Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2015, 17:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

Volvo S90 to replace the S80; launch likely in 2015

The new Volvo XC90 received a very positive response since its reveal last year. Volvo claims that they have received almost 24,000 pre-orders or close to half of the expected full-year volume already. Drawing upon the reaction to the XC90, the Swedish car maker is now gearing up to replace its flagship sedan – the S80, with an all new model i.e. the S90.

Volvo’s VP of product strategy, Lex Kerssemakers has stated that the brand will take its lessons from the new XC90. The new sedan is expected to draw design cues from the Volvo Concept Universe that was revealed in 2011. Kerssemakers admitted that the large saloon market was contracting, but offered enough potential to make business sense. He added that markets like China and the USA still offer strong demand. Volvo UK managing director Nick Connor added that the new S90 will feature design and dimensions that are more premium that the S80, while the interior will be an evolution of the XC90’s cabin.

Apart from the exterior and interior design, the focus points will include in car technology and the car may even get a plug-in hybrid powertrain. An estate version named the V90 is also expected to follow soon after. The Volvo S90 is expected to make its debut later this year and like the S80, the car will rival the likes of the Mercedes-Benz E-Class, BMW 5-Series, Audi A6 and Jaguar XF.

Source: Autocar UK

Volvo S90 to replace the S80; launch likely in 2015-1.jpg

Volvo S90 to replace the S80; launch likely in 2015-2.jpg

Volvo S90 to replace the S80; launch likely in 2015-3.jpg

Volvo S90 to replace the S80; launch likely in 2015-4.jpg

*Volvo Concept Universe images for representation only
Tushar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2015, 20:42   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volvo S90 to replace the S80; launch likely in 2015

If this car comes with a hybrid plug -in configuration it will be well worth a serious look from my side. If the interiors are better than the current S80 is the icing on the cake. I hope they haven't scrimped on leg space at the rear. Volvo - bring this to India quick. Are those suicide doors at the rear to make ingress and egress easier for oldie goldies? Photo below picked up from the web - indicative. Has a bit of a space age look. Selfishly speaking I do hope Team BHP will have opportunity to review this car.
Attached Thumbnails
Volvo S90 to replace the S80; launch likely in 2015-volvoconceptuniverse05.jpg  

Last edited by V.Narayan : 15th April 2015 at 20:53.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks