Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2015, 23:07   #1

Vega: The Sri-Lankan attempt at an Electric Supercar

A Sri-Lankan entrepreneur is leading an effort to bring out a boutique supercar named Vega. Their target is an all-electric supercar with two electric motors powering the rear wheels, giving a total of 900 horsepower and 530 pound-feet of torque, with a 0-60 Mph time of 3.5 seconds.

Here is the link to the BBC article covering the same.

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20150...power-supercar

Here are the renders for the Vega

FRONT:
Vega: The Sri-Lankan attempt at an Electric Supercar-vega-1.jpg

REAR:
Vega: The Sri-Lankan attempt at an Electric Supercar-vega-2.jpg

To me, it looks to be a sort of mash-up of the Sesto Elemento and the Veyron with bits of Audi here and there, but in a more appealing way as compared to India's very own "supercar" (), the DC Avanti.

What are your thoughts?

P.S - This is my first post in the forums. I'm open to criticism if there is anything i could to improve the post (or future posts!).
SteveSR1 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 23:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Vega: The Sri-Lankan attempt at an Electric Supercar

Oh this looks amazing, the front is like some supercar manufacturing company made it.

If this got a 300-400 bhp twin turbo petrol engine or say since I am a diesel head, a 300 bhp, 65-70 kgm churning diesel motor mated to a 6 speed manual transmission, it can probably get a lot of international attention and buyers too.

Very good job.
Old 13th February 2015, 00:20   #3

Here is a YouTube video showing the team behind the car.

Seems to be quite a lot of young graduates/under-grads in the design team. Lot of enthusiam too. Hopefully it'll work out!

Last edited by benbsb29 : 13th February 2015 at 10:32. Reason: Fixing video embed issue.
SteveSR1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2015, 10:03   #4
BHPian

Very interesting. I visited Sri Lanka over the Christmas vacation and they have a really amazing attitude to cars there. First of all the prices are prohibitive. I was told a new nano costs the INR equivalent of 7 lakhs! This means there's a thriving second-hand market and people invest a lot in maintaining their rides. In spite of choking traffic jams in Colombo and terrible interior roads I didn't see a single car driving around with more than a surface scratch or two. Every locality (urban or rural) has automotive repair shops selling individual parts by the hundreds (one guy sells rear view mirrors, the next has bumpers and so on). Therefore, not entirely surprising to me that they should come out with something like this. The Morris Minor also seems to be a popular model and holds its own alongside modern cars, helped by garages specializing in it's repair. The offroading scene is great too.
Attached Thumbnails
Vega: The Sri-Lankan attempt at an Electric Supercar-20141226_152009_lo_res.jpg  

Last edited by ajitkommini : 13th February 2015 at 10:08.
ajitkommini is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th February 2015, 12:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Vega: The Sri-Lankan attempt at an Electric Supercar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSR1 View Post
To me, it looks to be a sort of mash-up of the Sesto Elemento and the Veyron with bits of Audi here and there, but in a more appealing way as compared to India's very own "supercar" (), the DC Avanti.
I hope you have driven the DC Avanti before ''lol''. I have driven one of the prototypes extensively as part of the vehicle development process, and although I would not term it a super car, it is a really well-engineered car and drove really well (plenty fast for most of our roads too).

Disclaimer: I am in no way associated with DC.

Cheers
Viju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2015, 13:26   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
I hope you have driven the DC Avanti before ''lol''. I have driven one of the prototypes extensively as part of the vehicle development process, and although I would not term it a super car, it is a really well-engineered car and drove really well (plenty fast for most of our roads too).

Disclaimer: I am in no way associated with DC.

Cheers
Exactly as you say. I have no doubts that it is fast, but its not a supercar as the manufacturer claims. They should've called it a sportscar instead.
Old 14th February 2015, 12:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Sri Lanka's Supercar!

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20150...power-supercar

I am truly amazed by this electric car. If they can do it, why not us. I am banking on Mahindra's to bring out something better than this.
Old 27th January 2020, 07:41   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Got a different kind of press release from Maersk, so thought of sharing it here.

Vega: The Sri-Lankan attempt at an Electric Supercar-image001.png

Vega: The Sri-Lankan attempt at an Electric Supercar-1-large.jpg

Vega: The Sri-Lankan attempt at an Electric Supercar-2-large.jpg

Vega: The Sri-Lankan attempt at an Electric Supercar-3-large.jpg

Quote:
A.P. Moller - Maersk, the integrated container logistics company, has embarked on a journey that covers the end-to-end logistics of first-ever Sri Lankan made electric supercar Vega EVX that will be unveiled at the Geneva Motor Show 2020 later this year in March. The car built in Colombo, started its journey from the Vega Innovations workshop in the heart of the city and is currently en route Port Rotterdam in the Netherlands from where it will continue all the way to Geneva, Switzerland.

Maersk, with a legacy as a conglomerate within transport and energy, is transforming to become an integrated container logistics company. From operating eight different divisions with a big corporate layer on top, Maersk is now being organized as one company with one frontline organization for Ocean and Logistics & Services businesses which cover all the elements of entire logistical chain.

As part of its end-to-end integrated logistics offerings, Maersk aims to provide logistics on landside in addition to ocean which includes various aspects such as road and rail transportation, documentation, insurances among a lot of other products. Realising this strategy, Maersk Lanka took up the requirements set out by Vega Innovations wherein their electric supercar had to be transported from the workshop it was built in, to the exhibition centre in Geneva and back.

As a part of the solution, Maersk Lanka’s team will manage the entire product journey including Booking Management, Intermodal & Ocean transportation for landside and waterside movement, Warehousing, Customs House Brokerage and regulatory documentation, Value Protect (cargo protection from logistics-related risks), labour management for loading and unloading, as well as third party insurance. With such a unique proposition, Maersk offers its customer the experience of simplifying their logistics by being a single company to deal with for the entire journey of its cargo as well as its reverse logistics. Furthermore, the solution will help the manufacturer in streamlining its overall logistics through the entire journey, cutting down several intermediaries, ensuring safety of cargo and expediting of backend processes.

Commenting on opting Maersk as their logistics partner, Harsha Subasinghe, CodeGen Group CEO and founder of Vega Innovations, said “Shipping of a high-value supercar involves various logistical challenges. It requires a full-service solution with one point of contact from beginning to end to increase the efficiency and lower the workload. Vega EVX is a result of six years of determination of a steadfast team and we are truly relaxed to have found a reliable and trusted end-to-end logistics partner in Maersk to execute this project. The entire journey is being supervised with dedicated teams that constantly monitor our cargo giving full visibility into real-time tracking and this really gives us peace of mind.”

The Vega EVX is powered by a 40 kWh, 540 V liquid-cooled battery pack which puts out 804 hp peak power and 760 Nm peak torque and gets an estimated driving range of 250 kilometres. The supercar reportedly does zero to 100 kmph in just 3.1 seconds.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks