Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2006, 02:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Accent and Sonata Hybrids.

Media reports say Hyundai is set to launch the new Accent Hybrid in US in late 2006 and in Korea in 2007. The Accent Hybrid will come with a 1.4L CVVT 90hp conventional engine and a 16 hp electric motor.

No official word on Getz hybrids yet but apparently a few Getz hybrids are running around in Korea. Sonata Hybrid is being planned for the last quarter of 2007.

Quote:
HMC sponsored Korea’s first official hybrid pilot by providing 50 Getz hybrids to the Korean Ministry of Environment in October 2004.

The company has announced that it plans to develop and manufacture a Sonata hybrid by the latter half of 2007.
Full Article here.

Considering that Hyundai has always given Indians the latest from their model line up, will India's first hybrid come from Hyundai?

There are also plans to introduce a Kia Rio hybrid.

Kia Rio Hybrid.

Last edited by amit : 20th August 2006 at 02:39.
Old 22nd August 2006, 01:48   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit

Considering that Hyundai has always given Indians the latest from their model line up, will India's first hybrid come from Hyundai?
Probably not. Here's why I think so. Hybrid cars are still pretty expensive. I don't think the average Indian consumer would like the idea of paying extra premium for hybrid cars to get a few 10's of kilometers more/litre. And the parts are going to cost an arm and a leg to replace. Although hybrid cars have been around for some time now, I think the hybrid technology is still in its infancy and no manufacturer has yet figured out a way to produce cheap hybrid cars. I've yet to come across a hybrid car that does not cost almost 2X their conventional conterpart.
Old 22nd August 2006, 08:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsxei

Probably not. Here's why I think so. Hybrid cars are still pretty expensive
Yea I totally agree. I guess the Accent hybrid would cost as much as the Sonata Petrol and the Sonata hybrid would get priced around Superb TDi or maybe Mercedes C Cdi level! Besides, India has fantastic diesel engine technology which is getting more hi tech with some fantastic new engines next year so hybrids aren't as attractive to us as they are to the yankees.

Last edited by amit : 22nd August 2006 at 08:19.
Old 22nd August 2006, 10:19   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
....Besides, India has fantastic diesel engine technology which is getting more hi tech with some fantastic new engines next year so hybrids aren't as attractive to us as they are to the yankees.
True, but I think the real purpose of introducing hybrid cars is giving a certain direction for things to come - expensive today, affordable tomorrow. With the kind of price rise of petroleum fuels, this is the right way to head.
Old 22nd August 2006, 11:49   #5
Team-BHP Support

when MPFI technology first came, it was the purview of expensive cars. Now even the 800 sports MPFI. Same is the case with hybrids.
North America is the testbed. Once volumes pick up battery prices will drop, costs will drop. So its a matter of time. New tech always comes expensive at first. And then prices drop to a level that every car can be fitted in that.
Old 22nd August 2006, 17:05   #6
BHPian

Strong agreer on that. Given rising oil costs, which unlike earlier price spikes is not due to a supply cut by the OPEC, is here to stay. This coupled with the growing interest in Hybrid vehicles indicates that there is a trend and hence demand forming for hybrid vehicles.

Im totally for it!

Most Viewed