPian

Porsche will bring turbos to sub-GT3 models!

Woke up to this shocker yesterday.

'The next 911 range update will bring turbos for sub-GT3 models.'
http://www.topgear.com/india/car-new...urbo/itemid-50

Is this the end of the 911 as we know it? Has the need for better economy and cleaner emissions marked the demise of the NA engine?

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 20th January 2015 at 07:46. Reason: From center position to left aligned
rohan_cherian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 09:05   #2
BHPian

re: Porsche will bring turbos to sub-GT3 models!

While this is bad news yes, I shudder to imagine how much more confusing the next 911 naming scheme will be!

911 Carrera turbo(?), 911 turbo turbo

That said, I guess something like this had to happen sometime. The old NA dinosaurs will all die eventually.
Speed.Demon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 09:43   #3
BHPian

re: Porsche will bring turbos to sub-GT3 models!

It isn't surprising considering emission norms have been getting more and more strict every few years.

Plus there is some tax law regarding lower displacement turbo charged engines in places like China, I believe.
It allows lower pricing in such countries, which is a major market now for all the luxury brands.

Even Ferrari are going to plonk a twin turbo'ed V8 in the 458 replacement.
It is speculated that it will be under 4 liters in displacement, yet will deliver power output similar to the McLaren 650S.

So, all in all, I guess we could say that the Normally Aspirated ICE is about to be history, very soon.
I, for one, welcome this move. More power, from lesser capacity, lower emissions, better if not worse fuel economy.

Last edited by sourav9385 : 20th January 2015 at 09:44.
sourav9385 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 15:53   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
While this is bad news yes, I shudder to imagine how much more confusing the next 911 naming scheme will be!

911 Carrera turbo(?), 911 turbo turbo

That said, I guess something like this had to happen sometime. The old NA dinosaurs will all die eventually.
I love how you see the lighter side of things here. A Carrera Turbo? LOL.

I can't help but think of Porsche's potential clientele who'd go for the Carrera over the Turbo for the sheer driving pleasure alone.

I guess this just goes to prove that all good things come to an end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
It isn't surprising considering emission norms have been getting more and more strict every few years.

Plus there is some tax law regarding lower displacement turbo charged engines in places like China, I believe.
It allows lower pricing in such countries, which is a major market now for all the luxury brands.

Even Ferrari are going to plonk a twin turbo'ed V8 in the 458 replacement.
It is speculated that it will be under 4 liters in displacement, yet will deliver power output similar to the McLaren 650S.

So, all in all, I guess we could say that the Normally Aspirated ICE is about to be history, very soon.
I, for one, welcome this move. More power, from lesser capacity, lower emissions, better if not worse fuel economy.
True. But I wish premium car manufacturers took more liberties or just simply put their foot down.

The i8 may be a fantastic car, but doesn't the idea of a 3-pot supercar sound ludicrous to you too?

I can't say that I oppose the trend, I'm all for economy and efficiency, but I think they're taking things a bit too far with the 911, tampering with the very essence of its being.
rohan_cherian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 09:27   #5
BHPian

Re: Porsche will bring turbos to sub-GT3 models!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_cherian View Post
...The i8 may be a fantastic car, but doesn't the idea of a 3-pot supercar sound ludicrous to you too?

It's very exciting, don't you think?

I think it's fantastic that someone has taken this quote - "There is no replacement for displacement" and knocked it out of the park!
Did you know that the Dodge Charger R/T from 2014 has a 5.7L Hemi V8 that generates 370 HP?

And now, we have a 3 cylinder 1.5 L turbocharged petrol engine, coupled with an electric motor that puts out a cumulative 362 HP, which can catapult the car from 0-60 mph in about 4.5 seconds!

So just imagine what the future holds, when a company such as Porsche gets it in their head that all their already quick cars will now be turbocharged!

As Mr. Spock would say - Fascinating!
Old 21st January 2015, 15:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

Forced induction systems are gradually moving from performance enhancers to becoming a necessity. Mercedes-Benz introduced the AMG GT as a 4.0-litre turbo V8 rival to the Porsche 911. It has now been revealed, that the 911 itself will get a turbo-charger as standard from 2016.

Link to Team-BHP news article

Porsche will bring turbos to sub-GT3 models!-image.jpg
Old 21st January 2015, 15:59   #7
BHPian

The Macan already has a full turbocharged range still named Macan, Macan S & Macan Turbo. The Turbo will now be just a variant name & would not indicate the actual thing.
Old 21st January 2015, 21:47   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
Forced induction systems are gradually moving from performance enhancers to becoming a necessity. Mercedes-Benz introduced the AMG GT as a 4.0-litre turbo V8 rival to the Porsche 911. It has now been revealed, that the 911 itself will get a turbo-charger as standard from 2016.

Link to Team-BHP news article

Well, I can only hope that the additional plumbing is worth it and I sincerely hope it doesn't change anything about the Carrera's driveability. If there ever was a definitive 'Everyday Supercar', the Carrera was the one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
The Macan already has a full turbocharged range still named Macan, Macan S & Macan Turbo. The Turbo will now be just a variant name & would not indicate the actual thing.
True that, I guess the Macan range completely slipped my mind. Guess they won't be winning any awards for the nomenclature, then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post

It's very exciting, don't you think?

I think it's fantastic that someone has taken this quote - "There is no replacement for displacement" and knocked it out of the park!
Did you know that the Dodge Charger R/T from 2014 has a 5.7L Hemi V8 that generates 370 HP?

And now, we have a 3 cylinder 1.5 L turbocharged petrol engine, coupled with an electric motor that puts out a cumulative 362 HP, which can catapult the car from 0-60 mph in about 4.5 seconds!

So just imagine what the future holds, when a company such as Porsche gets it in their head that all their already quick cars will now be turbocharged!

As Mr. Spock would say - Fascinating!
It truly is, fascinating and quite a looker, a natural evolution of understated BMW design, which I thought peaked with the E39 and went off on a completely wild tangent with Bangle's fangled designs.

Also, I believe that the i8 is an important car, a milestone perhaps. Combining sportscar performance with hatchback efficiency, it is a mighty, mighty achievement. But it is just a bit too modest for my liking.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks