Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2015, 15:10   #46
BHPian

Re: 2015 Skoda Superb : Official Preview

A detailed writing Rehaan. A big hi-five for five stars!

The car carries great level of detailing as your writing. I liked the brilliance in heat seats and steering. For a cold place like mine, Coorg, definitely these add to a great deal!

Also the auto switch to recirculate mode is a great idea. Does it get disengaged after the operation (wiper and reversing)? From the pictures, it made me think, I feel the rear under thigh support is little low as the head rest?

The auto boot open is very interesting. How does it really work? Can you please share some thoughts?

And finally -100 in 5.8 seconds thatsssssss awash a power!

Last edited by GTO : 3rd March 2015 at 16:48. Reason: Typo
Old 3rd March 2015, 15:44   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

There was a thread started by GTO a few months into my Team BHP membership when he asked for the best combination of cars with a 30L budget. My answer was a new Superb and a used Jazz: the former to impress the world and the latter to tool about the city running errands and stuff.

Two generations later the Superb is still one of my favourites. Great review Rehaan- this truly does it justice! Though I seem to be the only one disappointed that the "limo" look is history. Trust me nothing impresses my parents more than one of these luxo barges and I wouldn't mind hiring a day driver for 800/- just for that look of pride in their eyes as I pull up!

With this kind of feature list, and the fact that the Octy is firmly planted in mid-20s territory, I would guess the new Superb would easily cross 35L on the road. pricey but it's VFM I guess. The pre-facelift Supber 1.8TSI MT was available at 20L OTR not long ago- feels like an age though!
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2015, 16:05   #48
Senior - BHPian

Re: Interior - Front

Thank you for the detailed review of the new Superb. It truly appears to be an improvement on the current generation in every way. I like the way it looks from every angle.

The feature list is impressive. Although I do not find too many features that are not on offer in the Octavia as well, the Superb has some nice additions like the boot-opening trick and heated steering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
That 'swipe-your-leg-to-open-the-boot' mechanism was latest scene in the new S-Class isn't it? NEAT!
I think the Passat already has it in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I didn't catch any visible roof rack mounts. That said, the spec sheet says a roof rack is possible, with a 100 kg max load
This is probably reserved for the Combi/Estate version.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2015, 17:00   #49
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
I am guessing the base model will probably hit the 30 Big One OTR price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
The only thing that concerns me is the mention of Increase in price. The 25L price point(Vs. features) of the current model has been a very good reason this car has done well
Unlike the 1st gen Superb which flopped big time in India, the 2nd-generation (current) Superb succeeded because of its price + features combination. Skoda India won't forget that. The current Superb petrol was launched in India at a sub-20 lakh price. The diesel was 3.5 lakhs higher at about 21.50. Get this, the V6 AWD cost only 25 lakhs.

Of course, prices of all cars in the segment have moved up. The Superb Diesel already costs 30 lakhs on the road in Mumbai. Its only other direct competitor - the Camry - crosses 30 lakhs too. As we know, the Accord, Teana & Sonata have all been discontinued. Today, the small CLA & A3 charge 40 big ones for the top trims.

I'd say the new Superb might go 4 - 5 lakhs above the current model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
And that tow-hitch. LOL! Too bad the release lever is in the boot, else would have come very handy in many traffic situations.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2015, 17:04   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Unlike the 1st gen Superb which flopped big time in India, the 2nd-generation (current) Superb succeeded because of its price + features combination. Skoda India won't forget that. The current Superb petrol was launched in India at a sub-20 lakh price. The diesel was 3.5 lakhs higher at about 21.50. Get this, the V6 AWD cost only 25 lakhs.

Of course, prices of all cars in the segment have moved up. The Superb Diesel already costs 30 lakhs on the road in Mumbai. Its only other direct competitor - the Camry - crosses 30 lakhs too. As we know, the Accord, Teana & Sonata have all been discontinued. Today, the small CLA & A3 charge 40 big ones for the top trims.

I'd say the new Superb might go 4 - 5 lakhs above the current model.

Well i really hope it does work, and seriously pray that at least they are able to keep the base model around 25 OTR Bangalore. I will be in the market for a car end of next year to upgrade from Dear City, and we already have a cruze in family, so none of that segment tempts me.

Initially i was gunning for Audi A3 or CLA, but they suddenly seem so much out of favor. Hope the next gen jetta also arrives by then, so could be a direct shootout between Jetta and Superb.

Fun times await!!
Old 3rd March 2015, 17:31   #51
Senior - BHPian

The 2013 LWB Superb (isnt it?) always appeared as a good car that went under the hammer/knife of DC and he added a FOOT of steel exactly in the middle to elongate the car.

Thankfully this car doesnt look anywhere close to it, hope they tidy up their supply chain Ops and Customer facing team/dealers in India and it looks like we have a winner! Audi-3x/BMW-3x/Merc-Cx Beware.
Old 3rd March 2015, 17:43   #52
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Well i really hope it does work, and seriously pray that at least they are able to keep the base model around 25 OTR Bangalore.
Fat chance of that happening. The current Superb base MT costs 27 lakhs (before discounts) while the petrol DSG nearly touches 30 lakhs in Bangalore.

I doubt they'll even have the MT at the time of launch; lower transaction price & premium sedan owners anyway prefer automatics (zero demand = that's why no manual Mercedes C-Class, Audi A4 or BMW 3-Series).
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2015, 18:09   #53
BHPian

A day at work full of the usual conundrums and humdrum and I accessed my favorite forum to be able to attain salvation and what struck me as soon as I opened the webpage was a spanking 2015 Superb in all it's glory. Made me reminisce about my membership attempts on TBHP where the Gods that be, a.k.a our Moderators allowed me to be successful on my third try or was it the fourth? Never mind that, before it becomes a ramble, and well, call it fate that my last attempt to enter the elite membership crew was with the words "drool" and all I spoke about and rambled on was about my favorite barge, the Skoda Superb! *drool drool* I can't stop drooling and this upgrade is manna from heaven! What a beautiful lady she is and Rehaan - the review is absolutely heart stopping, but with a car this lovely, it's bound to be isn't it! *wink wink* Can't wait for it to hit our shores and I am already rubbing my palms with glee at the thought of a TD and then possible ownership!
Old 3rd March 2015, 19:26   #54
Senior - BHPian

Fantastically detailed review of what seems to be a fantastic car, I lapped up every word of it. If this isn't a 5 star review, I don't know what is.
Old 3rd March 2015, 19:30   #55
BHPian

Congratulations Rehann for your attention to detail.
Skoda is truly dishing out very elegant designs-First Octavia & now Superb- & with that level of kit! Tasty.
Though pricing will be key -me thinks in the Indian consumer's mind still lurks the after sales stories- once Skoda sorts these out -it's gonna be a smooth(er) run for them.
Old 3rd March 2015, 20:19   #56
BHPian

AWESOME stuff Rehaan!!!One just needs to add the drive report and we have a comprehensive review here!

I'll say what i said on the S Class report i dont know whether the car is worthy of the review of the review is worthy of the car!

I have to hand it to you I have never ever seen more attention to detail on any other review of any other car barring your report on the S Class and now this.

Skoda's attention to detail also needs a special mention here. Right from the boot light to the hard plastic stuff to keep items in the boot in their place every small feature is well thought out. Honestly dont think any other review on the WWW has this level of detail.

Forget 30 Lacs i fear this may well cross the 35 Lacs barrier. I hope and pray that there is a version priced on the right side of 30 Lacs OTR.

I dont know how a lesser brand in the group gets to create such an awesome vehicle. The New Passat as good as it may be I fear has already lost the battle especially in India.

Skoda have an opportunity to beat everything from the A/B Class, 1 Series to E Class/5 Series in terms of features and pricing.

I feel we may only get 1 petrol and diesel option which will be a real pity as i feel there is a case of the the 1.4 TSI atleast. I wouldnt mind buying a 1.4L TSI + DSG if it came with all the goodies. It maybe wishful thinking but nevertheles!

Time to start saving up for this one.

Last edited by miharbe : 3rd March 2015 at 20:20.
miharbe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2015, 23:36   #57
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 5th March 2015 at 09:27.
vineetg84 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 4th March 2015, 00:47   #58
BHPian

Nice review. Especially, the "DSG, striking fear" part. The level of detail they give their cars is just amazing. I just hope they get most of these features to India. At this point though, pricing is important to take a vice-like grip of the market. Let's see how they position it.

If only they can take some of the learning from their meticulous design into their after sales service.
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2015, 08:20   #59
BHPian

What a detailed, comprehensive and well-written review. Thank you Rehaan and Team BHP! I must say that this car definitely ticks all the boxes for someone who values quality and function (notwithstanding the various Skoda issues) over a brand name. Since my 2012 Passat should be 4 years old in 2016, hopefully when this launches, it should become my next car for sure. I hope Skoda resolves their issues relating to after sales service, in the meantime. I dare say that this car could give the C-s, A4-s, 3-s a serious run for their money.

Last edited by GTO : 4th March 2015 at 12:44. Reason: Typo
kurmist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2015, 08:58   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Though I seem to be the only one disappointed that the "limo" look is history. Trust me nothing impresses my parents more than one of these luxo barges and I wouldn't mind hiring a day driver for 800/- just for that look of pride in their eyes as I pull up!
Me as well, the current Superb with the bold grille and elegant rear picked up where Mercedes left off in the 90s )and gave off the regal look. The perfect chauffeur driven car

This one is impressive in its own way but is more techno-funk with all the LEDs. Resembles Audi in many ways rather than having its own identity. Having said that, one helluva car and one that Japanese will struggle to match.

Lots of little party tricks to wow you.... but practically speaking the well heeled Indian customer who can afford a Superb has drivers and maid servants will not be doing groceries or towing or using flashlights
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks