Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2015, 20:39   #16
BHPian

Re: 2015 Skoda Superb : Official Preview

Excellent preview. The car looks fabulous in that shade of grey. I have to say, I am mighty impressed. Skoda has done an excellent job again. Be it the looks, the packaging, or the engines.

Skoda as a company has evolved so much. I am pretty sure, those Skoda jokes are not valid anymore. It will most certainly be able to outsell the 700000 figure.

The attention to detail in this car and your review is amazing. Skoda has been designing excellent cars of-late, be it the New Octavia, Fabia or the mighty Yeti. Unfortunately, Skoda in India is just unable to grip the market. It is plagued by outdated cars, horrendous pricing strategies, and simple disregard for the India market. We still haven't got the new Rapid and Fabia. The Octavia barely gets any kits, and has huge waiting. The service centres simply are negligent.

I have to say, Skoda time and again has been able to better what its elder brother VW does. The Octavia is better than the Jetta, The Superb better than the Passat (for certain).

But I doubt things for Skoda India are going to change. They themselves have planned to place themselves in a niche category, which means, don't expect the new Superb to be competitively priced. I say, it will cost close to the 30 lakh mark.
prakhar1998 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2015, 20:50   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you so much. It was almost like being there . What ever said about Skoda (especially in India), for me, there is some X-Factor and elegance that shines through in every one of their cars. This just takes it to a whole new level
Old 2nd March 2015, 21:01   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Seeing that Octavia Elegance AT cost around 24.6 Lacs OTR, i am guessing the base model will probably hit the 30 Big One OTR price.
Old 2nd March 2015, 21:02   #19
Senior - BHPian

What a clever little big car this is.

Its got more features than an E, and really useful ones too - quite unlike some manufacturers we know that throw in a ton of barely functioning gizmos. What is obvious is the serious amount of thought that has gone into each feature - I loved the removable trunk-lamp/torch, something I wished SUV manufacturers would provide given their 'outdoor' positioning. The swing-out trailer hitch is another. You have to give credit to a manufacturer that has taken the trouble to think on your behalf - to the extent of relocating the famous umbrellas to a more sensible position.

The styling is a tasteful study in understated elegance, too. Overall this is a potential giant-killer car - comfortably punching its way 2 segments above its own.
Steeroid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2015, 21:28   #20
BHPian

That's a fantastic preview, Rehaan. The GIFs are a neat touch!

I hope they expedite the launch lest their Indian clientele loses their patience or the competition goes one up on them.
Old 2nd March 2015, 21:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant review of a magnificent car! Rated 5 stars!

Skoda has really improved the looks of the Superb. So far the Accord was my favorite on the looks front in that segment, but now this one has smitten me. I could never imagine that a car could have so many features. To name a few, a tablet holder, a removable boot light, an air compressor, 2 umbrellas, et al.

I was waiting eagerly for DW TV (German TV) to review the new Superb on March 4th, but team-bhp has beaten them to it.

I wonder how the top-spec version will compare to the outgoing AWD v6 3.6 liter version. Let us see how many versions make it to India. Fingers crossed!
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2015, 21:58   #22
BHPian

Brilliantly covered Rehaan, I can see this can be another smash hit from the Skoda stables, Skoda definitely knows how to make desirable cars, even if this car is yet to be launched I already get the feeling this is one to own, I guess its the same with many, of course the launch price is all together another thing. Thank you for covering the finer points so beautifully Rehaan.
Old 2nd March 2015, 22:37   #23
Team-BHP Support

Awesome preview Rehaan!

What a car! I doubt how many of these clever features would trickle down to the Indian variants but regardless, the new generation Superb looks amazing and sheds the looooong limo-esque image. Some of the features are very thoughtful - like the removable boot light-cum-torch, the telescopic plastic cover for the boot struts, the tablet mount and the 230V AC socket. And they aren't very expensive to implement either. I only wish an analog clock made it to the dash somewhere just like the Passat.

Thank you so much for being there when the car was unveiled. You did an amazing job with the W222 S Class and ditto with this one too. Our forum is definitely going places!
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2015, 00:33   #24
BHPian

Excellent preview Rehaan Sir. These sort of threads deserve a sixth star in addition to the fifth.

Now for some wishful thinking - wish Skoda could launch the next gen Rapid at 75% the size, 75% price and 75% features of this Superb car!! Guess some dreams would always remain unfulfilled :-(
y2ksrs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2015, 08:25   #25
Senior - BHPian

EXCELLENT review Rehaan. We all attended the launch along with you, like literally.

The attention to detail was so meticulous.

The car on the other hand has so much goodies and looks SO FANTASTIC.
Old 3rd March 2015, 09:01   #26
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for sharing the preview Rehaan. Wonderful read!

The car looks to be a winner in all aspects. Earlier with the Octavia and now with Superb, it looks like they went back to clean and proportionate design language of first generation models. Even the omission of the twindoor bootlid could be to get the proportions right.

In India I expect this to be a big game-changer in its segment, provided they do sufficient CKD kit allocation to our market. At this moment I am not too positive about it, considering the way they handled the so-called legend (Octavia).
Old 3rd March 2015, 09:11   #27
BHPian

Wonderful review, even more beautiful car.

The details covered by designers suggest a deep emotional connect and understanding of needs & wants.

As usual, T-BHP great job done.
Old 3rd March 2015, 09:28   #28
BHPian

Beautiful review, Rehaan. Almost as perfect as the regular reviews on team-bhp.

While the current design language of Skoda made Rapid look too tiny, it completely compliments the look on the Superb. I am thinking this car is going to be way more expensive than the current Superb sold in India. Either that, or Skoda might skimp out on some features.

I hope some of these new features trickle down to the Rapid and Octavia sold here.
w0lf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2015, 09:33   #29
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed review. The innovations that Skoda has put in the car are really amazing and of course they have been well captured. The initial side view of the car especially the shoulder line reminds me so much of the Audi family A4 upwards. The head lights remind me of the A8L which is far away in terms of price etc but the cues are unmistakable.
If priced right Skoda have a winner on their hands. If I had the money I would buy this as my next car
Old 3rd March 2015, 09:37   #30
Team-BHP Support

Pardon the pun but a Superb review.

VW should now convert its plant into an MQB platform production centre for the next Polo, then the Golf maybe Jetta. Octavia and Jetta can be built at decent economies of scale giving us good value!

Last edited by GTO : 3rd March 2015 at 16:43. Reason: Typo
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed